8 Best Adirondack Chairs for Winding Down All Summer Long
Warmer weather equals more time spent outdoors in your porch, backyard, patio and even around the fire pit. With the right outdoor furniture, such as the best Adirondack chairs, you can relax and enjoy the breeze while enjoying a cup of tea or a cold beer.
Adirondack chairs are big for comfort and relaxation. It is hard not to fall asleep once you slide into the natural recline with a reclined back and sturdy structure. From the classic solid wood Adirondack chair to modern designs like the Adirondack rocking chair, plastic Adirondack chairs and so on, there are many designs and styles to choose from on the market.
So, suppose you are searching for comfortable and stylish outdoor furniture to post up in and really kick back your summer or enjoy the outdoors. In that case, this article will share our best Adirondack chairs and a buying guide to help you choose a suitable style for your home. These iconic pieces of furniture take your outdoor lounging to a whole new level of charm and comfort.
What's On This Page?
- Are adirondack chairs comfortable?
- 1. Best Rated: Best Choice Folding Wooden Adirondack Chair
- 2. Best Rocking: SERWALL Folding Adirondack Chair
- 3. Best Classic: Signature Design by Ashley Sundown Adirondack Chair
- 4. Best Value: Lokatse Home Outdoor Wooden Adirondack Chair
- 5. Best All-Weather: Flash Furniture Charlestown All-Weather Adirondack Chair
- 6. Best Reclining: Highwood Hamilton Folding and Reclining Adirondack Chair
- 7. Best Modern: Polywood Modern Adirondack Chair
- 8. Best Wood: Outdoor Interiors Eucalyptus Wood Adirondack Chair
- 9. Best Plastic: Lifetime Adirondack Chair
- 10. Best for Kids: KidKraft Wooden Adirondack Chair
- 11. POLYWOOD Classic Folding Adirondack Chair
- 12. Keter Adirondack Chair Seating
- 13. ResinTEAK Folding Adirondack Chair
- 14. Highwood Classic Westport Adirondack Chair
- 15. DAILYLIFE HDPE Adirondack Chair
- Factors to Consider in the Best Adirondack Chair
- Frequently Asked Questions on Adirondack Chairs
A Brief History of the Adirondack Chair
It all started in the summer of 1903 when Thomas Lee went for a vacation with his family at a cottage in Westport, New York, hence the more traditional name as the Westport plank chair. Thomas was quite underwhelmed by the uncomfortable Victorian furniture available, so he set out to design and build what he thought was the perfect chair for outdoor lounging. He then began tinkering with knot-free slabs made from the evergreen eastern hemlock found in the Adirondack mountains, a sturdy, low-resin wood.
With helpful insight from his family members, he soon enough happened on an organic design. It involved putting together eleven pieces of lumber from a single plank. He came up with a low chair with a deeply-pitched seat, a slanted high back and generous armrests. The rest of the story gets a bit foggy beyond this point, but the Adirondack chair (even as we know it today, particularly the look and feel) had been born.
Are adirondack chairs comfortable?
Campfire tales aside, here's our roundup of the best Adirondack chairs that you'll find on the market:
1. Best Rated: Best Choice Folding Wooden Adirondack Chair
- BLENDS WITH ANY SETTING: Classic style perfectly complements and...
- SPACE-SAVING AND MOVABLE: Folding design makes it simple to store...
- CLASSIC DESIGN: Natural Hemlock wood and Adirondack design...
- COMFORTABLE SEAT: Large seat, tall backrest, and wide armrests...
- CUSTOMIZABLE: Built with a natural finish so you can have a...
Finding an Adirondack chair that will seamlessly blend with your outdoor decor can be quite the hustle with the various designs and colors on the market. Fortunately, this solid wood Adirondack chair by Best Choice comes with a beautiful natural finish to complement your style, including furniture you may have on your porch, patio or garden.
This classic Adirondack chair made of natural hemlock wood is designed to withstand any weather condition. It has a foldable design in case you want to store it safely when not in use. In addition, the frame is lightweight and easy to carry.
This outdoor Adirondack chair does not play when it comes to relaxation. The large seat is very comfortable with a tall backrest and wide armrests. This is perfect when you want to read a book outside, watch your kids play in the backyard or catch up with friends and family around the fire pit.
