Your bathroom is the one space that needs a trash can. From the makeup wipes, cotton balls to the dental floss, you need a bin that can take up all this waste, allowing you to remain tidy. Plus, you don't want to have to keep carrying it to your kitchen to throw it.
So with all the choices in the market, how do you find the right one? The bathroom trash cans should first and foremost be between 1 to 4 gallons. The average size tends to be two gallons; however, this depends on your bathroom. Small trash cans are usually small than this. In addition, you'll have to think about if you want one with a lid, the material it's made of as this determines its durability, and lastly, whether it allows you to fit in liners.
There are more features to consider; that's why we reviewed the best bathroom trash cans in the market and outlined a comprehensive buying guide.
What Is A Bathroom Trashcan?
In contrast to a kitchen trash can, a bathroom trash can tends to be on the smaller side. The bin has an average size ranging from 2 to 4 gal. The cans are smaller because they mostly contain paper waste and fill slower than a kitchen trash can. The cans also tend to be smaller to suit the bathroom's limited space.
We reviewed the best bathroom trash cans that would be a perfect addition to your bathroom space.
What is the best bathroom trash cans?
Best Bathroom Trash Cans
1. simplehuman Bathroom Trash Can
- STRONG STEEL PEDAL - simplehuman's strong steel pedal is...
- SILENT CLOSE LID - simplehuman's patented lid shox technology...
- PERFECT FOR BATHROOMS - Fits well in bathrooms or wherever space...
- REMOVABLE INNER BUCKET - Inner bucket lifts out for easy trash...
- REPLACEMENT BUCKET AVAILABLE - If your bucket gets messy over...
Searching for a small trash can for your bathroom? The simplehuman bathroom trash boasts a sleek and modern design and is perfect for anywhere space is limited.
The small trash can is made of stainless steel and features a sturdy steel pedal that's been engineered to last over 150,000 steps. In addition, the finish is fingerprint-resistant, meaning you're assured of no smudges leaving the brushed stainless steel shiny.
The small trash can comes with a removable inner bucket for easy trash disposal. There are also custom-fit liners/trash bags that have been designed to fit perfectly so they don't slip and stay completely hidden. In addition, the liners can catch leaks and let you take the trash out easily.
Lastly, the stainless steel trash can features a non-skid base with rubber pads that are gentle on floors and keep the can steady.
2. mDesign Plastic Small Trash Can
- COMPACT DESIGN: These rectangular cans with built-in handles are...
- FUNCTIONAL & VERSATILE: The size and style make this can work in...
- PORTABLE: The built-in handles make this can easy to transport;...
- QUALITY CONSTRUCTION: Made of durable shatter-resistant plastic...
- THOUGHTFULLY SIZED: Each Measures 10.75" x 5" x 10" high, 1.5...
The mDesign ranks highly as the best plastic bathroom trash can, and it's not hard to see why. To start, the brand offers a multitude of colors to choose from, letting you find a style that matches your aesthetic.
The litter wastebasket is made of durable shatter-resistant plastic and features integrated handles. The rectangular design is functional and perfect for various places n your home. The built-in handles make the trash can is easy to carry around from room to room or when emptying.
Though it's a bin, it can also work well as storage for small items and kids' toys. Lastly, when cleaning, all that's needed is a damp cloth.
3. Umbra Mini Waste Can
- Compact waste can by umbra with 1-1/2-gallon capacity, designed...
- Made from biodegradable polypropylene
- Swing top allows for easy disposal
- Removable lid for easy emptying and cleaning
- Measures 7-1/2 inches in diameter by 12-1/2 inches tall
Something to note when searching for the best bathroom trash can is your budget. Finding a trash can that meets your needs without breaking the bank is possible.
The Umbra mini waste can features a swing-top lid and is made from biodegradable polypropylene. It's the perfect choice if looking for a small trash can at an affordable cost.
The small trash can is offered in various colors, with the black finish giving off a modern and sleek aesthetic vibe that is sure to fit in with different decor styles seamlessly.
The swinging lid allows for easy disposal and makes it simple to empty and clean.
4. Umbra Woodrow Wooden Trash Can
- CLEAN, MODERN DESIGN: Made of treated wood, Woodrow has a natural...
- UNIQUE YET VERSATILE DESIGN: Use this waste basket to add a...
- FUNCTIONAL & DURABLE: Woodrow's open-top design features durable,...
- 2 GALLON CAPACITY: Measuring 11 inches tall with a 9-inch...
- TOTAL SATISFACTION OR YOUR MONEY BACK: If you’re not completely...
The espresso texture-looking trash can is sure to stand out and look great in any bathroom. However, this is the best bathroom trash can if looking for something more natural.
Its 2-gallon size can fit into smaller spaces while still holding a fair amount of trash. The wastebasket is versatile and can add a modern aesthetic to your powder room, bathroom, office, living room, study, or anywhere else you need a trash can.
The wastebasket features an open-top design and has built-in handles for easy transport and disposal of its contents.
Lastly, if espresso is not to your taste, you have the choice of 7 other finishes.
5. iTouchless SoftStep Bathroom Step Trash Can
- UNCONDITIONAL PROMISE – Your 100% satisfaction is assured and...
