What is a crawl space dehumidifier you ask? These are devices that intend to assist in the removal of any excess moistness and also get rid of high humidity levels from the air. High levels of humidity in your crawl spaces can be the main reason for a lot of unfriendly consequences in your house. Examples of such consequences are; heavy odors in your house, mold problems, allergy triggers, presence of pests, and structural damage. Subsequently, proper care of your crawl space moisture problems should be vital to any homeowner. This benefits your crawl space by making it less hospitable to fungi, heavy odors, bacteria, and all the problems mentioned. Also, assists in the circulation of fresh and clean air in your home.
Finding a high-quality crawl space dehumidifier for your crawl spaces can be difficult. The size of your crawl space dehumidifier should be categorized by how many pints of water it draws from the air per day (24 hours). In that case, 30-pint crawl space dehumidifiers draw 70 pints of moisture per day, whereas the 70-pint dehumidifiers draw 70 pints per day. 1 pint is equivalent to 0.125 gallons or 0.47 liters.
A great crawl space dehumidifier outdoes the moisture-absorbing bags and any other dehumidifier gadgets. Irrespective of the style, any dehumidifier works by pulling air in and extracting moisture from the environment. The air then passes over coils or sinks, dependent on which style before it’s ready to be collected. Some models use tanks to care for the collected moisture while others use pumps or a hose.
The Best Crawl Space Dehumidifier
This Aprilaire 1820 Pro Dehumidifier is one of the best crawl space dehumidifiers in the market. This powerful machine is ideal for crawl spaces or any closed basements and it also removes up to 70 pints (32.9 litres) of water from the air daily. This model not having a messy bucket or tray to empty is one of its best features. You should just use a hose to empty or position the machine next to or straight over a drain. Follow this by leveling it, plugging it in, choosing your preferred settings, and letting it run uninterruptedly.
Moreover, it has a mobile control panel that one can mount and also can place on the side of the top of the unit for easy access. Although, this is reliant on how your crawl space has been built. Plus, it comes covered by a notable 5-year warranty increasing the durability chances.
This machine is a long-lasting buy because it is sturdy and durable. Plus, it uses coils that are made of corrosion-resistant aluminum that help to prevent any leakages. The filter is the only thing that has to be cleaned or changed annually and this makes it easy to maintain.
Conclusion of this crawl space dehumidifier
The Aprilaire 1820 is among the top crawl space dehumidifiers available because it comes with some very rich features, it’s very efficient in terms of humidity control and also is simple to use because of its interactive display. Apart from that, it can get rid of up to 70 pints (32.9 litres) daily. Besides, you can set your ideal humidity level, and when the humidity exceeds that level, it automatically turns itself on. Some people refer to it as a “set-it-and-forget” control feature.
The noteworthy downside comes during installation. The model Aprilaire 1820 Pro crawl space dehumidifier weighs about 56 pounds (25.4 kg). This can be problematic to lift into place without seeking help. Nevertheless, it is important to note, depending on how your crawl space looks like, you might need to hire an expert.
- It comes with a drainage hose
- Eliminates up to 70 pints (32.9 litres) of water daily
- Has an easy-to-use display
- No water tank to empty
- Comes in a user-friendly interface
- A portable design which you can place anywhere
- Contains two dehumidification capacity size options to choose from
- Requires you to change filters only once a year hence minimal maintenance.
- It has a mount control panel on the top or side unit for easy access
- Slightly bulky and may need an expert for installation
- It is a bit louder than other models
- Not as energy-efficient as other options
- Relatively expensive in comparison to other models in the market
Other Great Crawl Space Dehumidifiers
This MIDEA MAD50C1ZWS Dehumidifier is an energy-star certified with the Environmental Protection Agency. It has been proven to be more efficient than other machines in the market. Besides, it is very convenient and has a smooth and clean look. This 70-pint model is the largest size in this model range. It is also a workhorse dehumidifier with decomposable and lasting filters.
It is worthwhile to go a size larger than the recommended one, as it will last longer. This crawl space dehumidifier is very easy to fit in in your home design. It is 4,500 square feet (418.06 m) crawl space dehumidifier that removes roughly up to 70 pints (32.9 litres) of water daily.
Additionally, this is a pleasant choice suitable for basement use, bedrooms and any other crawl spaces. The removal of moisture is tougher at low temperatures and hence the need to add sheer airflow. This helps the crawl space dehumidifier to be faster and more effective.
