Best Storage Cabinet for Your Garage Space
Having storage space is a bed of roses that some of us lack. We all wish to keep things organized or at least away from the view of the room. This is why a storage cabinet is essential. The garage storage space is an excellent opportunity to increase the storage space of your garage. Instead of leaving your work surface looking messy, get a storage cabinet to store and organize your working tools and materials safely.
Garage cabinets often come in different sizes and types depending on what you're looking to achieve. Some have locking doors, wheels, built-in workspace, while some may lack such features. Furthermore, some are made with steel, heavy-duty plastic, or wood, and some of them are freestanding while others can be wall-mounted.
With that being said, we have reviewed the best storage cabinets available for garage space, either at home or in a commercial space, and we also have a list of the features to consider before you buy.
5 Best garage storage cabinets
1. Fedmax Storage Cabinet with Doors and Shelves
- LOCK AND TWO KEYS INCLUDED: Prevent unauthorized access using our...
- ADJUSTABLE SHELF HEIGHT: Four of the five shelves in these garage...
- WEIGHT CAPACITY: Sturdy and reliable - each of the five shelves...
- LEG LEVELERS: Looking to set up garage cabinets with doors and...
- ASSEMBLY: This garage storage cabinet comes unassembled and to...
Our top pick for the best storage cabinet is the Fedmax Storage Cabinet with doors and shelves. This cabinet is great for garage storage but can also be used in an office. It is a freestanding storage cabinet with shelves to help you keep your tools and materials safely.
Four out of five shelves can be adjusted to accommodate a range of items. It is made of heavy-duty stainless steel that can hold up to 180 pounds each. Although this cabinet only weighs 105 pounds, it has a total weight capacity of 900 pounds. It measures 70.86 inches by 31.5 inches by 15.75 inches, and so you can pack a lot of tools in there.
The cabinet has two easily lockable doors. It has a pre-installed lock with two keys for security purposes and legs levelers to ensure this storage cabinet remains stable even on an uneven surface.
2. Rubbermaid 72-Inch Four-Shelf Double-Door
- Provides 27 cubic feet of storage capacity; 690-pound storage...
- Rugged high-density polyethylene construction; no-tool assembly
- One storage container; lock not included
- Measures 36 inches wide, 72 inches high, 18 inches deep; 68...
This 2-Door Storage Cabinet from Rubbermaid boasts of its great quality and space. It’s a large storage option for your garage or workshop. It is easy to assemble cabinet pieces because they snap together; therefore, you won’t have to worry about using tools to assemble them.
The Rubbermaid storage cabinet is a freestanding garage cabinet made of high-density plastic. It has four shelves, with each holding up to 170 pounds. The cabinet itself weighs only 68 pounds but has a total maximum weight capacity of 680 pounds.
It measures 72 inches tall by 36 inches wide by 18 inches deep with a storage capacity of 21 cubic feet. A great way to store a lot of tools safely. It’s rust-proof, waterproof, resistant to warping unless exposed to extreme heat.
3. UltraHD Tall Storage Cabinet - Stainless Steel
- Set of 4 5" Wheels (2 wheels with brakes) included
- Stainless Steel Segmented Doors
- Dimensions: 36" W x 18" D x 72" H
- Weight Capacity: 600 lbs total, 150 lbs for each shelf
- Powder Coated Steel Frame
The UltraHD Storage cabinet is a stainless steel cabinet that is attractive and offers you a space to organize and store up your tools, equipment, or material. The best thing about it is that it has sturdy wheels that make it easy to move, making it easy to clean beneath and behind the cabinet.
It is 72 inches tall, 36 inches wide, and 18 inches deep. It has four shelves, where three are adjustable. Each of the shelves can hold up to 150 pounds, which means the whole cabinet has a total weight capacity of 600 pounds.
The UltraHD stainless steel storage cabinet also boasts a stable and durable structure of steel doors and a powder-coated steel frame and so you are assured that whatever items you store are safe.
4. Gladiator GAWG28FDYG Full-Door Storage cabinet
- The tab and loop design on all of the panels minimizes the need...
- The Wall Bracket Kit moves your cabinet up off the floor and onto...
- The extremely durable magnetic catch powerfully holds the cabinet...
- The steel cabinet panels, along with heavy-duty Allen head bolt...
The Gladiator GAWG28FDYG Full Door Wall Storage Cabinet offers an ideal garage storage space for your tools and equipment. It is 28 inches tall, 12 inches deep, and 28 inches wide. It is indeed a sufficient storage space and also a practical solution for your storage needs.
This storage cabinet is constructed using heavy-duty steel material, meaning it is durable and steady. If you are looking for ways to ease congestion on the garage floor, then this is a great one since the Gladiator cabinet can be mounted on the wall or placed on top of another cabinet.
It has two adjustable shelves, with each holding a maximum weight of 40 pounds, and can support a total of 150 pounds. The cabinet doors have magnetic latches to keep them secure and intact, preventing them from swinging and accidentally knocking you when you are arranging or removing something from the cabinet.
5. Keter Storage Cabinet with Doors and Shelves
- DIMENSIONS: 26.77 in. L x 14.96 in. W x 67.32 in. H. PACKAGING...
- RESIN CONSTRUCTION: Durable polypropylene resin construction is...
- 4 ADJUSTABLE SHELVES can be configured to suit a variety of...
- COMPACT design makes it suitable for use in space-challenged...
- DURABLE freestanding mountable design perfect for storing heavy...