- EFFORTLESS and HYGIENIC - 100% Touchless Trash Can with...
- COMPLETE ODOR CONTROL – 1 Odor Filter and 1 Lemon-Scented...
- BEAUTIFUL and DURABLE – Elegant stainless steel can body and...
- ENERGY EFFICIENT – Powered by 4 AA batteries (not included) or...
A motion sensor bathroom trash affords you the convenience of only having to touch your trash when taking it out.
This bathroom trash can features a motion sensor-operated lid. In addition, it's designed for odor control with one odor filter and a lemon-scented cartridge.
The bathroom trash can is made from stainless steel and has a high-quality ABS plastic lid. In addition, the brushed stainless steel body is fingerprint resistant and easy to clean.
Lastly, the stainless steel trash can is powered by 4 AA batteries. These are not included in the purchase. There's also the option of an Official iTouchless AC Adapter.
The bathroom trash can is covered by a year's warranty.
Features To Consider When Buying Best Bathroom Trash Can
When searching for the best bathroom trash cans, you'll notice that they are small than those in your kitchen. The average bathroom trash can hold about 2.5 gallons, but smaller and larger versions are available.
A larger bathroom trash can is ideal if more than one or two people use a bathroom. However, if you regularly take the trash out, a smaller trash can do.
In addition, when searching for the best trash cans, it's crucial to think about where you'll place them. If looking to place your bin somewhere discreet, e.g., between the toilet and the sink, it's essential to measure the space before placing it. Lastly, ensure to leave a couple of inches of clearance room so that the bin is not squeezed up against the wall and potentially scratching it.
If you opt for the right bathroom trash can with a lid, consider various opening mechanisms.
- Simple Hinge Lid: The trash can lid requires you to lift it by hand but can get messy quickly
- No-touch/ Motion Activated: These bins use a sensor; hence you don't have to touch any part to open it. Usually powered by batteries or plugged into an outlet.
- Foot pedal: Step on the pedal with your foot, so your hands don't come in direct contact with the trash can.
- Swing top: They are easy to use but not the most hygienic. The trash can has a swing opening that you push to deposit trash.
- Press: The bins are very easy to open. You only need to press the lid to pop it open. However, bacteria and germs can build up on the lid if your hands aren't clean.
- No lid: Most bathroom trash cans don't feature lids
c) Design and Shape
Wastebaskets come in a wide range of shapes and designs. Some cans are round, while others are rectangular or semi-round. The trash can with lids is best suited if you have pets. At the same time, rectangular wastebaskets are ideal because they do not take up much space.
d) Trash Can Construction
The material your bathroom trash can is made of is vital as it determines durability. Most trash cans are usually made from plastic or metals like aluminum or stainless steel.
Plastic bins tend to be less expensive, but they're more likely to fall over and look cheap. In addition, plastic tends to be light, making it easy to carry around.
Metal trash cans elevate your space by giving it a modern and clean look. However, they can quickly become dented or look streaky if not regularly cleaned. So when searching for the best bathroom trash cans, it's a bonus point if the metal material is smudge-proof.
Some bins are made of natural materials like seagrass. These cans feature a soft, natural aesthetic but may not be ideal for soggy or stinky trash. Other sustainable produced options include wicker and straw.
NB: It's best to avoid perforated designs that might allow small pieces of debris to seep out from the bottom.
Liners are helpful when throwing wet or soggy bathroom waste so it's essential to consider this when shopping for bathroom trash cans.
Some trash can feature a liner rim that can hold a garbage bag in place so that it's not visible from the outside. Replacing liners is easy as long as you know the size trash can you have, though a few high-end brands have specific liners designed to match the shape of the can. Liners, however, tend to be more popular with kitchen trash cans.
f) Removable Bucket
Some of the best bathroom trash cans have a removable bucket for easy trash disposal. It's great for taking out the trash as you can carry this to dump the bathroom waste into the main trash can.
The removable bucket makes it easier to clean since you can dip it in a sink or basin. Some cans are dishwasher safe if you have the space. All you'll do is clean the outside of the trash can with a wet soapy cloth.
Lastly, the bucket is an eco-friendly option compared to causing to using trash bags.
It's worth remembering that bathrooms can be humid places. Hence when searching for a bathroom trash can, it's best to choose one that's water-friendly or water-proof. This is because it's likely to get wet regardless of where you keep it. In addition, its ability to withstand water will guarantee its lifespan and wear and tear.
h) Odor Control
Some bathroom trash cans feature odor control. This is visually a charcoal-activated filter designed to combat odors. Essentially, no one wants their bathroom to have a funky smell. That's why it's best to choose this trash can, especially if you don't have a window to air out the bathroom between uses.
Lastly, trash cash keeps odors from spreading to the rest of the bathroom and also help keep nosy pets (or toddlers) out.
Durability is vital when deciding on the best trash cans. Though all materials are great stainless steel, metal mesh is the most durable. In addition, the trash cans are easy to clean and won't split or crack if knocked into.
Wicker and wooden trash cans are aesthetically appealing, but not all are waterproof, so they tend to wear down faster in the bathroom.
Plastic trash cans are quite durable and easy to clean. They're a favorite amongst many families because of their low price point.