The best solar chargers give us various promises – freedom from wall outlets and power bills. Yes, that`s right; these chargers will juice up your batteries by converting the sun's rays into electricity. For all the mobility of the modern age, we spend most of our time using stationary outlets for power. If you want to be set free, especially if you are an outdoor enthusiast, we have identified some key charger types for you to consider.
The best solar charger for backpacking. These chargers are highly convenient in many ways.
Most, if not all of them are simple to use and suitable for powering your essential devices. These include smartphones, lamps, power banks, and more. That said, you should also note that these chargers have many different features, which you need to consider for the best results.
1. BigBlue 5V 28W Solar Charger with Digital Ammeter S8/S7/S6/Edge, LG, Nexus, etc.
- 【Built-in Digital Ammeter】BigBlue 28w solar panel charger can...
- 【Higher Solar Conversion Efficiency】SunPower Solar Panels is...
- 【Exclusive Smart IC Technology】With the built-in intelligent...
- 【Special PET Polymer Surface】Industrial-strength PET polymer...
- 【Easy to Use & Friendly Customer Support】Please unfold four...
Equipped with an inbuilt ammeter, the Bigblue 5V Solar charger is an excellent addition to your solar power regimen. This unit comes with an inbuilt ammeter, which will measure the number of Amps required to charge devices. For instance, if your device has an input current of 1A, the amount will be between 0.8A and 1A. Designed to be both dynamic and reliable, this charge is suitable for many different devices. You can use it to power an S8, Edge, LG, or even nexus phone.
The Bigblue charger provides high quality power, which is perfect for your delicate devices. Furthermore, the BigBlue solar charger brands have also done well to ensure this unit is compact. It weighs 21 oz and has dual power ports, which are suitable for all your android devices. You will also appreciate the exclusive smart IC technology, with the inbuilt chip. The chip can detect your device, to provide the fastest possible charge speed, and ensure stable charging results.
Furthermore, the SunPower Solar Panels have high conversion efficiency levels of as much as 21%. As such, the chargers are ideal for use outdoors during climbing, camping, and more. The charger is also made using unique PET polymer surface material. The material works well to protect your solar panel and your devices from rain or wet fog. It has an exceptional IPX2 waterproof level, and the USB ports are not water-resistant.
2. BioLite SolarPanel 5+ with Integrated Power Bank, 5 watts, 2200mAh
- Real time power - 5 Watt, high efficiency monocrystaline Solar...
- On-board battery (5+) built-in 2200mAh battery for one full phone...
- 360 Kickstand angle easily from trees, tents, and tables
- Sundial align with the sun for maximum power output
- Ultra slim design minimalist profile slips easily into your pack
With the BioLite SolarPanel 5+ with an integrated power bank, you will enjoy high-quality power for your needs each time. This unit features a high-efficiency monocrystalline structure, with a 5-watt output to power phones, tablets, and more. Even more, the inclusion of an integrated sundial aligns the panel, to ensure it can capture direct rays, for optimal charging results. The 360-degree kickstand will provide a convenient position on various types of terrains.
You will even find it easy to hang this unit even to hang on trees, walls, and more. You will also benefit when you have a charger that has a powerful battery. Thus, this unit comes with a 2200mAh battery, so that you have adequate power even when the sun goes down. Furthermore, the inclusion of a micro USB charge input, lets you get a head start on your power since you can fill up the battery at home.
All the juicy features do not stop there with this robust and reliable unit. It even has an ultra-slim, and weather-resistant design. To be specific, the minimalist materials ensure its super thin and promotes the efficiency of this tool through heat dissipation.
Keeping track of power usage is a crucial factor to consider. Thus, this is why this unit comes with a battery and charge strength indicator. It even has a battery status button, such that you can see the strength of the sun and measure the capacity of your panel.
3. Portable Solar Charger, BEARTWO 10000mAh Ultra-Compact External Batteries
- 【Compact & Portable Design】- One of the smallest and lightest...
- 【Dual-USB Output】- Charge 2 devices simultaneously with max...
- 【IP67 Waterproof】- Every USB port or micro USB port is...
- 【Built in mini LED Flashlight】- with three modes...
- 【Safety for Use】- Made of eco-friendly silicone rubber and...
Compact, waterproof, and reliable. These are just some of the few benefits you can expect when you have the BEARTWO 10,000mAh. It's one of the smallest and lightest solar chargers on the market today. It even comes with an extra hanger included, which makes it easy to hang on your backpack, or for camping purposes. Even more, this unit can charge as many as two devices at the same time, and with a max output of 5V/2.1.
