If you're worried about the dirt and debris in your above the ground pool, the easiest way to keep it clean and healthy is using the best above-ground pool vacuum. In the absence of an above-ground automatic cleaner, cleaning the pool is not an easy job and requires hours of manually scrubbing the entire pool.
Above-ground pool vacuums have become a popular and relatively affordable way to ensure the hygiene and longevity of your pool. Unlike inground pools, which have an integrated filtration system, above-ground pools rely on removable electric pool vacuums and passive external to remove debris from the pools. In addition, these vacuums can sweep or scrub the inside of the pool without the need for draining, making them a great choice for swimming pool maintenance.
Finding the best pool vacuum cleaner on the saturated market is not a simple task. To help you find one that perfectly matches your needs, we have a review of the five best above-ground pools and the main features you should consider when choosing an above-ground pool vacuum.
How Do You Pool Vacuum?
Pool cleaning above-ground pools can be done through vacuuming, and there are 2 main ways to clean your pool:
- Vacuum to waste
- Vacuum to filter and backwashing
a) Vacuum To Waste Pool Cleaning
Setting your pool vacuum to waste lets you bypass the pool filter/cartridges and send the pool debris directly into the waste line. Generally, a pool vacuum will do the work that a floating pool skimmer cannot do; pool cleaning and polishing the pool bottom and sides of your swimming pool. That is exactly how you achieve that sparkling, clean pool we all love to take a dip in on that sunny Sunday afternoon.
The best pool vacuum will come in different options, but not every one of these pool vacuums on the market is suited for your specific pool cleaning needs; for above-ground pools. For example, when you have a lot of pool debris that's clogging the filtration system of your pool, you'll need the best above-ground pool vacuum to waste option. Pool debris that clogs your pool's filtration system will include dirt, silt, or other small particles that will definitely wear your filter out so quickly.
Your pool vacuum to waste settings will look different depending on the type of above-ground pool vacuum and filter system you have. For pool owners with a multiport valve, you'll want to use either the 'waste' or 'drain' setting.
If you have a push-pull valve instead, it will also depend on the type of filter you have for your swimming pool. The two most common filter types are the DE filters and Sand filters, and each has a setting of its own.
Why Should You Vacuum to Waste?
Short answer-Algae! The last thing you want to do as a pool owner is vacuum out the algae manually because this will definitely contaminate your filter, and your pool will still not clear up. In fact, the chances of you making it worse is quite high.
Also, to clean debris or remove dirt in large amounts, you'll need the vacuum to waste method. The vacuuming to waste cleaning method can only be accomplished if you have multiport valve controls in your pool filter system. This system bypasses your pool filter and sends all that unwanted debris through the waste line.
Note: The vacuuming to waste system often drains pool water, so always watch the water levels.
b) Vacuum To Filter and Backwashing System
Using a filtered vacuum on standard settings is probably the most common way to pool vacuum, and you'll probably do this for maintenance and keep your pool clean. As you vacuum, the filter system collects dirt, algae spores, debris, etc. That said, backwashing is the process in which you clean out your filter to prevent any buildup that might clog your system.
Once all the vacuuming is done, reverse the flow of your pool water that's going into the waste line and instead let out all the dirty water flow into a drain or onto the ground. Then, run the backwashing until the water is running clear. This process can be done using an automatic pool cleaner or a manual vacuum.
How Often Should You Vacuum The Pool?
There are a few factors always to consider when setting up your cleaning pool schedule. There are four main times to pool vacuum, which include: spot cleaning, seasonal cleaning, excessive usage, and for regular maintenance.
- Spot vacuuming is done on a need-to-need basis, for instance, after a summer storm or after a very windy day that causes a lot of debris to fall into your swimming pool
- Seasonal readiness would include times such as when you open up for the season or prepare for winter storage. The more thorough you are at closing up your pool for the winter, the less pool vacuuming you'll need to do when opening up in the summer
- Excessive usage of your swimming pool will definitely cause more dirt and debris to get into your pool water. For instance, there would be excessive usage after a large party or a week of consecutive pool usage. Ultimately, the more people you'll have getting in, and out of the swimming pool, the more feet you'll have that are carrying in the dirt
- Regular maintenance should be once a week unless you have a pool with heavy usage. The weekly cleaning routine will make pool vacuuming sessions much faster and help keep the algae from blooming
How do you vacuum for above ground pool?
