Besides replacing that mismatched traditional loveseat pair right in front of your TV, swivel chairs are the perfect way to create a cozy, sophisticated and luxurious look. These stylish chairs come in different fabric options and lovely design styles and finishes. The best swivel chairs for living room spaces will compliment your home decor, whether as a single chair or a perfect pair.
Like any purchase, you'll need ample research to help you understand what product suits you most. Lucky for you, we did all the search and testing, so you won't have to. So besides helping you find the best swivel chair styles that won't need you breaking the bank, we'll help you understand what determines the ideal features most suitable for you.
Why Are Swivel Chairs so Popular?
First, what is a swivel chair?
It is a chair with a 360° swivel base instead of traditional chair legs. With this, you can fully rotate the chair in any direction with minimal effort— an elegant way to enjoy your living space without having to get up or physically turn, don't you think?
Most people, including me, would always picture office chairs when someone mentioned swivel chairs. However, with a few stylish and sophisticated swipes, the lovely modern swivel chair has leaped from the board room to the living room— especially in small spaces.
There are many reasons to get a stylish swivel chair, which include:
- Did we mention the stylish part? A swivel chair is a perfect furniture piece that elevates your home decor to its A-game. These chairs are a great alternative to lounge chairs and a great way to add personality and create conversation areas in your living room.
- Since many swivel chairs have a lean small profile, they work best for small living rooms and small spaces.
- The best swivel chairs are versatile enough to use in an office space, library, nursery, reception area, and study area.
- Most swivel chairs come with a matching ottoman, which makes them a great alternative to rocking chairs for parents.
- A comfortable swivel chair is ideal for supporting your back or neck or anyone who has suffered from any form of physical pain or injury.
- Most swivel chairs are armless, making them ideal for people with pets.
- This is the perfect chair for living spaces with irregular layouts or several focal points since you can sit and turn a swivel chair to face any direction while using it.
TIP: When measuring and planning on the space you want to use, always calculate the diameter of the swivel chair to help make sure that you have enough space for it to rotate fully.
Here is a list of the best swivel chairs in different styles, upholstery, shapes, and price points, that we identified to help you shop for the perfect swivel armchair for you.
1. JOYBASE Lounge Swivel Accent Chair with a Matching Ottoman
- [UPGRADED] ★ Chair Features 360° Swivel Design ★ Barrel...
- 360 DEGREE SWIVELING BASE - Metal round base frame and sturdy...
- ALL-DAY COMFORT - They're upholstered with VELVET for a luxe...
- ALWAYS BE IN STYLE - This comfy addition to your living space...
- DIMENSION - Chair Dimensions: 31.7"W x 33.5"D x 33.8" H. Ottoman...
On unboxing the JOYBASE Lounge Swivel and Accent Chair, we first noticed the rich premium quality velvet fabric upholstery with button tufting and zigzag stitching. This screams luxury, making this a great stylish way to elevate your space and make it more inviting. It also works well if you have a small living room.
Besides the living room, it has a contemporary mid-century design that makes it ideal for your lounge area, office, nursery, bedroom, library, or reading nook.
In addition to the premium quality upholstery, we noticed that it has an extra comfy thick cushion with a barrel-style back. We experienced so much support and comfort from the matching ottoman that was well-filled with foam on a supportive structure.
Our research found that this swivel chair features a sturdy metallic 360° swivel design that can optimally support 250 pounds of weight. In addition, it has non-slip protective pads on its feet, which meant we could move it to whatever part of the house and rotate it without scratching the floors.
On the downside, it doesn't come preassembled, so it will need some level of assembling. However, the setup was easy to finish and did not take us long.
2. CHITA Power Recliner Swivel Glider
- 【Power Glider Swivel Rocker Recliner Chair】Designed with...
- 【Not An Average Nursery Chair】Although not quite visible, the...
- 【Recliner with Footrest】Extending footrest and reclining...
- 【Bonus Features】 Built-in USB charging ports for easy...
- 【Simple Assembly & Warranty】Just slide the back into the seat...
The Chita Power swivel chair is a reclining and gliding chair designed with moms' comfort in mind. But just on unboxing this chair, we could tell this is not the average nursery chair. We noticed that it quietly and smoothly swivels up to 270°, glides, and reclines, all with the push of a button. The recliner reclines between 90-135° to cover all the different postures you might need.