It only takes an average of 4-5 hours to charge the battery fully, and you can use it to save charging time than most other similar power banks. To make things better, this unit has an excellent IP67 waterproof rating for longevity purposes. Every USB port or micro USB is covered by a rubber cap. This helps protect the charger from water, and the reinforced structure makes this unit highly sturdy.
The battery charger is also available with an inbuilt mini LED flashlight. The light has three modes available for convenience. These include normal, SOS, and strobe. These are all easy to control just by using one button. The inclusion of the 10,000mAh high capacity battery will provide more than enough power for your devices.
4. POWERADD Apollo 2 Solar Charger 12000mAh Portable Solar Power
- 43800mAh super large capacity. Four high-conversion solar panels...
- Built-in USB-A input cable, Type-C and light inig output cable,...
- Power bank supports QC3.0 and 2.0 protocols fast...
- A bright flashlight with a brightness of 680 lumens and a range...
- Upgraded built-in smart chip Charging speed increased by 2 times,...
Make it easy to charge your favorite devices when you have the POWERADD Apollo Solar Charger. This unit boasts of all the unique features you need to charge all your solar equipment conveniently. For instance, the charger will deliver fast charging speeds of up to 2.4A per port. More so, the maximum output of each port is 3.4 amps, and the charging efficiency will provide rates of up to 5V/3300mAh.
Equipped with a robust battery, you are sure of more than sufficient power for your devices. In particular, the charger comes with a 12,000mAh battery, which is enough to charge most types of handheld devices. The charger also features an IPX7 waterproof structure, which makes it easy to use even during the rainy days.
Moreover, the exterior structure is also shockproof and dustproof for your convenience. Plus, the included hook makes it easy to hang on your backpack for ease of portability. Also, the charger comes with adjustable LEDs, which make it highly convenient to use. The inbuilt dual LED lights have three light modes. You just have to short press the button to switch to your chosen model. Best of all, the SOS function also works well in situations where you need help.
This unit is also available with many accessories. These include a micro USB cable, climbing buckle, and more.
5. Solar Power Bank, Qi Portable Charger 10,000mAh External Battery
- Brand-Oriented & Outdoor Charger Pro: With over ten years...
- Leading USB C Input&Output Tech and Qi Wireless: 5V 2.4A output,...
- Premium Battery & Smallest Solar Charger: BLAVOR uses the safer...
- Safe Material and Comfortable Design: The outer case is made from...
- Multi-Purpose Outdoor Power Bank: BLAVOR portable solar charger...
Solar power is the future. Make it easy to charge your solar panels when you have the Solar Power Bank Qi portable charger. The charger comes with a 10,000mAh power bank, which is perfect for outdoor enthusiasts. Even more, the solar power bank is compatible with various types of devices for convenience.
You will find it easy to charge this unit through the various power outlets it has available. For instance, you can charge it using the micro USB or a type C input port for your convenience. Yes, it's highly recommended for you to take the solar charge feature as an emergency solution for your needs. The Qi portable charger brand has also done well to ensure the charger is durable, and has unique ergonomics.
Such a unique design makes the charger comfortable in the hands, and suitable for many different power supply applications. As one of the best chargers on the consumer market, this unit is powerful, and will provide quality power for your delicate devices. Made using sturdy material, this unit is compact and durable at the same time. It features a premium ABS fireproof material and premium lithium battery for longevity. Also, the charger is IPX4 splash-proof rated, as well as being shockproof and dustproof.
Factors to Consider When Buying the Best Solar
Charger for Backpacking
You can use many different sources of power to charge a power storage unit, or your electronic tools directly. The most common sources, from slowest to fastest include:
- Hydrogen fuel cell
- Kinetic motion
- Solar panel
- 12V DC
- AC power
To recharge a portable power pack when you are not close to wall outlets, a car, or a USB output, consider one that you can recharge through solar.
It’s the most common type of off-grid power source today. You should consider using a solar panel when you want supplement power, and if your electronics surpass the available power.
Solar energy is the ideal choice for extended trips or days outdoors, such as when camping.
Tips on Choosing Solar Chargers
There are many common solar panel options on the market today. They include:
- Panels only, which are either semi-flexible or rigid
- Panels that have integrated storage batteries
- Panels that have separate storage batteries
The main variables to consider:
- Surface area – the size of the solar panel is directly proportional to the amount of light it can collect. While a small panel is easy to install, it might take a longer time to charge correctly. A large surface area is ideal for conditions that have a large amount of cloud cover, or the low light intensity that occurs during winter. More so, it can also be suitable for use when logistical constraints compromise the amount of time the panel gets sun exposure. Usually, the charge time varies between 5 to 16 hours of sunlight for the same battery.