1. Dolphin Escape Robotic Above-Ground Pool Vacuum
- Delivers unmatched performance in an above-ground cleaner at an...
- No messy bags! Large and in charge oversized debris cartridge...
- Hypergrip Continuous Tracks - leaves wheels cleaners in its wake!
- Hyperbrush Dual Scrubbing Brushes scrubs away difficult to remove...
- SmartNav 2.0 Robotic Scanning. Only 14 lbs. Energy Efficient 24...
Overall, Maytronics' Dolphin Escape Robotic vacuum ranks as the best above-ground pool vacuum for a lot of pool owners. This is an elegant vacuum that ensures that your swimming pool is free of both macro and micro-debris for that sparkling clean pool.
This above-ground pool vacuum comes with a patented HyperBrush scrubbing mechanism that's twice as fast as the brushes in most robotic pool vacuums. This means that it has vacuuming power that's powerful enough to deal with even the toughest sediments and particles in your above-ground swimming pool.
Compared to other robotic pool vacuums, it comes with bulldozer-like rubber tracks that maintain contact with the surface at all times. This is an advantage over the traditional wheel-based pool vacuums in terms of climbing ability, traction, and energy efficiency.
The Dolphin Escape above-ground pool vacuum also comes with a SmartNav 2.0 scanning system that optimizes surface coverage and pool cleaning time. In addition, as opposed to using bags, the pool clean filtration system is done using a large filter cartridge with microscopic filters that will definitely trap any debris and leave your pool clean.
As the best above-ground pool vacuum, the Dolphin Escape also comes with advanced hi-tech features and a state-of-the-art design that gives you an intensely deep-clean performance for a tremendous value. It's also backed up by a 1-year warranty and a 30-day hassle-free return policy.
2. Dolphin Nautilus CC Plus Robotic Pool Vacuum
- Hello, free time! Let the Dolphin Nautilus CC Plus robotic vacuum...
- The clean you need without the hassle. The Nautilus CC Plus was...
- Ditch the pumps and hose. Unlike the energy hogs that are...
- Clean your pool with the touch of a button. Schedule the Nautilus...
- With more than 35 years of cleaning the world’s residential...
The Dolphin Nautilus CC Plus, a robotic pool vacuum cleaner, is the best above-ground pool vacuum because of its ability to operate it simply. It features an automatic scheduling function that enables users to have a hands-off cleaning. In addition, it comes with two scrubbing brushes to deeply remove grime, a 60-foot cable with a 360-degree swivel for easy movement, and a large twin cartridge filter to capture different sizes of debris.
This pool cleaner requires minimal user intervention and has plenty of power. It uses its own power supply to navigate and climb the swimming pool walls, scrubbing even the waterline area. In addition, it comes with its own filter media where you can rotate between the standard duty filters for fine corrugated or general debris filters.
It is a good match for pools with a length of up to 50 feet because it can be programmed for a two-hour cleaning cycle. The Dolphin Nautilus CC Plus automatic pool vacuum cleaner also comes with an onboard scanner that shows the efficient path of travel in your above-ground swimming pools. This allows for thorough cleaning to happen within the cycle.
3. Pool Blaster Max Cordless Rechargeable, Battery-Powered Vacuum
- INCREASED POWER: The Max offers increased vacuum suction with the...
- WHOLE POOL CLEANER: Clean entire pool or Spot-Clean in seconds....
- CAPTURE MORE DIRT: The Max features a large debris capture...
- CORDLESS CLEANING: Perfect for quick and easy cleaning in the...
- MORE RUN TIME: The lithium ion battery powered Max is designed to...
If you're in search of an in-ground or above-ground pool cleaner that can clean almost every dirt in the pool, then you should consider getting the Pool Blaster Max cordless cleaner. As one of the best battery-operated pool vacuums, this machine can clean out most, if not all, of the debris and dirt from the pool, including leaves, silt, dust, and sand, in just 60 minutes.
It uses a lithium battery which means you can use it wirelessly. This makes it easy to clean around the ladder and also the hard corners around the walls. It uses a great multilayer filtration system that removes debris to ensure the pool doesn't remain with any exposed debris. This multilayer filter collects both large and fine debris.