Image Credits: chitaliving.com
Besides the reclining feature, it also comes with an extending footrest that allows you to fully stretch and relax, which makes it perfect for reading or watching TV while you sleep.
It has a lumbar cushion that's meant to offer that much-needed extra back support, especially if you sit for long hours. The cushion is attached to the chair to help keep the room clean and tidy— an aspect that we really liked!
From research, we discovered that it has a patented Leggett & Platt mechanism that has passed the 25,000-cycle life test with a weight limit of 350 pounds. This information was quite reassuring to have as we were purchasing this chair. You might not see it, but sitting on it, you could tell the difference.
It also has bonus features such as built-in USB charging ports, which come in handy when you need to charge your devices while sitting, so you won't have to move to charge them elsewhere. Now you can comfortably continue reading from your device even when it runs low on charge.
We were also happy to learn how simple the assembly is; just slide the back part into the rest of the seat, and you're all set!
3. Rosevera Hearst Swivel Accent Chair
- [Fashionable] Resting on a rotating base, the Rosevera Gustavo...
- [360-Degree Rotation] The swivel rotational base utilizes...
- [Complimentary Toss Pillow] In addition to this elegant piece, we...
- [No Assembly Required] Here at Roservera Furniture, we understand...
The Rosevera Gustavo Hearst Swivel Chair comes in the form of a round extra-comfy barrel chair. It has the perfect silhouette that we easily noticed since it's built to provide back support by staying snug against your lumbar region. The armrests are also at the perfect height.
Image Credits: amazon.com
The rolls of the polyester upholstery along its well-defined edges further outline the silhouette of this barrel chair in a way that we found so appealing. Additionally, this elegant piece also comes with a matching throw pillow for extra support along your entire body in its grandeur appearance.
We were pleased to learn that the swivel rotational base is constructed using industrial-grade metal ball bearings for sturdy, smooth, and silent rotations. This feature also allows the barrel chair to turn in whatever direction you need as you watch TV or work. The ball bearings also help ensure longevity and durability.
This also works perfectly well for small-spaced living rooms, bedrooms, and libraries.
We know that assembling furniture can be a hassle, especially with abstruse instructions! So imagine how delighted we were to realize this elegant piece doesn't require any assembling. All we needed to do was unpack the chair and start using it within a few minutes.
4. Setawix Modern and Cozy Swivel Barrel and Club Chair
- [3 Throw Pillows] : This elegant swivel chair comes with 3...
- [360 Degree Swivel]: The modern accent chair is installed on a...
- [Upscale Material and Design] : Our premium chenille fabric makes...
- [Diverse Application]: The oversized accent chair is suitable for...
- [Assembly Required]: Assembly tools and the user manual are...
The Setawix Modern Swivel Chair is both a barrel chair and a club chair. This is an elegant swivel chair that comes with four different-colored cushions for extra support of your back and arms.
Image Credits: setawix.co.ke
One of the first things we noticed about this stylishly cool chair is its premium quality chenille fabric that's extra soft and smooth. In addition, it has an ergonomically curved backrest that's a well-padded seat to create an effortlessly comfortable seat for support and the right posture.
As a modern accent swivel chair, it was interesting to learn that it has a firm 360° swivel base on a plywood frame. The strong support structure assured us that this oversized chair could freely rotate without toppling over because of its size or shape, no matter who was sitting on it.
This accent chair has a great aesthetic that blends quite well with different spaces and interior designs. This means that it can be used in different occasions and spaces— especially small ones. For instance, this would be a great option instead of having a regular armchair in your study. Additionally, it'd be great for your bedroom, hotel lounge, and reception area.
We thought it also makes a great cuddle chair!
Unfortunately, it needs some assembly, but we were also pleased with how easy it was to assemble. The user manual included in the package also came in handy with that.
5. Rivet Coen Modern Upholstered Accent Swivel Chair
- Add the finishing touch to any room with this contemporary accent...
- Overall: 30"W x 31"D x 28"H; seat height: 16.93"H; seat depth:...
- Solid-wood frame with swivel mechanism. Fabric upholstery over...
- Clean, curved, contemporary style complements modern, minimal,...
- No assembly required.
The Rivet Coen Modern Swivel Chair is one of the best swivel chairs with a silhouette that instantly elevates your space. Besides the shape, we loved the amazing colors that this contemporary accent swivel chair came in, including ink blue, maize yellow, charcoal grey, and forest green.