Usage of this crawl space dehumidifier
This MIDEA MAD50C1ZWS crawl space dehumidifier has handles and wheels that enable it to move around smoothly and with no trouble fitting in your crawl spaces. Also, it has a quiet fan that draws moisture out of the air, and hence it’s not disruptive. The airflow it comes with is very high. Airflow is usually crucial when it comes to dropping humidity levels too low temperatures. This model has double the airflow capability which is 320 cubic meters of air per hour, in comparison to standard crawl space dehumidifiers.
Although it may not be convenient when emptying the tank daily, there is also a gravity-fed drain hose outlet. After emptying the tank, connect the hose to the built-in gravity feed that allows continuous drainage. By using a drain hose, the need to empty daily is eliminated. All you have to do now is to clean the filters monthly and also ensure general care every few weeks. Plus, MIDEA alerts when its cleaning time. Also, the easily cleaned filters take away the need to buy spare parts.
Additional features of this model of crawl space dehumidifier
Furnished with modern advanced features, this MIDEA model has an auto-restart function that guards the system against any power outages. The auto-restart means that this crawl space dehumidifier will turn itself back on following a power outage. Similarly, it is energy-efficient and won’t spike up your electricity bills.
The one problem this model has is the lack of a water pump. One has to get a hose. Also, when used for long periods, it heats up a bit.
In conclusion, this Midea crawl space dehumidifier comes with 1-year parts and labor warranty, plus a 3-year extended warranty. This is a pleasant addition to the dehumidifier and ensures the item works properly and lasts for a while.
- Has handles and wheels for easy transport
- Intuitive controls with 4 different settings
- It has a wide coverage area of 4,500 square feet
- Great value for a 70-pint dehumidifier.
- The auto-restart feature turns itself back on after power outages.
- Powerful turbo mode increases de-humidification when needed.
- It has an Automatic Shutoff
- High Affordability and Huge Coverage Area
- Extremely Quiet
- It works outstandingly well in low-temperature basements
- Brilliant energy-efficiency
- Contains huge side vents to remove 70 pints of water
- Large working temperature range
- Filter cleaning indicator
- Efficiency problems of adequate water withdrawal
- Runs hot when used for long periods
- Improper care triggers the growth of mold
- The delicate hose can develop leakages quite easily
- It needs manual emptying of the bucket
- Its fan motor is louder than other models.
The Ivation 50-Pint dehumidifier is mainly famous for its effectiveness. It is compact and a powerful crawl space dehumidifier that is perfect for bedrooms, or even basements that have an area capacity of 3000 square feet (278.71 m). This dehumidifier comes with a pump and also has an additional long drain hose which ensures continuous drainage. With this device, you get all the great qualities you would want in a high-quality dehumidifier. Those qualities are such as easy operations, low maintenance, convenience, and a blend of both power and energy efficiency.
On the other hand, this crawl space dehumidifier features a smooth design. This gives it the best aesthetics together with an outstanding performance. This model also comes with a compressor that works to maintain your environs, at sufficient points of humidity for an ideal atmosphere. It mainly assists in removing any extra moisture in the air and also any bad odors, mold or allergens in your house.
Additional features for this crawl space dehumidifier
Ivation portable crawl space dehumidifier brings forth additional features like auto-restart function which comes handy in the case of power outages and auto-shutoff which helps when the water container is full. Then again, it has an auto-defrost function that guards the crawl space dehumidifier against internal damages in the event the temperatures are low than required. It comes with a bright LED which indicates the filter alert, fan speed, timer, and also the humidistat. The fan features two speeds, the regular or the turbo and it allows the user to select the level of speed for the fan between the two speeds. Furthermore, the humidity level can be set for 24 hours and it runs nonstop. This is very convenient.
This 50-pint (23.66 litres) Ivation model is easy to maintain and does not need any more expenditure on maintenance. There is no required purchase of new filters as the existing ones when washed, function as if they are new.
On the notable negatives, this crawl space dehumidifier is relatively noisier than a user would want it, but it is not a major inconvenience.