The Max cordless rechargeable, battery-powered pool vacuum cleans above-ground swimming pools in just one hour. Its filter basket features a fine mesh. In addition, it comes with a nose cap, body cleaner, vacuum head, filter bag, and lithium battery charger.
4. DOLPHIN E10 Automatic Robotic Pool Vacuum
- The easy way to a clean pool. The Dolphin E10 robotic pool vacuum...
- Take back your free time. The Dolphin E10 will have your pool...
- Dolphin does all the hard work for you. The E10 was designed to...
- Save energy with every pool cleaning. The E10 does not require...
- With more than 35 years of cleaning the world’s residential...
The DOLPHIN E10 Robotic pool vacuum is one of the best automatic pool cleaners, perfect for a tiny above-ground pool. It is quite affordable and supports several modern cleaning technologies, including advanced brushing technology. It features better transaction services and better dynamics for its improved wheels.
This above-ground robotic vacuum is lightweight, weighing just 13.7 pounds. This makes it simpler to lift and carry without needing help. Operation is easier with just a single button click. It only comes with one button on the control board used to turn the machine on and off. With advanced filtering and powerful pool floor scrubbing capabilities, you can easily clean the pool without much effort.
The DOLPHIN E10 automatic pool cleaner will help clean out almost all types of debris in the above-ground swimming pools. It comes with an advanced brush that quickly and effectively removes the bacteria and algae from the surface. It also has a great suction rate, and each cycle lasts for about 90 minutes.
5. Intex Auto Pool Vacuum
Above-ground pool owners looking for the best above-ground pool vacuum for Intex pools should consider getting the Intex Auto pool cleaner. It comes with a powerful pool pump that gives it excessive cleaning power. This ideal vacuum cleaner features four small plastic wheels that help it move around the pool.
However, the wheels are not as powerful, so the vinyl liner won't spin and scrub properly. In addition, it is not a suction pool cleaner since it is operated using water pressure. Instead, the Intex Auto pool cleaner features a 24-foot long hose which is great for a rounder pool that is 24 feet in size and a rectangular one that is not more than 16 feet.
This whole cleaning process depends on the return water inlet location since it is a pressure-based automatic pool cleaner. The Intex Auto pool cleaner comes with a small brush set at the base, which hangs on the floor, making it possible to remove most debris, sand, and dirt.
Once the pool is cleaned, the debris stuck on the net needs to be removed and thoroughly washed with flowing water. Ensure that both the skimmer basket and filter of your Intex Auto pool cleaner are clean after the whole cleaning process.
6. Poolvergnuegen The Pool Cleaner Automatic Suction Pool Vacuum
- 2-wheel drive cleans pools up to 16’ x 32’
- Patented self-adjusting turbine vanes provide maximum power at...
- Patented tire treads for enhanced climbing and obstacle...
- Patented adjustable roller skirt optimizes suction on uneven...
- Multiple pre-programmed internal steering sequences ensure full...
The Poolvergnuegen, The Pool Cleaner, is one of the best suction pool cleaners with excellent efficiency. It features a modern Derbys management technology that will allow you to clean out all types of debris and dirt from the pool. This pool cleaner is quite manageable, but it may be a little limited if you have a lot of debris in your pool.
However, it can quickly clean the pool in a short time. It features two wheels on both sides and a flexible turbine van set. Pool owners can easily adjust the turbines according to the floor environment of the pool such that the large debris won't obstruct its movement. This will prevent the hassle of adjusting the vans and help you save time.
It features a steering technology supporting an automatic system that quickly changes the position and direction during pool cleaning. It has multiple steering cycles to ensure the cleaning is efficient. The strong tire treads give it a climbing ability to scrub the walls and enable it to work in any pool size and volume. The three interchangeable throats help in cleaning large debris.
7. XtremepowerUS Premium Automatic Suction Pool Vacuum
- 10 hoses included for up to 30' pool. Ideal for cleaning bottom...
- Require at least a 1 hp swimming pool pump or 1600 GHP to...
- No tools required and no electricity needed; Attaches to your...
- Cleaner should be moving about the pool at a rate of 8 to 12 feet...
- Automatic operation by self-navigating around the water on set...
The XtremepowerUS Premium automatic suction side pool vacuum is a wall-climbing is one of the best above-ground pool vacuums that's relatively affordable thanks to its simple design and construction. Unlike other above-ground pool vacuums, you won't need tools or electricity with this pool vacuum since it's powered using its own pump. The pool's pump is built to power it to move in the pool water at a speed of 8-12 feet per minute.