2. Best Rocking: SERWALL Folding Adirondack Chair
- INDOOR & OUTDOOR USE: Our patio adirondack chair is built for...
- WHY CHOOSE SERWALL? Material of SERWALL- HIPS: High Impact...
- WEATHER RESISTANT AND FADE-PROOF: SERWALL Adiorndack Chair will...
- PRODUCT DIMENSION: 30.6" x 31.9" x 38", The seat height of...
- LIFETIME GURANTEE: We want our customers to be 100% happy and...
If you love to add colors to your space, you will be lost for choice with this Serwall folding Adirondack rocking chair. Designed in a beautiful Aruba blue color, this classic Adirondack chair is foldable to enhance easy storage. Additionally, it is made of High Impact Polystyrene(poly lumber) material which is weatherproof, low maintenance and feels like real wood, although it is more durable.
Boasting the classic Adirondack chair design, you can style this rocking chair both indoors and outdoors. The 380 lbs load capacity accommodates anyone to sit on the chair. Additionally, the armrests are wide enough to provide support and comfort. You will also love that the chair material and construction are solid and durable to withstand sun exposure and other elements without fading, peeling, cracking or chipping.
3. Best Classic: Signature Design by Ashley Sundown Adirondack Chair
- OUTDOOR CHAIR: Need a little extra comfort outdoors? This chair...
- DURABLE DESIGN: Made of virgin high density polyethylene (hard...
- BOLD RED: The textured grain in red strikes such a stylish pose...
- MULTI FUNCTIONAL FURNITURE: Measures 31" W x 34" D x 38" H. This...
- ASSEMBLY REQUIRED: Easy-to-follow instructions, hardware and...
We are not afraid of color when it comes to choosing outdoor furniture and you shouldn't too. This red hard plastic Adirondack chair is the perfect addition to your patio garden when you want to spend more time in nature and away from screens. The virgin high-density polyethylene material has a textured grain finish that sheds rainwater easily.
The durable design weathers all seasons without wearing out. This means that you can enjoy the shell-back snapping plastic Adirondack chair any time of the year. Since it is multi-functional, this chair pairs well with a side table on your porch, patio, or outdoor deck since it is multi-functional. However, the only downside is that it is not foldable, which is not a big deal if you plan on leaving it out throughout the year. Additionally, there are other colors like beige, grey and turquoise to choose from in case red is not your favorite.
4. Best Value: Lokatse Home Outdoor Wooden Adirondack Chair
- DURABLE CONSTRUCTION - Our wood adirondack chair built with...
- ERGONOMICALLY DESIGNED - The classic design of this adirondack...
- BLENDS WITH ANY SETTING - Natural hemlock wood and adirondack...
- PRODUCT DIMENSION - Overall size adirondack chair: 30. 3"(L) x...
- CUSTOMER SERVICE - Our store offering free replacement or refund...
The biggest draw for this Adirondack chair is arguably its affordable price point. While you might be tempted to think inexpensive chairs would be rough, this one from Lokatse is relatively smooth and polished, even on the end cuts. In addition, many reviewers vouch for the comfort and coziness of this chair, including its excellent quality build.
Due to the attractive price, the Lokatse Wooden Adirondack Chair is a great option if you want to buy a set. In addition, they tend to look splendid in numbers around outdoor firepits.
5. Best All-Weather: Flash Furniture Charlestown All-Weather Adirondack Chair
- Get your flip flops and sunglasses and prepare to relax on a...
- Vertical lattice back, extra wide and long arms
- Weather-resistant polystyrene frame, stainless steel hardware
- Contemporary style fits nicely in any outdoor setting
- PRODUCT MEASUREMENTS >>> Overall Size: 29.5"W x 33.5"D x 35"H |...
If you're looking for a sturdy, comfortable Adirondack chair that's also weather-resistant, then this is an excellent option for you. It can withstand summer, rainstorms, hail and plenty of moving around more than other wood chairs, all while retaining its bright color. The wooden grain material also looks very natural in the outdoors.
This Adirondack chair is heavy and well-built, meaning it can survive the outdoors all year round. You never about it being blown over by strong winds or during a storm. Most of all, this is one of the most comfortable chairs to sit in. Plus, it's maintenance-free.
