There are instances when you need to reset your Generac generator. While resetting the generator is an easy task, you need to do it, right. There is everything you are seeing right now, from the yellow light blinking to the green light and red light to consider. If your main question is how do I reset my Generac generator, you have come to the right place.
How to Reset Generac Generator
As we mentioned above, there are many instances when you need to reset your Generac generator. However, we will focus on two main instances: after an oil change and when you need to reset the red or yellow light on a Generac generator.
How to Reset Generac Generator after an Oil Change
Use the following start for the reset maintenance to ensure your generator is functioning properly;
- Ensure the Generac generator is in the off mode.
- Press enter to turn the generator off. The enter button is on the generator and should not be hard to see.
- If the turn-off button is missing, you will need to place the generator into its off position and let it sit for 30-seconds after turning it off.
- After the time has elapsed, turn the generator to its manual position, and it should turn on.
- Once the generator turns on, please test it and run it for five minutes.
- After five minutes have elapsed, turn the generator back off.
- Wait for thirty seconds, ensuring the generator is completely shut off.
- Put the generator unit to its Auto position.
Your generator will start and run at its normal speed if you have followed these steps.
How to Reset Yellow Light and Red Light on a Generac Generator
There are three status lights on the Generac generator; the green light, the yellow light and the red light. Each light indicates a different thing that you should know about if you own these generators. Green means all is good, yellow is the maintenance light, and the red light means something should be checked by the dealer. Yellow light can further indicate that the battery charger has lost power.
Here are steps you can use to reset the yellow light;
- Determine how old the Generac generator is. It is easy to reset the lights on a newer generator.
- Turn off the generator.
- Carefully and slowly hit the enter key twice.
- Switch the generator on by pressing AUTO.
If you get the fault mode red light instead, try the following steps:
- Turn off the generator by pressing the off button
- Press up, up, Esc, down, up, Esc, up, enter, in that order.
- Navigate the word dealer using the up button, and press enter
- Look for dealer edit menu
- Use the up button to look for reset maintenance and press enter
- Press Esc until you see the display blinking "system."
- Press Enter
- Press AUTO
- The display will read "Ready to run." The status light should turn green if you follow every step.
How to Reset Generac Generator Alarm
Of the Generac error code types, the alarm is one you should watch out for because it can trigger a shutdown anytime. If you see the error code 1505, the alarm occurred during the start cycle. This is a cranking alarm and can not occur when the device is running. Also known as the RPM loss alarm, the shutdown will be triggered when this alarm occurs. Use the following steps if any alarm condition exists:
- Put the generator in stop mode
- Press enter twice
The alarm is cleared, leaving the generator sitting in stop mode.
Generac Codes and Their Meanings
- Code 1100- Overcrank. You may need to reset and restart the unit. The generator can have a good crank signal without starting. This may be caused as the system reconnects after a power failure switch.
- Code 1200/1205- Overspeed. This means that the generator is running at a high RPM. The problem could lie with the ignition coils.
- Code 1300-Low oil pressure.
- Code 1505- Alarm occurred during the crank cycle
- Code 1600- Underspeed
- Code 1900-Low voltage.
- Code 2100-Overload
Knowing your way around your Generac generator will reduce your worries tenfold if anything happens. Reset the maintenance due light often and pay attention to what the generator tells you. Generac made generators that self-diagnose, and it should make your work way easier when using the generators.
Image Source: Generac.com