Best Freezer Bags for Keeping Food Fresh and Safe
Food storage and preservation can be a mystery or art, depending on the equipment you use to hold food in your refrigerator or freezer. Saving you the hassle of numerous ineffective foils, wraps and papers, we present to you the idea of storage bags. In particular, we recommend using the best freezer bags to prevent freezer burn and offer the most convenient yet effective way of storing virtually any food in your freezer.
If you are wondering where to start with the freezer bags, we have compiled an informative buying guide for a wise purchase. Accordingly, we will start with understanding the concept of a freezer bag for an objective read.
What is a Freezer Bag?
A freezer bag is a plastic food holder used to store food in a freezer or a refrigerator. Ideally, the plastic material used in such bags is flexible but tough to prevent leakages and tears for maximum food protection. Also, your food is less likely to develop freezer burn with freezer bags. Additionally, these storage bags come with a sealing system to create an airtight environment for food preservation.
Therefore, you can store meat, vegetable, fruits and other food produce or cooked food in freezer bags. Eventually, a freezer bag is a brilliant way to save money through bulk shopping and avoiding food wastage. Based on this understanding, let's look at the eight best products in this category.
What are the ideal freezer bags?
1. Amazon Solimo Freezer Bags
- Includes 90 freezer gallon bags
- Each food storage bag holds 1 gallon
- Reclosable top has a double zipper closure
- BPA free
- If you like Ziploc Freezer Bags, Gallon, we invite you to try...
Our first choice among the best freezer bags is the Amazon Solimo Freezer Bags. These freezer packages are BPA-free, making them hygienic and safe for food. Also, these bags come in different sizes, including gallon and quart-size bags for storing different capacities and food types.
Additionally, Solimo bags have a double zip closure mechanism to prevent freezer burn for frozen food and maintain non-frozen foods fresh. Fortunately, you can find these Amazon bags in bulk for long-term storage convenience and accommodating bundle buying.
2. Hefty Slider Freezer Storage Bags
- GALLON SIZE FREEZER BAGS: This pack includes 56 gallon size Hefty...
- PROTECTS AGAINST FREEZER BURN: The thicker plastic on these...
- CLICKS CLOSED SO YOU KNOW IT’S CLOSED: Patented MaxLock track...
- SUPER EASY TO USE: Our unique design makes it easy to open and...
Next in line are the Hefty Slider Freezer Bags, meant for large quantities of food such as meat chunks. The Hefty bags have thick plastic and a slide zipper closure system for airtight protection against freezer burn. In addition, you should listen for a click to confirm that the bag is thoroughly sealed.
Besides keeping your food fresh, these large bags are effortless to use with a simple sliding motion of closing or opening. When it comes to their storage flexibility, these bags have an expandable bottom for ensuring they remain upright for easier packaging and storage. You can find the Hefty Bags in packs of 56 for enabling bulk shopping and long-term utility.
3. Stasher Platinum Silicone Food Grade Reusable Freezer Bag
- PLATINUM SILICONE: The world's first fully functional,...
- ELIMINATE SINGLE-USE PLASTIC WASTE: Each Stasher eliminates...
- PINCH-LOC TM: Features the innovative air-tight Pinch-Loc TM to...
- DISHWASHER AND MICROWAVE SAFE: Platinum food-grade silicone is...
- START YOUR STASH: Half-gallon 10.25”x 8.25”x 1.5” (64oz);...
If you desire to invest in reusable freezer bags, you can invest in the Stasher Platinum Silicone Freezer Bags. Ideally, each stasher bag features a sturdy platinum silicone material for durability and sturdiness for reuses. As an eco-friendly alternative, Stasher aims to reduce the use of disposable bags, which damage the environment.
Moreover, the Stasher bags seal easily with an airtight pinch-lock seal for storing liquid foods without leakages. Also, due to the sturdy platinum silicone material, these reusable freezer bags can withstand both high and low extreme temperatures, meaning they're safe to use in a dishwasher, microwave or a pot of boiling water. You can find these containers in five sizes ranging from four ounces to half a gallon and a variety of 14 colors.
4. Ziploc Freezer Bags with New Grip 'n Seal Technology
- Get unbeatable freezer protection with new Grip ‘n Seal...
- Our triple system seal features an extended tab, new, easy grip...
- Grip ‘n Seal technology provides unbeatable freezer protection...
- Pack includes 120 Ziploc brand Freezer Bags made of durable and...
- Smart Zip Plus Seal for air-tight freshness and extended tabs for...
We also recommend the Ziploc freezer bags, which are completely food safe. These bags are also meant for large food quantities, including different types of meat. Notably, we love this type of storage bag because of its triple seal system that ensures optimal airtight freshness and protection. In addition, its seal system has an easy-grip texture for effortless handling. You can find these reliable bags in quart and gallons capacities for versatile storage of meat, vegetables, fruits, and produce.
5. Qinline Freezer Bags-Reusable
- ♻REUSABLE & FOOD GRADE MATERIAL: Made of food-grade PEVA...