6. Best Reclining: Highwood Hamilton Folding and Reclining Adirondack Chair
- 100% MADE IN THE USA - backed by US customer service and support
- WEATHERPROOF - leave outside year-round. Will not crack, peel, or...
- NO SANDING, STAINING, OR PAINTING - yet it looks like real wood
- DURABLE, FADE-RESISTANT MATERIAL - assembled with 304 Grade...
- EASY TO ASSEMBLE (see assembly guide) - assembled chair...
The best Adirondack chair always has a way of exceeding expectations, which this one from Highwood Hamilton does. It comes with a rounded back, offering even more comfort than the original flatbacks. This folding chair reclines into three different positions:
- The first if you'll be leaning forward a lot, say around a campfire.
- The second is the most comfortable, ideal when you're chatting with someone across from you.
- The third is superb for just lying back.
For even more comfort, this Adirondack chair comes in two different sizes; adult for the average person and king for extra-tall people. First, however, you'll need to assemble it yourself, although this is a pretty straightforward process.
7. Best Modern: Polywood Modern Adirondack Chair
- DURABLE CONSTRUCTION. Made from genuine POLYWOOD lumber to...
- ECO-FRIENDLY. POLYWOOD lumber is a proprietary blend of plastics...
- EASY TO ASSEMBLE. Clear instructions and marine-grade quality...
- EASY MAINTENANCE. Requires no painting, waterproofing, or...
- COMFORTABLE. A contoured seat and waterfall front increase...
If you want a modern design on the classic Adirondack chair, then it doesn't get any better than this option from Polywood. This one sports an evidently stylish look and feel that will certainly make a difference in the overall appearance of your outdoor area. It also holds up quite well too, thanks to the mahogany build.
You'll also be pleased to know that this Adirondack chair is built to last. More so, it can go over a couple of seasons without losing its visual appeal. So much so that some reviewers mentioned it was difficult to differentiate their new set from similar old ones.
8. Best Wood: Outdoor Interiors Eucalyptus Wood Adirondack Chair
- Made from dense and durable Eucalyptus Hardwood
- Ultra-comfortable adirondack chair, looks and performs like teak
- Built-in ottoman for comfort
- Easily maintained with hardwood oil (sold separately)
- Seat Dimensions - 20 x 23 x 15 H Inch
This Adirondack Chair from Outdoor Interiors is made of dense and durable eucalyptus hardwood, making it long-lasting and easy to maintain. Eucalyptus hardwood performs much the same as (the more expensive) teak, withstanding harsh weather conditions all year round. It's also heavy enough to hold up well against wind gusts and storms.
This chair is extremely comfortable, with just the ideal angle for settling in cozily. Its wide arms offer enough room for lounging or holding your drink. Plus, it comes with a detachable ottoman for extra support and comfort for your legs.
9. Best Plastic: Lifetime Adirondack Chair
- Classic comfortable design | Constructed of weather-resistant...
- Chair dimensions – 31.1” W x 38.6” D x 36.9” H | Armrest...
- UV-protected will not crack, chip or peel
- The beauty of wood without the maintenance
- Assembly required. Please watch assembly video
A plastic chair can be a great option if you're looking at longevity and weather resistance. This Adirondack chair from Lifetime looks like wood, with less sheen and some faux graining to resemble the real deal.
The weather-resistant simulated wood is arguably more resilient and durable than actual wood and still looks high-quality. It's also stain-resistant and easier to clean. More so, it's UV-protected, hence minimal chipping, peeling or cracking over time. In addition, this plastic chair is available in five neutral shades that mimic natural wood stains.
10. Best for Kids: KidKraft Wooden Adirondack Chair
- Classic, kid-sized design
- Made of weather-resistant wood
- Packaged with detailed, step-by-step assembly instructions
When looking at the best Adirondack chairs, you might want to consider your kids. This kid-sized option is excellent for children to relax on the porch, in the backyard or even in their rooms. In addition, the Kidkraft Wooden Adirondack chair is exceptionally high-quality and durable. Chances are, your kids will grow up with them for years to come.
11. POLYWOOD Classic Folding Adirondack Chair
- Built to withstand a range of climates including hot sun, snowy...
- Polywood lumber is a proprietary plastic containing recycled milk...
- Weatherproof. Will not splinter, crack, chip, peel, or rot when...
