The arrival of winter also brings a drastic spike in our energy bills due to the excessive use of heating. A normal heater is said to use 1500 watts of power. Using such heaters can add up to your bill.
This is why it is best to use energy efficient space heaters. These are small appliances that are used to warm small rooms by consuming less power.
A good space heater uses around 750 watts of power. It can help reduce the energy bill by about 50%. Plus, space heaters are more affordable than central heaters and are also said to be easier to maintain.
However, buying an energy efficient space heater can be a bit daunting task as there are so many options on the market. To help you out, we have selected some of the best space heaters.
Let’s have a look:
1. Dr Infrared Portable Space Heater
- Can heat up a large room with Auto Energy Saving Model With High...
- Dual Heating Systems featuring infrared quartz tube + PTC with...
- IR Remote Control, High Pressure Low Noise Blower with Noise...
- Electronic Thermostat: range 50 to 85 degrees. Caster Wheels and...
- Weights 24 lbs and uses 12.5 Amps of Power. 1500 Watts. Electric...
The unit utilizes infrared technology that uses less power to do the job. It is an energy efficient option that can heat a large room in no time. It offers excellent heat distribution to ensure every corner of the room is comfortable.
The heater comes equipped with a quality blower that produces 250 degree F in only 3.5m/s. Thanks to it, this heater will heat up a room in a few minutes only. You will not have to sit in cold for too long.
The blower works silently by producing a sound of only 39 dB which is said to be equal to a whisper. Hence, you won’t be dealing with an irritating sound even if you keep the unit operational for an entire night.
You can choose between 3 power settings to run the appliance:
1. Low Setting: It requires 1000W of power
2. High Setting: It requires 1500W of power
3. Auto Mode: It auto adjusts the desired temperature between 50-86 degrees F.
These options are great. You can run the unit on high if the weather is extreme. Similarly, you use it on the Auto Mode to ensure you do not have to work manually. The unit will work according to room temperature and adjust output accordingly.
There’s a digital thermostat on the heater as well that lets you control the temperature manually. You can also turn the heater on and off using it.
Unlike standard heaters, this one uses infrared technology to heat a space. This technology is different as it heats up the objects in a room and not the air. Thus, the room retains air moisture and you won’t feel dry when this heater is operating.
However, don’t let it fool you. It doesn’t mean the objects will be too hot to touch or anything.
This space heater is super safe to use as there are no exposed heating elements. Hence, it doesn’t pose a fire hazard or any sort of danger. In addition to that, there’s also a tip over protection feature that makes sure the heater doesn’t overheat.
You can operate this space heater with the help of an IR remote that comes with it. It will allow you to set a timer (12-hour), change temperature settings, etc.
Dr Infrared Portable Space Heater can be an excellent choice for users who want to heat up the entire house. You can connect it to a Roomba so that you have nothing to worry about. It’s energy efficient and can help you save money as well.
2. Lasko Designer Series Ceramic Space Heater
- Blends into Your Decor - with a stylish body and finish this...
- Adjustable Thermostat - allows you to adjust the heater's 1500...
- Built-in Timer - can be programmed from 1 hour to 7 hours. Simply...
- Built-in Safety Features - overheat protection ensures the space...
- Fully Assembled - allows you to take the heater out of the box...
Apart from having an elegant and aesthetically pleasing design, this ceramic space heater is equipped to heat large spaces with great ease. It has an LED option to show the current temperature and a thermostat to regulate the temperature as per your desire.
This is a powerful space heater that offers 3 speed options:
The third option can be great when you want to distribute heat across the room. The best part is that it can heat a larger area in no time. At max, it can warm a space of about 320 sq feet in a few minutes only.
The heater has a digital thermostat that can be operated via a remote controller. It helps to regulate temperature manually between 60F to 85F.
You can run the unit on high and then lower it to reduce power consumption. This technique ensures the room gets comfortable in no time without you having to spend a lot of money on bills.
Automatic Shutoff is another option you’ll find on this unit. It will help you catch a good night’s sleep during winters without having to worry about getting up in the middle of the night to turn the unit off. You can choose from 1 to 7 hours of shut off time.
The heater is safe to use as it has a cool exterior. The body doesn’t get hot and is safe for pets and kids who like to play around. However, you must make sure to not let children or kids play it with. Moreover, it incorporates overheat protection as well.
This unit is designed to work silently. You will not face any disturbance due to the heater being operational. This is a great feature that ensures you can rest without any worries.