Image Credits: pinterest.com
Fortunately, it doesn't require any assembly, and each chair option under this range comes with a solid wooden frame in a unique and curved design. That in addition to the near-perfect rating from many reviewers, we thought it was also one of the best swivel chairs for living room spaces that are small— and offices too!
Lastly, it also has an affordable price point compared to most swivel chairs.
6. BFZ Swivel Barrel Chair
- Soft Fabric: Designed for your lounging comfort, this elegant...
- Sturdy Base & Frame: The 360-degree rotation base is made of...
- 360° Swivel & Ergonomic Designit: It boasts a barrel silhouette...
- Enjoy Your Life: Its simple yet elegantly designed round swivel...
- No Assembly Required: When you received barrel chair, you can use...
The BFZ Swivel Chair takes a barrel silhouette that's clearly designed for lounging. This elegant swivel chair comes in a soft velvet skin-friendly fabric made from lamb wool for extra comfort and luxury.
Image Credits: bfz.com
Besides the extra soft fabric upholstery, it comes with comfy high-density foam throw cushions for the ultimate support—the perfect centerpiece in your nursery, especially if you are limited in space.
From our research, it has a sturdy metallic 360° rotation swivel base and a durable hardwood frame. The shape, sturdy metal base, and wooden frame combo give this chair the capacity to hold a maximum weight of 380 pounds.
The barrel silhouette is in a swiveling construction, offering convenience and mobility while you lounge. Besides a soft padded seat, it has an ergonomically curved back to offer more comfort. These two features offer a surprisingly great sitting experience, perfect for the reading nook.
Additionally, the simple yet elegant round shape of the BFZ Swivel Chair just proves that round swivel chairs are the answer to attaining the perfect balance between function and luxury style. This accent chair is a unique decor addition with an aesthetic suited for various occasions and interior design spaces. This would work well for your library, hotel lounge, bedroom, nursery, and office.
We were happy to learn that it comes preassembled, so it doesn't require any assembly.
7. LLS Velvet Swivel Accent Chair with A Matching Ottoman
- [360-Degree Rotating Base & Strong Stability] The uniquely...
- [Ergonomic Design] The velvet accent chair with ottoman utilizes...
- [High Quality Fabric & Easy to Maintain] Made of upscale tufted...
- [Versatile Use & Luxury Appearance] This chair and ottoman has a...
- [Assembly & Dimensions] Chair Dimensions: 31.73"W x 33.50"D x...
The first thing that stood out for us is that this high-quality Velvet Swivel Accent Chair comes in a tufted luxurious mid-century style. The velvet fabric upholstery gives it a retro luxury feel that is versatile for use in any setting, including placing it in the study, library, lounge room, or living space. It helps create an inviting, warm space, especially if you are working in a small space.
Image Credits: lls.com
The fabric upholstery not only makes it super soft and comfortable, but it also makes it easy to maintain and clean. All we needed was a clean damp cloth to clean up the spills.
The matching retro-style extra cushiony ottoman makes this chair so comfortable to sit or sleep on. We noticed it doesn't wrinkle no matter how often you use it, which shows just how great the quality is.
Additionally, the chair has a tufted cushion back that is well-filled with a sponge for ample support. It also has extra padding on the head, back, loin, and armrest areas. This helps release muscle tension and reduce pressure on the neck and back area. The ottoman also comes in handy when you must put up your legs to relax while reclining.
In addition to the extra thick padding, this elegant chair is uniquely designed with an ergonomically curved back and a high-quality, durable, metallic 360° rotating base. The sturdy construction and design support up to 250 pounds in perfect stability. In addition, we loved the non-slip protective pads, which help protect the floor from scratches.
8. Coolmore Modern Akili Swivel Accent and Barrel Chair
- Poduct Dimension:42.9"*41.3"*25.1" Packing Size :...
- N.W: 28KGS G.W:33KGS Style: Modern leisure swivel
- The max weight capacity: 300Pound Materials:Metal, Upholstered...
- Comfortable And Durable: Ergonomic curved back and a soft padded...
- Upscale Materials: fabric, soft to the touch, durable, flexible,...
The Coolmore Modern Akili swivel Accent and Barrel Chair comes in a comfortable and durable make with an ergonomically curved back. In addition, it has extra soft foam padding on its seat, which provides more comfort than you could imagine; an extra squishy feel for you while you read that book over a mug of hot chocolate on a Sunday afternoon.