- ♻LEAK-PROOF & ESAY SEAL: The reusable lunch bags feature an...
- ♻ FREEZER SAFE & EASY TO CLEAN: The reusable freezer bags can...
- ♻MULTI-PURPOSE: The 1 reusable gallon bags (11 inches x 10 9/16...
- ♻100% CUSTOMER SATISFACTION GUARANTEED: One Qinline reusable...
You can also obtain the best value for your money from the Qinline Reusable Freezer Bags. These bags are made with PEVA material which is safe for food. In addition, these freezer bags come with an upgraded double and anti-slip sealing system for maintaining optimal food hygiene and preventing any air or liquid leaks.
Even more, the Qinline bags are excellent at preserving the full taste of edibles and keeping meat, vegetables and fruits fresh. However, when it comes to cleaning, these bags aren't dishwasher safe to avoid damaging their closure system. Another benefit of these bags is that they're multipurpose across tasks like marinating meat, packing lunch using the sandwich bags, and ultimately freezing foodstuffs.
6. SPLF Reusable Freezer Bags
- 【FOOD GRADE MATERIAL】 Choose SPLF brand for TRULY food-grade...
- 【LEAKPROOF & EASY SEAL】 Upgraded double closures ensure an...
- 【FREEZER SAFE & EASY TO CLEAN】 The freezer bags can lock out...
- 【REUSABLE & DURABLE】1 gallon storage bags are reusable and...
- 【MULTI-PURPOSE & 100% SATISFACTION】 Perfect containers for...
Other reusable alternatives are the SPLF Freezer Bags which are also made with PEVA material. Ideally, the PEVA material is safe and non-toxic to foodstuffs. Moreover, the SPLF bags have an airtight seal for keeping your edibles safe and hygienic. Regarding its zipper system, it is easy to use and is non-slip for less likelihood of accidents.
In addition, these bags are easy to clean through hand washing using cold water. The SPLF bags come in capacities of 0ne gallon but have the versatility to store different foods and quantities. Overall, these bags are available at a great price since they come in packs.
7. FORID Reusable Freezer Bags
- ♻【FOOD GRADE MATERIAL】- FORID 1 gallon storage bags feature...
- ♻【ECO-FRIENDLY & STURDY】- No harmful material, do no harm...
- ♻【LEAK-PROOF & SEALING】- The reusable food storage bags...
- ♻【EASY TO CLEAN & DRY】- Hand wash gallon freezer bags in...
- ♻【100% CUSTOMER SATISFACTION】- We absolutely guarantee that...
You can also invest in the reusable storage alternative of FORID freezer bags. The FORID bags are made with PEVA, a fully food-grade material without any harmful chemicals. In addition, these bags are eco-friendly and durable due to their thick material, which renders them reusable. Besides reducing the environmental risk of disposable bags, the FORID sealing system is a double-lock design to keep it airtight for optimal food freshness and protection.
Also, these gallon freezer bags can be used in freezing meat and preserving a variety of foodstuffs without any alterations to taste. Eventually, only hand wash these bags using cold water and air dry them to avoid damaging the zipper closure using a dishwasher.
8. Glad Trash & Food Storage Zipper Freezer Bags
- ZIPPER GALLON FREEZER BAGS: Glad zipper freezer bags are BPA...
- DOUBLE SEAL LOCK ZIPPER: With a quick glide of the Yellow and...
- DURABLE FREEZER BAG: Glad Zipper Freezer Bags prevent freezer...
- GALLON ZIPPER FREEZER BAG: Gallon Freezer Bags are ideal for...
- EXTRA WIDE SEAL: Glad Food Storage Zipper Bags for the freezer...
Finally, we've got you covered with the Glad Trash & Food Freezer Bags. These freezer bags are made with extra-thick plastic preventing any leaks and damage. So, you can rest assured that these alternatives won't expose your meat to cold burns and microorganisms.
Fortunately, these food-grade packages come in one-gallon capacities for storing large quantities, including large chunks of meat. Once again, these bags are leakproof and airtight due to their double zipper system, which is a press to close zipper seal. Eventually, you find these bags in boxes of 160 pieces for long-term utility.
Freezer Bags Vs. Regular Zip-Top Bags
These storage packages are similar with the common features of durable plastic material and sealing mechanisms. However, despite even coming in similar sizes, these bags can be distinguished in thickness. Accordingly, freezer bags have thicker plastic than ordinary zip-top bags. As a result, freezer bags are more durable and tougher for reliable and longer food storage in a freezer.
In addition, the reinforced thickness of freezer bags ensures that they don't puncture easily or break down with longer exposures to freezer conditions. So, freezer bags are ideal for maintaining food freshness over longer periods since they effectively prevent freezer burn. Furthermore, freezer bags are versatile in storing different foods, and they come in different sizes for storage maximization.
Regular zip-top bags also can be used in a freezer but are prone to rips, making them not prevent freeze burn effectively. So, in the end, you should expect to pay more for freezer bags than their regular zip-top counterparts.