- Highly portable because of the size
- Easy-Empty Reservoir
- Filters are easily washable and reusable
- Frost Sensor
- Two fan speeds
- An environmentally friendly and energy-efficient dehumidifier
- Convenient Timer
- Features an LED interface
- Comes with an auto-restart and a safety auto shut-off function
- Very easy to operate and maintain
- Hose Hookup
- Perfect for spaces of up to 3000 square feet
- No extra cost for maintenance needed making it cost-effective
- It is a loud operation
- The dehumidifier is expensive as compared to others
- Emptying the water tank is tricky as the water tank gets stuck
- This dehumidifier does not come with screws to hold it in place
- The needed screws are hard to locate
This Aprilaire 1850 Pro dehumidifier is a 95 pint (44.95 litres) device and signifies an impressive and highly classified crawl space dehumidifier in the market today. It is perfect for dehumidifying your entire house since it removes 95 pints (44.95 litres) of humidity from the air. It is designed for large areas and works well hand in hand with your HVAC system to get rid of immense humidity amounts from the air in your house.
With its 95-pint (44.95 litres) moisture removal potential and 3000 SQ FT (278.71 m) coverage area, this crawl space dehumidifier is adequately powerful to have and keep every home dry irrespective of their dimensions. Additionally, this dehumidifier performs three times as much as other leading brands of dehumidifiers and uses less than 5 kilowatts of electricity per hour.
The crawl space dehumidifier Aprilaire 1850 Pro features a digital display and humidistat for improved usability and its performance can be perfectly described as large and in charge. It’s made of a durable rust-resistant steel material highlighting a gray shade and is built to last for long periods. Even though this model is quite heavy, it has an extremely small footprint. It is important to also note that it has modifiable outlet options that permit users to employ either the top or the side to release moisture.
The Aprilaire 1850 is a low maintenance crawl space dehumidifier, with no messy buckets or trays to dispose of. It comes with an easy to clean filter that is done once in a year. Lastly, for the best care of your crawl space dehumidifier, it comes backed up by a 5-year warranty.
- Comes with powerful built-in controls with easy to read displays
- Easy to clean filters
- Has an auto-defrost function
- The noise levels are quite controllable
- Extensive 5-year warranty
- It is very easy to set up
- Adjustable outlet options
- Low maintenance
- Very efficient for moisture removal
- Ideal for smaller spaces
- Highly portable
- Quite costly
- It’s quite heavy
- The fan runs nonstop
- A bit loud
- It’s not that energy efficient
- Not many features; few functions
- Does not have handles
The Honati Home Dehumidifier 2000 ml is a compact home dehumidifier that is a perfect crawl space dehumidifier for tiny spaces. This option is an ideal choice for domestic and office uses. It has a beautiful design and greatly effective. It is made of plastic and weighs approximately 5.64 lbs (2.56 kgs). Besides, it comes with a 2 L reservoir that is easily cleaned and drained. This model easily removes about 750 ml (0.75 litres) of humidity from the air. The tank is made in a clever way to fit well in small spaces and this makes it easily portable and storable.
This Honati crawl space dehumidifier comes with an in-built automatic shut-off for care against any spilling of water when the water has reached the top of the tank. It has an LED light that indicates that the water level is full. To drain the water, use the knob to take out the water, empty it, and finally return it. You will not need to often empty the tank but consecutive draining must take place every 3 days of operation.
This crawl space dehumidifier also brings forth a one-button process that boosts the convenience. This one-button control button is located on the top of the dehumidifier. It powers on and off with one press. Plus, it contains an air filter that assists in trapping unwanted dust particles which is easy to clean and operate.
In conclusion, this crawl space dehumidifier comes with a one-year warranty and a 3-month unconditional return policy.
- 2L Water Tank
- Super lightweight
- The water tank is large for the maximum extraction of humidity
- Easy Draining
- One-button operation
- Compact portable design
- The water is very easy to empty
- Ease of use
- Requires minimal maintenance
- Low moisture removing capacity
- This crawl space dehumidifier may not function well in temperatures below 50ºF
- Fewer functions
- Loud and noisy
- The plug does not stay intact
Benefits of Using a Crawl Space Dehumidifier
- The best crawl space dehumidifiers help in balancing humidity levels in the house.
- Crawl space dehumidifiers get rid of mold, fungus, and stuffy odors. It is very important to get rid of them as they are the leading causes of plenty of respiratory issues. They affect particularly the kids and also the elderly. Also using dehumidifiers helps to avoid triggering asthma symptoms.
- When dehumidifiers get rid of excess humidity from the hair in your home, they make it easier to protect all the things in the house from moisture.
- Crawl space dehumidifiers also make it simple to control indoor humidity and set it to a favorable and recommendable level.