Using the heater is a piece of cake as it comes pre-assembled. You only need to take it out of the box, plug into a socket, and it’s ready for use.
Lasko Designer Series Ceramic Space Heater-Features Oscillation, Remote, and Built-in Timer tops our list due to its features, appearance, power and efficiency. It has a 6 inches cord that makes it easy to use. Plus, it weighs only 10 pounds which makes it easier to highly mobile. However, it may not be suitable for very big rooms as it can be slow to heat up large spaces.
3. DeLonghi HMP1500 Mica Space Panel Heater
- FULL ROOM WARMTH: Packs 1500 watts of heating power for full room...
- SLEEK LOOK: Whether set on the floor or mounted to the wall, this...
- PERSONALIZED COMFORT: Adjustable thermostat and multiple heat...
- CONVENIENT WALL MOUNT: Safe and easy to mount to any wall with...
- PORTABLE WARMTH: Lightweight, compact unit with convenient handle...
DeLonghi HMP1500 is another efficient space heater that will bring your energy bill down drastically. It operates on 1500W but you can also use it on 750W to save power.
It offers many amazing features such as auto shut off, low noise, and adequate area coverage as well.
This is a small mobile space panel heater that will easily warm a small to medium room. It delivers 5120 BTUs of heating power and can heat up to a 300 sq. ft. of space in just a few minutes.
This is one of the safest heating panels to use at home, especially when you have kids and pets around. It comes with 3 safety features that are hard to find in other products.
All these features ensure safety. There’s an anti-freeze option that prevents the pipe from freezing in extremely cold temperatures. It also incorporates a tip over switch which turns the heater off if it gets tilted more than necessary. Lastly, there’s a thermal cut off feature that shuts the unit down in case there are voltage fluctuations.
The unit uses micathermic technology to provide heat. It involves using thin sheets of mica to produce radiant and convection heat. This technology is safe and can heat up a room in just a few minutes.
There’s an adjustable thermostat that allows you to regulate temperature. Also, it offers 2 speed options to choose from. You can select one that suits you the best.
Plus, the unit is quite easy to move around. It is light in weight and has casters that make it mobile. You can move it around with a slight push and move it from room to room.
DeLonghi HMP1500 Mica Space Panel Heater is a friendly space heater that comes with many safety options. It is easy to use and can also be wall-mounted, keeping it away from kids and pets. However, it may not be suitable for rooms bigger than 300 square feet.
4. Dyson AM09 Fan Heater, Iron/Blue
- This Certified Refurbished product is manufacturer refurbished,...
- Year-round use: quickly heats the whole room in winter with a...
- Patented Air Multiplier technology effectively projects heating...
- Safety: this fan heater has no exposed heating elements so there...
- Includes a curved, magnetized remote to store neatly on the...
This space heater has its own unique flashy style that looks visually appealing. However, this is not all that this beauty offers. It excels in terms of performance as well.
It is more than just a decorative piece. Dyson AM09 is an amazing heater that can heat up a space efficiently by keeping the energy bills as low as possible.
This space heater offers two running modes:
1. Jet Focus: It produces a hot stream of air over long ranges. This mode is suitable for large rooms.
2. Diffused: It involves producing both long range and wider streams of hot air to warm the atmosphere. This one is more suitable for smaller rooms but works very quickly.
Dyson AM09 uses air multiplier technology that generates strong streams of air to be distributed across the area.
The unit is safe to use thanks to the tip-over shut down feature. This option turns the unit off if it falls or gets tilted. Moreover, there is no risk of fire thanks to solid build and no exposed elements.
It comes with a remote controller that makes it easy to use. You can use the remote to change settings including oscillation and temperature.
The oscillation option is great. It distributes air evenly across the room and warms it up in a quick manner.
The highlight of Dyson AM09 is its ability to operate in complete silence. In fact, the Noise Abatement society has awarded this product with the Quiet Mark award for its silent operation.
Dyson AM09 Fan Heater, Iron/Blue is a reliable energy efficient space heater that looks good and functions well. Said to be suitable for 1200 sq. ft. of rooms, it works best for rooms up to 800 sq. ft.
5. Honeywell UberHeat Ceramic Heater
- ENERGY EFFICIENT HEAT: The UberHeat Ceramic Heater offers...
- EASY TO USE: Ideal for tabletop or floor placement, this powerful...
- INCREASE YOUR COMFORT: Using portable heaters in your home can...
- SMART SAVINGS: Portable heaters are a smart and easy way to add...