At this level of power, the pool's pump helps trap dirt and debris in your pool's filtration system without the need for any extra wiring or powering. In addition, this above-ground pool vacuum comes with a suction side that's powerful enough to maintain suction, making it an ideal choice when cleaning the pool bottom and lower wall.
As a suction side above-ground pool vacuum, it's also specially designed to work in an inground pool, irrespective of the pool shape and size of your inground pool. But unfortunately, since it doesn't scrub the surfaces or plan its route, you'll have to leave the pool vacuum in the water a lot longer to achieve the ideal results.
8. Zodiac Ranger Suction Side Automatic Above-Ground Pool Vacuum
- Effectively cleans above-ground swimming pools (not recommended...
- One moving part technology, eliminates annoying hammer or flapper...
- Unique Deflector Wheel helps prevent it from getting caught on...
- Comes pre-assembled for easy installation and includes 32 feet of...
- AG Disc allows the Ranger to glide effortlessly along the bottom...
The Ranger from Zodiac is a pool skimmer vacuum that's designed for a safe and skid-free performance in above-ground pools. This includes above-ground pools with dished-out bottoms that are up to 72 inches deep. In addition, this above-ground pool vacuum comes equipped with a unique deflector wheel that's designed to prevent it from getting stuck on lights, steps, or any other pool features.
As one of the best above-ground pool skimmer vacuums, it comes with a base disc that facilitates its smooth gliding along the pool bottom, tight areas and up the pool sides. In addition, it's incredibly quiet without all the banging or flapping sounds, that's common with this kind of vacuum design since it only operates using one moving part. These features rank it one of the best automatic pool cleaners for deep above-ground pools.
9. Pool Blaster Catfish Ultra Vacuum Cleaner
- CAPTURE MORE DIRT: Catfish Ultra features higher debris capacity...
- CORDLESS: Rechargeable Lithium Ion Battery. No hoses or cords...
- VERSATILE CLEANING: Spot-Clean in seconds or clean the entire...
- RUN TIME: The lithium ion batter powered Catfish Ultra is...
- EASY OPERATION: Push-Button operation. Lightweight and easy to...
The Pool Blaster Catfish ultra vacuum cleaner is the best above-ground pool vacuum for pool cleaning when you have a lot of sand in the pool. Generally, it's designed to trap a wide range of debris, including acorns, leaves, twigs, dirt or sand.
If your pool needs a good deep clean, this cleaner will definitely impress you with the results.
10. Milliard See-Thru Pool Vacuum
- Handle has spring-loaded locking clips for attaching standard...
- Triangular plastic body is see-thru for maneuverable and accurate...
- Weights keep the vacuum head at the bottom of the pool where it...
- Nylon bristles at the bottom are gentle on pool floors and...
- Vacuum head is molded from ABS plastic to be durable, long...
Generally, manual pool vacuums are simple devices you can use on any pool. That depends on whether you have the right hose, telescopic pole, and pool skimmer. This affordable vacuum option pairs up with a 1.25-inch or a 1.5-inch hose and a 2-pound vacuum head to help keep it at the bottom of your pool.
This above-ground pool vacuum can also clean inground pools, including angled brushes on the triangular vacuum head tip. This feature makes it easier to clean and scrub grime off corners. It also helps clean where the walls and the bottom meet.
With nine brushes on its bottom, this vacuum removes and directs the dirt into the suction hose. Also, note that this only comes as a vacuum head, so you'll need to get the hose and extension pole separately.
How To Choose The Best Above Ground Pool Vacuum?
A) What Are the Types Of Above Ground Pool Vacuums?
Above-ground pool vacuums come in different types, including;
i. Robotic Pool Vacuums
Robotic above-ground pool vacuums are independent, but they may require a bit of setup that includes plugging in the cord then placing it in the water. The robot will therefore clean the pool all by itself. They also come with filter bags.
The pressure side pool vacuums depend on the pressurized water from the pump to clean out the debris and dirt. Pressure-side pool vacuums have filter bags and may not require a backwash like robotic vacuums.