- Output capacity – checking the output capacity of your chosen charger is crucial. It determines the type and range of devices you can power conveniently. You should remember that all solar panels have ratings in watts. The higher the rating, the more electricity this unit can produce in a specific time duration.
- Semi flexible or rigid solar panels – the semi-flexible solar panels are easy to fold and roll up for convenient transport. More so, they are also easy to open to provide sufficient surface area than most rigid panels. Even, you have to consider the attachment options that are available with a solar panel. These will make it easy to install on your bike, kayak, or even backpack.
Hydrogen Fuel Cells
The most notable invention in portable power devices is to produce power through a chemical hydrogen reaction. This may require the use of a particular hydrogen cartridge. The voltage it produces might be below, but it's always available, unlike the sun.
Power Storage (Battery Pack)
A solar energy producer is best for use when you want to charge up a storage battery, instead of an electronic device. Why?
These power sources may not have any circuitry to control the flow of electricity into your device. Such an issue might lead to damage. Thus, ensure that you check the manufacturer's recommendations. Some solar panels come with a regulated USB output, which you can use for direct charging of small devices. Its good to go for solar panels that have waterproof flaps, to help improve their longevity and functionality. The categories you are likely to come across include:
- An integrated storage battery – this type provides all in one convenience of a power generator, and it makes power with a battery for storage.
- An independent storage battery – this type provides the flexibility you need to leave the generator at your home or base camp. You may only take the battery in this case.
NB: If you want to buy a solar panel with a storage battery, pay attention to the specific battery specifications. This should be the most crucial aspect of your power supply package.
Critical Specs for Portable Battery Packs
Storage capacity – this indicates the amount of charge the pack can store for future use when charging your electronics. It’s a good indicator that you have a good quality charger in your hands.
You can easily get an idea of the recharges you have available. You may have to compare the storage capacity of the battery to that of the battery in your appliance. Usually, this formula is rated in milliamp-hours (mAh) or Amp-hours (Ah). For instance, 2200 mAh = 2.2 Ah. Watt-hours (wh) is also another aspect of measuring battery capacity. To convert watt-hours to mAh: (Wh/Volts) x 1000 = mAh.
Useful tip – transferring energy from one battery to the other is not often an efficient procedure. For this reason, don’t expect a 2000mAh pack to charge a 1,000mAh battery twice.
To recharge or top off your appliance, you may require a battery pack with adequate storage capacity. More so, you also need a battery pack with sufficient output voltage, to get the energy to your device.
How much is adequate? Find out the storage capacity of the battery in your appliance. For electronics that inbuilt batteries, consider the technical specs to determine battery capacity. Plus, if your device uses replaceable AA batteries, and this is not an issue. Remember to go for a battery pack that has either of these features
The output of the charger should be equal to the input battery voltage necessities of your chosen device. If it is any lower, this might cause a drain on the power in your device, rather than charging it up.
Most portable battery packs are suitable for charging small appliances such as cell phones, mp3 players. That said, not many can charge large devices such as laptops.
Furthermore, a small electronic device is possible to charge using a USB cable with a 5V output rating. The large devices require a DC power output. These include power ranges of between 12V – 24V.
Portable battery packs don’t only vary in terms of output or capacity, but also size, weight, and technology. The common variations include:
- NiMH – (Nickel Metal Hydride) batteries, these are likely to be rechargeable AA or AAA batteries. A battery pack that has these is a convenient choice for your needs.These include devices such as GPS, headlamps, and cameras. Rather than recharging your device, you can just swap out the batteries.
- Lithium-ion and lithium polymers – these are the most common portable battery packs in the market. They are similar to the inbuilt batteries you may find in electronics.
- Lead-acid batteries – these batteries are large and heavy. They also have the most enormous power output and capacity.
Output Connectors and Adapter Tips
If you go for a solar with a battery, whether it’s integrated or independent, ensure it has the correct connectors for your convenience.
If you buy the panel and battery separately, check the output connect and check whether its suitable for charging your device. More so, also check if you can use it to connect a separate battery pack. The standard options to consider include a USB, a connector, or DC output with voltage control.
Being able to enjoy your time backpacking is all about preparing correctly. It's good to have a passion for the outdoors, and it's also another to be ready for the outdoors. Thus, this guide has identified the best solar charger for backpacking you should consider. When you have one of these chargers, you will find it easy to charge your devices each time. That said, before you invest in a charger, remember to consider critical factors of your chosen device and the charger as well. This way, you reduce any likelihood of causing damage to your device.