- Easy to store. Folds flat for easy transportation and storage.
- Comfortable. Contoured to provide the comfortable seating...
This Polywood chair has over 80% of reviewers giving it a 5-star rating, most attributing it to the material. Polywood lumber is heavy-duty plastic made from recycled materials, which gives this chair an incredibly sturdy construction. Not to mention how impressively comfortable the actual sitting is.
The Polywood Adirondack chair is exceptionally durable, holding up quite well even after a couple of years of use. It also cleans up pretty easily; you'll only need a rag and warm soapy water. Furthermore, this chair hardly ever chips or fades at all.
12. Keter Adirondack Chair Seating
- Adirondack chair
- Accent Chair
This teal Keter plastic Adirondack chair is designed with your comfort and relaxation in mind. With a chair depth of 20.6 inches and a width of 21.8 inches, this chair fits anyone comfortably when relaxing in your outdoor space. In addition, the plastic material is super durable to withstand sunny and cold weather without breaking, fading or chipping.
If you are looking for an accent Adirondack chair to add color to your outdoor furniture, this Keter piece will make an excellent choice. Another exciting feature not common in Adirondack chairs is that it has a cup holder. One five-star reviewer commented on the convenience of this feature. So, if you plan on having your tea, smooth or alcoholic beverage in your outdoor space, you do not need to have a side table.
13. ResinTEAK Folding Adirondack Chair
- ???????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????: We...
- ????????????????????????????????????????????: With an iconic...
- ???????????????????????????????????? ????????????: Perfect for...
- ???????????????????????? ????????????????????????: Create your...
Adirondack chairs are a great addition when revamping your patio garden to create more outdoor space. This ResinTeak plastic Adirondack chair has a weather-resistant build. This means that it can withstand seasonal changes and other weather elements.
The chair features an iconic sloping seat that adds comfort when you sit. The load capacity is also big enough to accommodate an adult. In addition, this classic chair is foldable, so you can store it safely when not in use as outdoor seating. Finally, the apple red color blends well to create extra seating on your porch, balcony, poolside or front porch.
14. Highwood Classic Westport Adirondack Chair
- 100% MADE IN THE USA - backed by US customer service and support
- Leave outside year-round. Will not crack, peel, or rot when...
- NO SANDING, STAINING, OR PAINTING - yet it looks like real wood
- DURABLE MATERIAL - assembled with 304 Grade Stainless Steel...
- EASY TO ASSEMBLE (see assembly guide) - assembled chair...
Unlike the plastic chairs and solid wood chairs reviewed above, this Highwood classic Adirondack chair is assembled with 304-grade stainless steel hardware. This, combined with the recycled plastic material, gives the illusion of real wood. In addition, the construction is strong, durable and weather-resistant so that you can leave it outside all year long.
The Nantucket blue color is appealing and easy to play around with. This Adirondack rocking chair has a deep recline that adds comfort when having your iced tea on a hot summer afternoon. The overall design has not been stained, painted or sanded, yet it looks like a solid acacia wood Adirondack.
15. DAILYLIFE HDPE Adirondack Chair
- Fade-Resistant Color: We formulate our pigment with UV inhibitors...
- Weather Resistant Finish: The chair is made of HDPE and shares...
- Low Maintenance: Unlike wood chairs, our special formulated HDPE...
- Easy to Assemble: Just follow the instruction provided, the...
- Classic Adirondack Chair Design: Comfortably lie down on the...
Our last pick is this Dailylife Adirondack chair. It is made of HDPE(high-density polyethylene) material which is resistant against UV rays to prevent fading. Unlike solid wood Adirondack chairs, this plastic material has resistance against inclement weather to avoid cracking and rotting in dry and wet conditions. Instead, this chair remains sturdy and does not dull.
This Dailylife rocking chair offers comfort and relaxation at the comfort of your outdoors. Since it is not made of solid wood, the chair is low maintenance and does not require staining, painting or waterproofing. This classic Adirondack comes in white, aquamarine, black grayish brown and slate gray to add vibrance to your outdoors.
Factors to Consider in the Best Adirondack Chair
With various designs available on the market, choosing the best Adirondack chairs for outdoor seating can be pretty challenging. However, we share some features you should consider to make this experience a breeze.