Image Credits: coolmore.com
Just from the look, we could tell that it has good quality construction and material. The fabric is extra soft to the touch, never wrinkles, and feels just as durable. Its swivel base is durably and firmly well-spaced from the floor with metallic legs that won't rust or fade with time— yes, we checked a couple of times to be extra sure.
By design, this swivel chair is suitable for use in different spaces, not just in your home. It's perfect for your living room, bedroom, and office. It's also a lovely alternative to a vanity chair for your reception area.
Additionally, the chair has a durable star swivel base equipped with five pieces of 360° swivel wheels; besides moving in any direction, this also assures faster movement. The swivel chair can support a maximum of 300 pounds.
Lastly, we found this swivel chair quite easy to install, making it one of the best swivel chairs for living room spaces you can work with.
What to Consider as You Buy the Best Swivel Chairs for Living Room Spaces?
The right swivel chair can switch your living room from a drab to a fab. With all the different types of swivel chairs, getting the specific one that's most suitable for your space can seem a little overwhelming.
A. What Type of Chair?
Ideally, the best swivel chair should complement your existing furniture while maintaining its functionality. Fortunately, there are many different styles to choose from that suit different aesthetic looks.
Types of Chairs
Just as the name suggests, these chairs feature arms in their construction.
ii) Slipper Chairs
They are armless, giving them a lighter, smaller, and more streamlined look. These chairs are ideal for all kinds of rooms, but they work well in spaces with an open floor plan and areas with lots of movement.
iii) Side Chairs
These chairs also don't have arms but are smaller in design and have higher backs and legs, like dining chairs. They are best paired together in spaces with more visual weight or along a sidewall. They are ideal for creating added seating space without cluttering the space. They also work well when coupled with writing desks.
iv) Lounge Chairs
These are often best if you need big chairs with wide and deep seating space. Most also come with matching ottomans for extra comfort.
v) Barrel Chairs
They have round backs; they look like barrels sliced vertically in the middle. The circular design makes them ideal for smaller spaces.
vi) Club Chairs
They originated in social clubs; they were first created to provide next-level comfort. They feature high arms, a thick-padded frame, and rich quality upholstery
B. What Is the Purpose?
The reason why you're getting the swivel chair helps dictate the best swivel chair styles. So here are some questions you can ask yourself to help narrow down your options and identify the best choice:
- How will you use the chair in the room?
- Are you going for a casual or a more formal design?
- How much space is in the room?
- Will the chair need to be moved as often?
- How much support do you need?
The chair that fills out most of the spaces in this checklist is most suited for you.
C. What Interior Design Style?
Here are some interior design styles and tips to help you:
Interior Design Styles
- Modern look: This clean, minimalist look uses straight clean lines and minimal curves. Leather swivel chairs do well in this decor style.
- Mid-century modern style: This look still maintains a minimalist look which aims to capture the inherent beauty and functionality of the industrial age using construction materials. For instance, the Scandanavian wood from the 1930-1960s does this well.
- Contemporary style: This modern style has a warmer look with slightly more ornamentation and curves. Modern swivel chairs do this well.
- Traditional style: This look makes use of curvy, ornamented furniture styles that create a warm and inviting feel to the room.
- Transitional look: This furniture style captures a morphing of traditional to modern style.
- Rustic look: This furniture style uses raw, worn-out-looking upholstery and metallic pieces that appear as antique.
These are the most popular decor design projects you can go by.
D. What Fabric Upholstery?
There are fabric options to suit your specific taste. Leather and ultra-suede are two of the most durable fabric choices. Unfortunately, that also explains why leather swivel chairs are one of the most expensive.
The lower-priced options include cotton, polyester, and synthetic blends; still, this doesn't mean that they are any less durable. They are also easier to maintain. In addition, many of these fabrics can be pretreated for extra stain protection. Other fabric choices include velvet, linen, microfiber, and wool.
Frequently Asked Questions on the Best Swivel Chairs for Living Room Spaces
1. How much space should you maintain between swivel chairs?
Ideally, you'd need roughly 40" of space between a pair.
2. Where should you put a swivel chair in the living room?
The most popular spots to place your swivel chair include:
- Near a coffee table
- Across or perpendicularly to a couch or loveseat
- In the empty corner
- Next to the fireplace
Ultimately the right place will depend on the shape of your living room and the decor style you want to pull off.