Factors to Consider Before Buying the Best Freezer Bags
All types of freezer bags are made of plastic material. Even so, the type of plastic material varies across the different freezer storage bags. Three different materials are used to make these storage packages, including platinum silicone, polyethylene, and Polyethylene vinyl acetate (PEVA). Here is a brief description of each of these materials:
- Platinum Silicone: This rubber-like plastic material is extra sturdy with popularity among reusable freezer bags. Platinum silicone is preferred because it can tolerate high oven or microwave temperatures for easy food handling post freezing. Additionally, platinum silicone is odor-resistant, dishwasher safe, stain-resistant and environmentally friendly. Overall, platinum silicone is purer than the standard silicone material, making it safe for holding food.
- Polyethylene: This material is another common plastic version used to make disposable freezer bags. Polyethylene bags are preferred since they're non-toxic, resistant to freeze burns, waterproof and sturdy to prevent leaks. Also, the polyethylene material is easily recyclable, adding to its eco-friendliness. However, polyethylene is stain-prone, retains food odors, and doesn't hold up repeated reuses.
- Polyethylene vinyl acetate (PEVA): You can also find freezer bags made with PEVA material common in shower curtains. PEVA is food-safe, odor-resistant, stain-resistant and sturdy. Nevertheless, PEVA is stiffer than the materials above and is more difficult to clean, requiring only hand-washing in soapy water.
Depending on whichever freezer bag material you choose, food safety should be prioritized. So, the best freezer bags should be BPA-free, meaning free from PVC and Phthalates. Fortunately, food safety is an industry requirement, making most if not all freezer bags in the market safe for food storage.
The most ideal freezer bags come in thick materials and higher price tags than sandwich bags. As such, these qualities come with reusable freezer storage bags. So, reusable containers are better since they help reduce disposed plastics, leading to better environmental conservation. In most cases, the best freezer packages can be made of either platinum silicone or PEVA, which are tolerant to repeated uses.
3. Size and Capacity
Freezer storage packages come in different sizes ranging from gallon nags to sandwich bags. Therefore, you should always think of food amounts you intend to store in your fridge. In most cases, amounts of stored foodstuffs vary, thus requiring a wider variety of bag sizes. Some of the common sizes in this category included two gallons, half-gallon, quart, pint, half-quart and four-ounce snack bags.
Mainly, these size diversifications vary depending on whether a bag is disposable or reusable. On the one hand, disposable freezer bags are large featuring two-gallon, gallon, and quart sizes for holding large food quantities and storing meat. On the other hand, reusable bags are more diverse, including large gallon bags and small-ounce containers. Besides the size, it would help to buy a freezer bag with an expandable bottom for remaining upright while storing liquids such as soups.
4. Closing Mechanism
Another factor to consider is the mechanism of closing a freezer bag. Some of the common closure techniques include double zipper press, slide zipper lock system, pinch-lock seal and press-shut method. In most freezer bags, zip closures are the most ideal since they are easier and quicker to apply as well as strong to withstand repeated applications.
You shouldn't compromise on the closing mechanism at all times since a freezer bag should be airtight to prevent freezer burns. In addition, most PEVA and silicone reusable freezer containers come with pinch-lock and leak-resistant seals. Overall, we recommend investing in a multi-closure system for the certainty of airtightness.
Having put foodstuff in a storage bag, there is a higher likelihood of missing out on the storage design of your refrigerator. This aspect relates to the maximization of the available storage space. Since we advocate for freezer bags in place of rigid containers, it is best to invest in containers with expandable bottoms for easier upright positioning. As a result, this ensures that your fridge space is used up efficiently.
One of the advantages of buying freezer bags is that they often come in packs that reduce the hassle of going back to the shop every time you need to cold-store more foodstuff. Moreover, these packs of freezers also come in assorted sizes for ensuring a more versatile preservation package. Accordingly, different brands sell different multipacks, such as buying four boxes of 40 freezer bags at a discounted price. Eventually, sets only make sense depending on how often you store food, meaning the less food you store, the fewer containers you will require.
7. Appliance Compatibility
Aside from being compatible with the refrigerator or your deep freezer, a freezer bag should also be compatible with appliances like the oven or microwave. Considerably, a freezer bag used during thawing makes food preparation easier. For instance, a microwave-safe bag saves you time by warming your edibles straight from a freezer without having to transfer them to other containers.
Furthermore, it would be convenient to get dishwasher-safe bags for easy cleaning. Mostly, platinum silicone containers fit the bill for heat resistance for dishwasher and microwave compatibility. Nevertheless, you should always be keen to read a product's information to see which appliances it is compatible with.
Frequently Asked Questions on the Best Freezer Bags
1. What is the best freezer bag material?
According to our current guide, we recommend the platinum silicone material as the best in freezer bags. You can widely use this material to hold meat, fruits, vegetable and produce for optimal preservation. Nonetheless, it is always best to ensure that your select freezer containers are made with BPA- free material for utmost food safety and hygiene.
Meta Description: Buying freezer bags may sound easy but also requires a knowledgeable approach to get the best freezer bags for optimal storage outcomes.
Image source: nytimes.com