Website Walker Warner
Walker Warner Architects is an award-winning San Francisco firm with a staff of 70+ that has completed many residential, winery, and hospitality projects in California, Hawaii, and other Western states. Our work is tailored to the uniqueness and diversity of each client and place, maintaining a consistent focus on design excellence, thorough project management, and superior service. We believe in collaboration, continuous learning, and sharing, and we actively support candidates on the path to becoming licensed architects. Our office is friendly and spirited, with regular happy hours, field trips, and design-focused presentations. We are conveniently located in SoMa within walking distance of all major transit systems.
This position is based out of the San Francisco office and is open to a hybrid schedule once onboarding and orientation is complete.
The Project Director role is critical in helping us continue to deliver exceptional results and help lead and develop our staff. This role reports directly to the Principal-in-Charge and provides proactive direction, oversight, and project management on a single large project of 100,000 sq. ft. or more and/or across multiple smaller projects running concurrently.
- Accredited degree in Architecture
- California State Architect’s license is strongly preferred
- 15 or more years of professional experience, including the design and management of large-scale, complex projects of 100,000 sq. ft.+ that include multiple buildings and multi-use space; hospitality and corporate campus experience strongly preferred
- Exceptional design sensibilities and ability to effectively develop and communicate concepts and ideas via hand sketching or other graphic means
- Demonstrated experience in detailing and coordination of construction documents and specifications, shop drawing and mock-up review, and site observation of custom architectural building systems
- Knowledge and experience with sustainability and integrated design are preferred
- Demonstrated ability to effectively oversee and direct the work of multiple project teams
- Demonstrated ability to communicate carefully, effectively, and professionally in all written and verbal communications
- Understanding of 3D modeling/BIM workflow (demonstrated proficiency preferred but not required)
- Possesses a high degree of attention to detail to produce accurate, succinct, and complete work
- Ensure consistent project design and delivery quality and approach across a large project team structure
- Track and respond to key project performance and health metrics, risks, and issues, including:
- Fees, Schedule, Budget
- Team, Client, Consultants, General Contractor
- Design, Deliverables, Agency
- Anticipate and recognize risks, gather information, and propose and execute solutions to help resolve issues that require immediate attention.
- Interface with clients, owner’s representatives, and other key stakeholders on behalf of the Principal-in-Charge
- Provide direction and oversight to Project Managers on team structure short and long-term staffing assignments and help organize workflow.
- Ensure Principal-in-Charge and Architectural and Business Operations leaders are proactively informed of project status.
- Ensure Project Managers and junior staff members are engaged and developing professionally; mentor and motivate teams and individuals to achieve excellence on every project.
- Balance the development of any firm-wide quality standards overall and specifically for large-scale, complex projects with ongoing and day-to-day Architectural responsibilities.
Walker Warner Architects offers a competitive compensation package, including fully paid health benefits for employees, profit sharing, employer 401(k) contribution, generous paid time off, and flexible spending accounts, plus so much more.
The hiring base annual salary range for this position is $150,000 – $210,000 (for the 2024 calendar year). Any final offer of compensation will be determined by a candidate’s education, skills, and experience, as assessed during the interview process.
Please submit your resume, cover letter, and portfolio samples with an indication of your role in the projects submitted. We will acknowledge receipt of your information, but only candidates being considered for a position will be contacted directly.
Please, no hard copies, drop-ins, or telephone calls. Reposting this job description elsewhere is not permitted.
To apply for this job please visit walkerwarner.applytojob.com.