Imagine getting to see the AEC industry’s most innovative, challenging, and provocative designs from leading-edge architects, designers, and artists before they’ve been built. Now imagine that it’s your job to shepherd them from sketch to buildable reality in a workplace that fosters creativity, champions problem-solving and resourcefulness, and encourages the pursuit of new ideas. If this seems like it would be both exhilarating and fulfilling, Eventscape encourages you to consider the role of Senior Project Developer/Estimator in our business development team.
Equal parts right-brained and left-brained, creative and practical, Rhino and Excel, the Senior Project Developer/Estimator plays a fundamentally critical role at Eventscape — turning leads into projects, challenges into opportunities, and the unknown into the achievable.
This senior role will play a critical part in strategic project development, working directly with clients to develop their designs into viable solutions that can then be quantified and cost. The ideal candidate will be a strong leader with a passion for challenging and unique projects, supported by a broad knowledge of materials, fabrication processes, and construction methods.
Projects range in contract value from hundreds of thousands to tens of millions of dollars and are unconstrained by material, scale, form, or complexity. Recent scopes include performative ceilings for world-class concert halls, visionary public art pieces, showpiece projects for major league sports arenas, custom architectural features for the world’s largest tech companies, and innovative environments for major retail brands.
- An infectious passion for discovery, creativity, cutting-edge design, and innovative fabrication
- An understanding that the “magic” of a project’s design isn’t always in those parts that are exposed to view but rather can be found in unseen layers and innovative processes that allow the complex to appear simple, the heavy to appear weightless, and the practical to appear impossible
- An insatiable curiosity for how things are made, coupled with an impulse to become an expert on newly discovered materials, finishes, details, and processes
- 10 years experience in similar roles within the AEC industry
- Relevant education in Architecture, Engineering, Construction Management, Architectural Technology, or similar
- A broad understanding of construction/fabrication materials, techniques, and processes
- Experience in interpreting architectural/construction drawings, written specifications, and contract documents
- Proficiency in Rhino, Revit, Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, and Excel
- The ability to lead and effectively manage and mentor junior team members
- Experience in design development for complex architectural projects
- A practical knowledge of estimating strategies and techniques, construction tendering, and procurement processes
- The ability to analyze and identify risks and opportunities
- The ability to build strong relationships with clients, internal teams, and vendors
- Well-developed graphic presentation and writing skills
- The audacity to embrace the unknown and the confidence to understand that while the answers might not be immediately apparent, they can be found through research, resourcefulness, and clever problem-solving
- Engage with clients (architects, designers, artists, developers, general contractors…) to understand their vision, absorb their priorities, and convey the challenges and opportunities associated with their designs.
- Enable the realization of projects that would otherwise seem too complex, too challenging, or too unrealistic to other fabricators.
- Shape the outcome of new projects by developing robust buildable approaches and establishing at the outset the most suitable means, materials, and processes to realize a client’s design.
- Develop complete RFP responses for a variety of procurement models, including ROM, stipulated price, design assist, and design-build
- Determine costs for potential project opportunities, including allowances for materials, labour, design and engineering, administration, logistics, and installation.
- Foster relationships with material vendors and service partners to ensure competitive costing, to stay abreast of new products, and increase knowledge and expertise
- Collaborate closely with Eventscape’s in-house designers, managers, and fabricators to ensure the most appropriate solutions are being pursued and the most accurate time allowances are being budgeted
- Communicate proposed fabrication solutions through 3D illustrations, written descriptions, diagrams, sketches, and schedules
- Mitigate risk through careful review of all provided bid documents – including tender instructions, drawings and written specifications, project schedules, pro-forma contracts, logistics plans, and insurance requirements – to ensure the RFP response is complete and accurate.
- Act in a leadership capacity for junior and mid-level team members, providing guidance, expertise, and insight
- Seek opportunities to improve the project development and estimating processes, implement efficiencies, and refine strategies.
- Maintain involvement with projects once awarded, helping to ensure the client’s vision is carried through while ensuring the project adheres to agreed-upon parameters and budgets are being followed.
- Participate in post-project reviews to analyze project performance and gain insights into the real-world application of those initial assumptions that formed the basis of the proposal.
- Track cutting-edge industry developments and look for opportunities to apply new and innovative technologies, materials, and processes to Eventscape’s projects.
- Further Eventscape’s reputation as an industry leaders and boundary pusher
- Contribute to internal dialog relating to corporate strategy, big-picture planning, capital improvements, and new initiatives
- You will make meaningful contributions to projects at the forefront of architecture, art, and design.
- You will deepen your expertise in materials, fabrication processes, and construction methods.
- You will be part of a fast-paced, creative, collaborative, and highly rewarding work environment.
- You will be able to leverage state-of-the-art machinery
- You will receive extended health and dental benefits
- You will be a valued member of a socially conscious and family-owned company
- You will build the extraordinary
Apply now with your resume and a brief cover statement.
If you need disability accommodation, contact human resources at (416) 231-8855. We wish to thank all applicants for their interest in Eventscape, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Eventscape is committed to fostering a workplace in which individual differences are recognized, appreciated, and respected. Eventscape will consider all qualified candidates and welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available for all stages of the selection process.
To apply for this job please visit eventscapeinc.applytojob.com.