- HONEYWELL QUALITY: Help improve heating & energy savings in your...
This stylish space heater looks like a speaker and blends in quite nicely with the overall look of most rooms.
It offers 2 temperature settings and a thermostat to regulate temperature as per your own will. The product is safe to use and will make up for a good addition to your home’s decor as well.
This heater might seem small in dimensions but it is capable of delivering a lot of heat for a smaller room.
Users get to choose from two operating modes, 1500W and 750W. You can switch to the 750W mode to make it consume less power and save money.
It is equipped with a thermostat that lets you control the temperature as per your will. You may use it manually, however worry not as the unit works automatically as well.
It’s a good space heater, especially when it comes to safety. It incorporates a cool exterior that doesn’t feel hot on touch and it also incorporates the tip-over switch option that turns the unit off when tilted more. Plus, there is no risk of fires as it protects against overheating.
It comes in two colors, black and white. Plus, you will have no problem in finding a corner to place the unit due to its small size.
Honeywell UberHeat Ceramic Heater for Powerful Personal Heating in Small Spaces can be a good pick for users looking to warm small spaces. It’s quite affordable and reliable as well. However, the unit can be a little noisy.
6. Pro Breeze 1500W Mini Ceramic Space Heater
- Cost-Efficient, Super Fast Warming: This electric heater is...
- Powerful Heating: This small space heater features 750W (Low) and...
- Adjustable Thermostat: This portable heater with thermostat...
- Advanced Safety Features: Built in overheat protection and an...
- Ultra Portable: The lightweight and compact design allows this...
Pro Breeze works on ceramic technology and works well. It offers multiple operating modes along with an adjustable thermostat to regulate temperature.
This heater offers 3 operating modes to choose from. You can set it to lower (750W) if you wish to make it consume less power. If you want to warm up big spaces, then it’s best to operate the unit at full (1500W). Other than this, you can also choose to only operate the fan to regulate an already heated room.
It is equipped with PTC heating elements that work to deliver hot streams of air. Moreover, it has a large intake area which results in better circulation and heats up in just a few minutes.
The tip-over feature is an important one in any heater. Since this one weighs over 2 pounds only, there is always the risk of the unit getting tripped. Such situations can be very risky. However, you do not have to worry about such problems as the unit has trip over protection.
The heater will shut off if it gets tripped to ensure there’s no risk. Apart from that, it also comes with overheat protection. The unit will shut down automatically in case of voltage fluctuations.
Pro Breeze 1500W Mini Ceramic Space Heater with 3 Operating Modes and Adjustable Thermostat is quite a cool unit thanks to amazing safety features. However, it may not be able to throw hot air in all the corners and is best for office spaces since it only warms about an area of five feet. All these features make it the most energy efficient space heater.
7. Portable Space Heater Oscillating Electric Heater
- 🌝 【 Easy-to-use Heater with 3 Modes】 Two Heat Mode...
- 🌝 【 Quick Heating and Energy-saving 】 PTC ceramic heating...
- 🌝 【 Safe and Reliable to Use 】 Made of quality-assured...
- 🌝 【 Quiet Space Heater 】 Lower than 45dB level, the...
- 🌝 【 Portable Mini Heater 】 6.2×7.5×10.8 inch in size,...
If you are looking for a space heater that can heat a room in just two seconds then this Portable Space Heater by Kloudic can be a good pick.
Said to be more suitable for offices, this unit works well for small rooms as well.
The unit uses PTC elements and works on ceramic heating technology. It’s a safe and effective way to heat a space. In fact, a large number of reliable heating products use this technology.
You can operate the unit at one of the two settings:
- 950W: This uses more power and will heat up a space much quicker.
- 600W: This uses less power and can help you save money.
It is best to start the unit at 950W and reduce it to 600W once you have reached the desired temperature.
The unit produces only 42 dB of noise when operated at 600W. You can place it in your bedroom or living room without worrying about it making a lot of noise. However, it might be a bit disturbing if you sit too close to it.
The heater is completely safe for office and home use thanks to the tip-over overheat protection and flame resistant body.
You will have to worry about nothing as the exterior does not catch flame. Moreover, it offers overheat protection and will shut down on its own in case of a voltage surge. Lastly, it also comes with tip-over protection.
Portable Space Heater Oscillating Electric Heater By Kloudic can be a good choice for users looking for a portable unit. However, it may not be suitable for big spaces as it does not produce a lot of heat and can be a bit noisy when run on max. All these features make it one of the best energy efficient space heaters.
