If you are fascinated by hummingbirds or love bird watching, you can get a hummingbird feeder. With the best hummingbird feeder, you are bound to lure at least a couple of these birds into your window or yard.
What is a hummingbird feeder?
A feeder is a container that is specially designed to feed hummingbirds or hummers. These containers come in a couple of designs and have different nectar capacities, from 1 ounce to 50 ounces. The feeder will allow you to watch or observe the bird closely while feeding the birds, especially when flowers have not blossomed.
Most hummingbird feeders will have a feeding port with a flower design that will help lure the birds and provide them with fresh nectar to the bird. Additionally, the feeder will help feed the bird in the late summer. We have identified some of the best hummingbird feeders that will help you attract and feed the hummingbirds.
1. First Nature Hummingbird Feeder, 993051-546 16 oz Red
- The bright red color attracts the most inquisitive hummingbirds
- With easy-to-fill wide-mouth jar Reservoirs and two-parts bases,...
- The feeding ports will accommodate several hummer's at a time
- With First Nature hummingbird nectar concentrate, you can mix the...
First Nature Hummingbird Feeder is a great option that will come with an easy-to-fill and clean mouth. The plastic hummingbird feeder has 16 ounces capacity of sugar water and allows a couple of hummingbirds to feed simultaneously.
The first nature feeder will easily come up are provide you with an easy refilling and cleaning time. This feeder has a sturdy and durable design that makes it super durable. The first nature hummingbird feeders also have a bright red color that will help lure a bird easily. The amazing thing is it has several feeding ports that allow several birds to feed simultaneously.
This is the best overall feeder seeing that it will cater for and attract the birds and is affordable. Additionally, you could purchase several pieces and place them around your garden for decor and feeding purposes.
2. Aspects HummZinger HighView 12 Oz Hanging Hummingbird Feeder
- The feeder includes a high view perch that invites hummingbirds...
- Bright red cover attracts humming birds from a distance and is...
- Constructed of unbreakable polycarbonate.
- 4 feeding ports.
Aspects HummZinger HighView, 12 Ounces Feeder, is a small saucer-style feeder that can only cater to a few birds at a go. The Aspects can hold 12 ounces of nectar and has four feeding ports.
This Aspects HummZinger is constructed with super durable, unbreakable polycarbonate plastic material that makes it sturdy. In addition, the feeder is easily separatable, which will give you an easy time while filling or cleaning. The feeder also comes with a built-in ant moat that will help keep bees and ants away.
This best hummingbird feeder has a high view perch to lure the birds and give them a comfortable resting place. Moreover, this feeder has a red cover that will also help entice the hummingbirds from a distance.
3. Perky-Pet Window Hummingbird Feeder Iridescent Color
- Feeder attaches directly to windows for up-close bird watching
- Three hollyhock-inspired ports are soft & flexible for a natural...
- Feeding ports are tapered to keeps bees out of nectar
- Mount two ways – use the suction cup or hang from a nail
- Comes apart completely for easy cleaning. Holds up to 8 oz of...
Perky-Pet Window Feeder is the best hummingbird feeder that you could hang right outside the window. This perky pet feeder holds up to 8 ounces of nectar and will hold a couple of birds at a go. It has a great design with hollyhock-inspired feeding ports that are bright and flexible, just like natural flowers.
This perky pet plastic feeder has transparent reservoirs and a red base that will help lure the birds. The perky pet also features a perch that provides comfort while the bird is feeding. This window hummingbird feeder has suction cups on the back that allow you to fasten the feeder safely to your window.
The fantastic thing is it is an excellent option for people who love watching hummingbirds or birds in general. Additionally, the feeding ports on the feeder are tapered or tapered to keep bees away.
4. Grateful Gnome - Hummingbird Feeder
- ???? VIBRANT BEAUTIFUL COLORS TO ATTRACT HUMMINGBIRDS ????: We...
- ???? EXPERIENCED GLASS ARTISANS ????: Each product is handmade...
- ???? GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE ????: At Grateful Gnome, We Worship...
- ⭐ RUGGED MATERIAL AND EASY TO CLEAN ⭐: Hand blown glass is...
- ???? THE PERFECT GIFT ????: Gift This To A Friend or Family....
Grateful Gnome Hand Blown Glass bottle is exclusively handmade by talented artisans. This glass hummingbird feeder is made with beautiful, attractive colors that will help entice and satisfy hummingbirds.
The Grateful Gnome glass bottle is a firm, solid, and super durable design. Additionally, the glass is embedded with two layers of glass that will not fade nor scratch easily. It also has a rubber seal ring to help block and limit leakage from the reservoir and the base.
The Grateful Gnome Glass Feeder can hold more than 20-ounce capacity. The hummingbird feeders feature four flower feeding ports and have a round perch that helps satisfy the hummingbird comfortably. Additionally, it is easy to fill and clean.
5. Muse Garden Hummingbird Feeder for Outdoors
- WONDERFUL COLORS TO ATTRACT HUMMINGBIRDS: The blue bottle is...