1. Form & Function
The best Adirondack chairs are excellent to relax back into and offer great support for your back and bottom. This includes wide arms for balancing drinks and small plates, making for a good spot to hold as you get out of the chair. The deeply-reclined design also makes your laps a snug resting place for small children and pets.
Ideally, you should pair an Adirondack chair with a footstool or ottoman to give you proper leg support. You can also include cushions and headrest pillows to get that extra comfort. Finding the fine balance between form and function ensures that you get an Adirondack chair that's superb for easing and dozing off.
Adirondack chairs are made of a variety of materials. Therefore, you'll need to account for several factors to find the right material for you.
- Durability - how does the material perform over time when left outdoors?
- Appearance - how does the design fit into your outdoor space? How does the material age over time? Is it fade-resistant?
- Comfort - how comfortable is the chair?
- Weight - how easily can the Adirondack chair be moved around?
- Maintenance - how easy is it to look after the material?
- Price - how much value for money are you getting?
Wood is the traditional material used to make an Adirondack rocking chair, among other types of outdoor furniture. Hardwoods like teak, eucalyptus and acacia wood are perfect for withstanding inclement weather. Additionally, these hardwoods resist insects and sun damage.
Teak is arguably one of the best woods for outdoor furniture. It's a durable and resilient hardwood; it produces its own oil and isn't easy to scratch or dent. Teak is also wind-, water- and rust-resistant, meaning it can stay outside all year-round.
Unfortunately, it only comes in one color-teak. Teak is also a bit hard to maintain since it must be rubbed down and regularly treated to avoid a "silver patina." It's also quite pricey compared to other materials.
Pine and oak have also been used to make Adirondack chairs, although each has its downsides. For example, pine is expensive, while oak is durable and strong but suffers from sun damage.
Compared to other materials, solid wood requires regular maintenance to last longer. This includes adding a wood sealer to preserve the authenticity and color of the wood and restaining. Also, although most hardwoods are weather-resistant, it is recommended to go for a folding design or cover up your Adirondack chairs to protect them from inclement weather.
Though not as popular, aluminum Adirondack chairs present a form and function tradeoff. Aluminum is lightweight and durable but somewhat compromises on comfort and appearance. Aluminum Adirondack chairs are tough and resilient, withstanding the outdoors with no significant effects. They're also cheap and easy to maintain. However, the light build leaves them vulnerable to strong winds.
c). High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE) Lumber
HDPE Lumber is a synthetic resin made of recycled milk jugs for building high-quality, solid and durable (outdoor) furniture. HDPE Lumber Adirondack chairs are remarkably sturdy, rust-and weather-resistant, meaning they can stay outside all year-round. They're also pretty comfortable, stylish and luxurious. Plus, HDPE Lumber is fairly easy to maintain, only needing clean, soapy water and a soft-bristle brush. On top of it all, HDPE lumber Adirondack chairs come in a wide variety of colors.
The only downside is perhaps the price. That said, the cost is offset by the comfort, luxury and resilience HDPE offers. More so, it's more friendly to the environment since it's made of infinitely recycled plastic. Besides, the chairs are built to last a lifetime!
d). Injection Molded Plastic Adirondack Chair
Plastic Adirondack chairs are a good option if you're looking for temporary outdoor furniture. They are resistant to water and rust; they can stay outdoors all year round. Plastic chairs are also inexpensive and easy to maintain, needing just dish soap and a moist cloth.
The lightweight construction means they are vulnerable to wind gusts and might be unstable when occupied, sometimes breaking within a year. As much as plastic Adirondack chairs come in plenty of colors, they also tend to lose their appearance quickly. More so, their craftmanship is not mainly the best, so they're not as stylish or luxurious as other options. However, you may find some plastic chairs protecting against UV rays to prevent fading.
This often depends on the material you choose. For example, Adirondack chairs often have a sturdy and durable build. However, some last longer than others. For this reason, it is important to ask yourself how much maintenance you are willing to take up to enhance the durability. For example, chairs made of HDPE or recycled plastic do not need to be refinished since they are all-weather. On the other hand, solid wood chairs will need extra care to last longer.
4. Size & Height
Most Adirondack chairs measure:
- 36-42 inches tall
- 30-34 inches wide
- 35-38 inches deep
- 15-45 pounds in weight
These dimensions are quite sufficient for most people to fit in comfortably. But you will also want at least 3-4 feet of space in front of your chair so that you don't have problems getting into and out of them.