8. Sure Heat 30,000 BTU Blue Flame Dual Fuel Gas Space Heater
- 99.9-percent efficient and works with both liquid propane or...
- The convection heat warms the air in the room first and then...
- Thermostatic control turns blower on and off automatically to...
- Easy installation for wall or floor mount with brackets and...
- Piezzo ignition and ods (oxygen depletion sensor) included. omni...
This is a gas operated space heater that offers 99.9% efficiency whether you use natural gas or propane as a fuel source.
It is able to heat up a room nicely and also has an elegant design that won’t affect the look of your room.
What makes this an efficient space heater is the fact that it covers 1000 sq. ft. of space by using very little fuel. You can choose from two fuel sources, which is great. You can pick one that is more affordable and readily available.
The good thing is that it works well whether you use propane or natural gas. Plus, it heats up not only the air but also the objects that fall in the radius of 1000 sq. ft. It works so well due to the presence of a powerful blower.
There’s a built-in thermostat inside the unit that helps regulate temperature automatically and keep the environment warm.
It works on an electronic piezo ignition system that requires no batteries. This makes the unit quite efficient and ensures you have nothing to worry about.
Sure Heat 30,000 BTU Blue Flame Dual Fuel Gas Space Heater with Thermostat and Blower works using a propane/natural gas heater. It is safe to use and works well, however it is not very mobile due to its weight. All these features make it one of the best energy efficient space heaters.
9. Mr. Heater 30,000 BTU Vent Free Blue Flame Natural Gas Heater
- 30,000 BTU Natural Gas heater to heat spaces up to 1000 square...
- Blue flame burner for even convection heat. Maximum Elevation...
- Automatic low oxygen shut-off system (ODS). CSA Certified. Heater...
- Operating this heater at altitudes over 4,500 FT above sea level...
- Fuel Type:Natural Gas.Not for use in bathrooms, bedrooms, or...
Mr. Heater is a popular gas heater that looks aesthetically pleasing. It incorporates a blue flame that can enhance the visual appeal of your room. Plus, it is also effective.
It works on the convection blue flame heating mechanism that warms a room starting from the ceiling and then down. Hence, every corner of the room will be warm and comfortable.
The option is quite safe as it doesn’t involve any kind of heat radiation. Thus, you can expect this unit to warm your room safely and efficiently.
It works on natural gas and can be wall mounted. The unit is suitable for rooms up to 750 sq. ft. of area. Plus, unlike other heaters, it does not reduce moisture.
Plus, the heater is safe to use thanks to the oxygen shut off feature which shuts the appliance off when oxygen level begins to drop. With this unit, you can sleep for hours without any issue or discomfort.
Mr. Heater 30,000 BTU Vent Free Blue Flame Natural Gas Heater may not be the best product on the list but it does have some amazing features. It covers a large area and can distribute heat in a safe manner. All these features make it the best energy efficient space heater.
Best Energy Efficient Space Heater Buying Guide
There are a number of space heaters out there. Make sure to pick one that works the best for you.
Check out a few factors you must keep in mind when buying the best energy efficient space heater:
- Area Coverage: The first thing to look into is the area a heater can cover. If you want to heat up a large room or space then you will need to choose a space heater that covers more than 600 - 700 sq. ft. of area.
- Technology: Ceramic technology is said to be the best choice. It makes the unit deliver hot streams of air over a long radius. Thus, you will feel comfortable and at ease at all times.
- Safety: Safety is one of the biggest concerns in space heaters. One wrong move and you could trigger a fire. To avoid this from happening, choose a heater that comes with overheating protection, flame resistant body, and tip-over feature. These safety features will give you peace of mind.
- Thermostat: A thermostat can help to regulate the temperature automatically.
- Timer: This feature offers great ease. You can set the timer and rest without having to worry about anything as the unit will shut off on its own.
- Mobile: Pick a unit that’s mobile so you can move it from one corner to another without any problem. Weight can be a big player in this regard.
Energy Efficient Space Heaters FAQ
#1 Is infrared technology safe?
Ans. Yes, it is safe. Infrared technology does not use UV, hence it is safe to use.
#2 How can I save money with energy efficient space heaters?
Ans. You will save money as they consume less power than traditional heaters. However, how much you save depends on how you use the tool.
#3 Is it safe to move a heater from one corner to another?
Ans. Yes, it is safe, but you must switch off the unit before you move it.
#4 How can I retain heat for longer?
Ans. You can run the unit for longer and ensure proper insulation so that no cold air can enter the room.