The suction pool cleaner is usually connected to your pool pump and depends on it. It features a long hose connected to the skimmer to ensure it reaches every edge of the pool. You may need to backwash the filter and clean the skimmer basket after cleaning the pool. This means that it requires a great deal of maintenance, but they are one of the best choices available in terms of affordability.
The battery-operated vacuums are mostly handheld vacuums that have no hose or cords to deal with. When the vacuum cleaner has a full charge, it can clean the dirt, leaves, algae, and other debris for a continuous 30 minutes, with some going up to one hour.
B) What Is The Pool’s Shape And Size?
The performance of an above-ground pool cleaner will depend on the size and shape of the pool. This determines how much energy and power is required to clean the pool. Basically, a small to medium-sized can work well with a suction cleaner, but if the pool is too big and has lots of debris and dirt, then robotic cleaners are recommended.
C) What Is The Garden Hose Length?
If you consider choosing the suction cleaners, you need to ensure that it comes with a proper hose length. This is one of the most critical features to achieve an effective above-ground pool cleaning process. If the vacuum doesn't have enough length, it's pretty much useless, no matter how powerful it is.
D) What Is The Pool’s Existing Filtration System?
It is crucial to know the filtration rate of the pool cleaner to ensure you will get better quality water. It is also necessary to ensure the water has gotten an excellent cleaning as you would have intended. Ideally, the pool cleaners should be able to filter at least 70 gallons of water every minute.
E) What Type of Pool Debris?
While searching for a swimming pool cleaner, you need to know the common types of dirt found in the pool. The dirt in your pool can significantly influence the type of pool cleaner you purchase, so it's not wise to ignore this factor. The common dirt types in your pool may be small debris, sand, or more significant things like leaves. The robotic pool cleaner is recommended for picking bigger debris, while the suction cleaner is best at picking smaller debris.
F) Is It Maneuverable?
No matter the type of above-ground swimming pool cleaner you choose, it should be easy to control. If you're not comfortable using the automatic ones, you need to ensure that the handheld ones can easily maneuver and are easy to use.
G) What Is The Suction Power?
Depending on the debris found on your pool floor, the vacuum should be powerful enough to clean out the largest and the smallest debris and dirt found in the pool. Therefore, you need to ensure the vacuum has the maximum suction power you need to clean the pool thoroughly.
H) What Are the Additional Features?
Primarily, above-ground pool vacuums are simply used to pull and remove dirt and pool debris from the pool's floor, leaving the pool clean. However, leading pool vacuum manufacturers try to include additional features such as a remote control, scheduling function and hose swivel.
- Remote control is ideal for users who'd rather not jump into the pool or pull up the cleaner every time they plan to clean the pool. Instead, the pool owner just needs to push a button and voila
- Hose swivels that prevent tangling or getting kinked up. A kinked/tangled hose will reduce the power and performance, and if it repeatedly kinks on the same spot, it might become torn or damaged
- The scheduling feature is a premium function that's available in robotic above-ground pool vacuums. This allows you to set a cleaning schedule that will automatically and regularly activate the cleaner to clean and maintain your pool
Even if you have an automatic cleaner, every swimming pool does need a manual vacuum. Automatic vacuum cleaners are such time-saving equipment, but like every other machine, they might develop some issues and not clean.
Frequently Asked Questions On The Best Above Ground Pool Vacuum
1. How Long Should Vacuums For Above-Ground Pools Run?
Although the pool filter might clean all the water in two hours, you might run it for a shorter period to save energy. However, the time depends on several factors, including the size of the pool, the amount of debris, and the season. For example, during summer, the chances of bacteria are higher, and it is recommended to run the vacuum for about 12 to 14 hours a day. However, bacteria and algae may not thrive in cold water.
2. How Often Should You Vacuum Your Above-Ground Pool?
It is recommended that pool owners should vacuum the Above ground pool once a week. However, this largely depends on the pool's environment, that is, if debris and dirt accumulate in your pool quickly. Also, after heavy storms or sand storms, your pool may require cleaning. Mainly, how often you should clean the pool is dependent on the observations you make on the pool.
3. Do Above-Ground Robotic Pool Cleaners Pick Up Algae?
Yes. Most above-ground robotic pool cleaners can pick up algae because they move all over the pools cleaning the water lines, floors, and walls. In addition, advanced robotic cleaners feature a brushing technology that efficiently cleans out algae, dirt, gunk, and debris from the pool.