- HANDMADE MEANS UNIQUE: Each product is handmade and unique, which...
- ALL-ROUND CARE FOR HUMMINGBIRDS: The base is equipped with perch...
- CONVENIENT TO USE: Easy to assemble, fill, and clean, the base is...
- RECYCLED MATERIALS: This item is made from recycled materials to...
Muse Garden Hummingbird Feeder for Outdoors is great if you are looking for an artistic piece and feeder. This blown glass has a great fade-resistant design with a wide mouth, which makes cleaning it much easier.
This Muse Garden Feeder for Outdoors is constructed with a metal and plastic base that is fade and rust-free. Additionally, the feeders have four feeding ports that look like a flower to help lure the birds and a perch that will help the bird rest.
The amazing thing is that it has wonderful colors that will lure hummingbirds and have a fascinating color while hanging around your yard. Additionally, it has an ant moat that will help prevent bee and ant invasion.
Types of Hummingbird Feeders
There are two main types of Hummingbird feeders: bottle feeders and dish feeders.
1. Bottle Feeders
The bottle feeders or the inverted feeders are a common type that most of us are familiar with. This bottle hummingbird feeder usually has large reservoirs for the nectar and is great for people who enjoy watching birds. The amazing thing is that you can observe from a distance when you need to fill the feeders.
2. Dish Feeders
The dish, tray, or saucer feeders are relatively smaller and will supply a couple of birds at the same time. The dish feeders used feeding ports and will have an ant moat which will help reduce pest invasions. The advantage is it is simple to clean and refill.
Factors to Consider Before Purchasing the Best Hummingbird Feeders
The very first factor that you should consider while buying the best hummingbird feeder is the material. The material you pick should be weather resistant. You can opt to get a glass or plastic material, but the important thing to note is that the material should be easy to clean. Choosing a dishwasher-safe material is an added advantage.
The glass feeders are the best material because they will not need too much attention like the plastic feeders. However, if you opt to choose the plastic feeder, you will need to ensure that the feeder is made with high-quality food plastic that is UV safe. You should also remember to check the material used to make the other pieces, like the hanger and base. Ensure that they are made of high-quality metal that is rust-free.
It is important to consider the size of humming feeder you will purchase depending on the number of birds you want to serve. They are available in different sizes from 1-32 ounce capacity. The small-sized feeder will come in the form of an 8 ounce and can serve a couple of birds at a go. A large feeder usually holds more than 32 ounces of sap and will supply several hummingbirds.
While purchasing a hummingbird feeder, you will need to look if they have an easy cleaning technic. A feeder must be cleaned regularly, maybe once or twice a week, which will help prevent the growth of molds or bacteria, which is harmful to the birds.
You could look for a feeder with a wide mouth or removable pieces. The wide mouth reservoirs will make it easy to clean the feeder compared to the narrow bottle type. Additionally, the feeder with removable pieces will not only make it easy to clean but will also make it easy to refill.
When purchasing the best hummingbird feeder, color is a very important factor to have in mind. Always remember that hummingbirds are attracted to bright colors. Bright red is one of the well-known colors that attract hummingbirds. Another great color to use is yellow; however, with the yellow color, you will most likely have to deal with insects since the color will easily attract bees or wasps.
5. Ant Moats
You could opt to get a feeder that has ant moats. The ant moats will help prevent crawling insects from invading the feeders. The sugar water you use will most likely attract the ants, and ant moats use a water barrier that makes it hard for ants to cross. If the feeder you have does not have a built-in ant moat, you could purchase it separately.
Tips on Keeping Bees and Ants away from your feeder
Having insects like bees and ants invade the hummingbird feeder can be annoying. To prevent continuous invasion of the insects, you could choose a feeder that has features to protect them against the insects. However, if you already have a hummingbird feeder that does not have these features, you can use the tips below to help get rid of the annoying insects.
- If bees or ants continuously swarm the feeder, you could move the location of the feeder.
- You could also create another feeding or attraction place for the insects.
- Keeping the hummingbird feeder super clean will ensure that the insects will not invade.
- You could also use a fishing line to hang the feeder. Crawling insects like ants will have a hard time climbing to the feeders.
- Positioning the hummingbird feeder high up will also help keep the insects away.
Frequently Asked Questions about the Best Hummingbird Feeder
1. Are plastic or glass hummingbird feeding ports better?
Both plastic and glass hummingbird feeders can be used, but a glass hummingbird feeder is easy to clean, more durable, and more sturdy. These glass feeders will contain plastic parts like covers, perches, and feeding ports.
2. Do hummingbirds prefer homemade nectar?
Hummingbirds will take both flower and homemade nectar. Making homemade nectar has additional benefits and is super easy to make. The good thing is you can even make the sap using basic home ingredients like starch or even buy ready commercial mixes.
3. How often should you change nectar?
The nectar of the humming feeder should be changed regularly. For instance, you should change the sap at least every two days during the summer or hot weather and change it at least once a week during cold seasons.