The Keter Storage Cabinet with doors and shelves is a budget-friendly storage cabinet that is designed to be a garage storage unit. It has a high-quality plastic polypropylene resin construction and a freestanding design. This means that it’s steady and easy enough to maintain but doesn’t peel, dent, or rust.
It has four adjustable shelves, and it is 67 inches tall. Each shelf can hold up to 44 pounds. If you need a little more storage space or are looking to find a secure place to store your tools, then this KETER Cabinet is a great option. Its lockable doors can be padlocked shut, and the compact design makes it suitable for more confined spaces. If you are looking for a storage cabinet for outdoor or industrial use, then this is a great one for you.
What to Consider Before Buying a Garage Storage Cabinet
It is important to check the space available in your garage before starting your search. If you buy the wrong size, then the garage storage cabinet will be useless. Fortunately, there are different sizes of storage cabinets in the market to match your needs.
If your floor space is small, but you need a big cabinet, then the best garage storage will be one with a great height. Choose a tall cabinet with a size of 60 and 70 inches high. This will offer you additional vertical space without taking up too much space on your floor.
You can also choose to maximize your space with hanging or wall-mounted cabinets. However, if the floor space is not an issue and you have a big garage, then you can find one that is wider and taller. This will give you additional storage space for your tools and materials.
Find out how the cabinet doors open so as to plan the storage space properly. Some cabinets have sliding doors that may not require space for the door to swing, so they can comfortably fit into compact spaces.
2. Weight Capacity
Determine the maximum weight that your garage cabinets can hold without collapsing. If you have heavy tools, consider getting one with shelves that can hold a higher amount of weight. Garage cabinets, which are made of stainless steel or aluminum, tend to hold the most weight compared to wooden or plastic ones.
A garage storage cabinet can come in different materials like plastic, wood, aluminum, and stainless steel. The best material for storage cabinets will depend on your intended use, so this is an essential factor to consider. The materials include;
- Plastic garage cabinets- The plastic ones may lack the ability to store bulky items; however, they are durable. They are also waterproof, rustproof, and lightweight, making them an excellent option for outdoor use.
- Wood storage cabinets-The wood cabinets may rot because of moisture and cause damage to your tools and materials. However, they add style to your garage giving your garage a classy look. They are also stronger than the plastic ones, which means they can hold heavy items.
- Aluminum and stainless steel storage cabinets- These are heavy, durable, and the best storage cabinets for a busy garage. However, these cabinets can be a little more expensive compared to the wood and the plastic ones.
Depending on your skill and experience, it is vital to choose a garage storage system that is easy to install. Some free-standing cabinets may come with set up requirements and are the easiest to install and assemble.
Wall-mounted cabinets may require you to properly fasten the cabinets to them so that they are well supported. You may require some additional help during installation. Complete garage storage systems are the most difficult to install because of the number of items that need to be assembled and installed.
5. Storage Shelves
When looking for a garage cabinet, consider what tools or items you will store in it. Cabinets may vary in sizes and also the number of shelves. This depends on their design. For example, if you are looking to store larger tools and materials, then you may need one with stronger shelves. The shelves should be relatively few or removable and avoid one with drawers.
If you have smaller items like screws, you need drawers or multiple shelves to organize them effectively. There are also cabinets with adjustable shelves. The adjustable shelves give you a chance to customize them to fit your needs.
Generally, tall cabinets with two doors will have four shelves at most times, and shorter storage options will have one or two shelves. Read the product description to know if the number of shelving units indicated includes the base cabinet or not.
For the garage cabinets, the price will dictate the quality and the size of the cabinet. What you pay for is what you will get in terms of size and quality. For example, cheap cabinets, most of the time, are made from a cheap plastic material, while those are made from a heavy and long-lasting material. Smaller cabinets also tend to be more affordable compared to larger ones.
It would be best if you considered how a cabinet looks in relation to your walls, furniture, and other home furnishings. If you are looking to add color to your garage, choose a tool cabinet with a color that matches your walls' color and surroundings. The exterior finish is another thing to consider in style.
8. Additional Features
Garage storage solution may come with a range of extra storage features in terms of security, efficiency, or aesthetics. Some of these great additional features may include;
- Locking system-These are important for any home with children or a storage room that can be accessible by kids. The locking system is used to simply keep the dangerous tools and materials out o the child's reach and also to keep them safe from being stolen.
- Attached workbench- Some garage storage systems may include a workbench that gives you space to store and a work surface to use your tools.
- Built-in lighting-Some garage cabinets may include lighting. For the wall-mounted garage cabinet, the lighting is placed on the cabinet's underside to illuminate the workbench. For freestanding or wheeled garage cabinets, there may be interior lighting that is only activated when the doors open, so you can easily see your items.
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs) on Garage Cabinets
1. What is the best garage wall storage system?
The best garage wall storage system is one that perfectly matches your needs. However, we recommend the Gladiator GAWG28FDYG Full-Door Storage cabinet. This is because it offers ideal storage space, is durable and easy to mount on the walls.
2. How deep should garage cabinets be?
Garage cabinets come in different cabinets. A typical garage storage cabinet has a depth of between 16 and 26 inches deep, with 26 inches having a higher price. If you are really looking for a deep one, professionals will recommend one with a maximum depth of 26 inches. However, all dependent on your garage space and budget.
3. Can you use kitchen cabinets in the garage?
The interior kitchen cabinets can be used in a garage, including both upper and base cabinets. Base cabinets really offer several benefits: deep inner storage for large items; drawers for fasteners, hardware, or other small tools; and, of course, a convenient flat work surface.