To find the ideal Adirondack chair for you, you have to pay keen attention to its height. Shorter people should preferably go for lower seat heights (and vice versa) to make getting into and out of the chair undemanding. 14 to 16-inch Adirondack chairs tend to be the sweet spot for most people.
The best Adirondack chairs should be lightweight and portable. This is important when changing the outdoor seating layout, whether by moving patio furniture to the deck or front porch. Additionally, portability is also important when assembling the different parts by yourself.
The basic Adirondack chair design is pretty straightforward, but modern twists add plenty of flair to the style. If you're looking for some flourish in your Adirondack chair, you can consider:
- Classic Adirondack Chairs
- - A design that falls back to the original design, later polished into
- the more comfortable, contoured Adirondack chairs of the 1930s.
- Modern Adirondack Chairs - These are modern chairs with straight backs.
- Shellback Adirondack Chairs - Sleek style with an elegantly rounded back and curved armrests.
While looking at the different styles, you can also opt for a folding Adirondack chair for easy storage.
7. Color & Accessories
Depending on the material you opt for, your Adirondack chair can come in any of a variety of colors and finishes. Ultimately, this narrows down to your personal preferences and what you think adds genuine visual distinction to your outdoor space.
You'll also probably want to accessorize your Adirondack chair with complementary additions. Cushions and headrest pillows add padding to your chair for even more comfort. You can also opt for a built-in Ottoman or an extendable footrest for extra leg support. Now you can sink back, relax and rest.
8. Additional Features
These are the features that set one chair apart from the other. They include:
a). Built-In Cup Holders
The best Adirondack chair should have a built-in cup holder. This removes the need to have an extra side table to place your drink. Additionally, it helps to prevent accidentally spilling your iced tea when you place it on the armrest.
b). Folding design
Folding Adirondack chairs offer an added advantage when you want to store your chairs during bad weather or when not in outdoor use. This helps to enhance the durability, making the seats last longer. In addition, the folding design minimizes the space taken up by the chairs in storage.
c). Built-In Footrest
Some of the best Adirondack chairs have built-in footrests. This allows you to comfortably rest your feet and focus on relaxing your mind and body. In addition to a reclining seat and a drink holder, footrests complete the design and offer you maximum relaxation.
Frequently Asked Questions on Adirondack Chairs
1. Are Adirondack chairs good for my back?
There's no definitive answer to this question since there's very little scientific information on this subject. However, the reliable consensus seems to agree Adirondack chairs are quite good for your back, mainly because their unique design takes off the pressure on your lower back and bottom and allows you to lean back in an upright position.
Keep in mind Adirondack chairs stand quite low to the ground. As such, getting in and out of them can be a considerable issue for some people.
2. How should I clean my Adirondack chair?
A couple of buckets of warm soapy water and a soft, nylon bristle brush are good enough to get the job done, especially if you just want to wash off the surface dirt. If you have stiffer things to dislodge, you can choose a trusted furniture garden cleaner. The best part is, you'll only have to do this maybe once a year, or less if your Adirondack chair sits in a nice sunny spot.
Never use a pressure washer: Water jets are strong enough to leave a rough feeling or even abrasions on the timber.
3. Which finish oil should I use?
If you decide to oil your Adirondack chair, a purely decorative choice at that, go for a high-quality garden furniture oil. They are readily available, easier to apply and last quite long. First, start with a small area to see how your desired finish looks on the chair. Then, ensure you follow the manufacturer's instructions.
4. How should I store Adirondack chairs?
Most Adirondack chairs are designed to withstand all weather conditions. For this reason, you can leave them outside all year long. Unfortunately, some chairs will suffer damage during bad weather. You may need to store them indoors or use a chair cover to prevent this. Overall, check the instructions on the specific chairs you want to buy to see storage recommendations.
If you love to spend some quality time outdoors with your loved ones, having the best Adirondack chairs for comfort and relaxation is essential. These seats are perfect for catching the morning sun with a book in one hand or bonding around the fire pit with reclined seats, wide armrests, and other extra features. We hope that our guide will come in handy to help you pick the best Adirondack chairs for your outdoor space.