WEN started in 1951 and today enjoys a good reputation. It specializes in manufacturing everyday tools such as chainsaws, knife sharpeners, and soldering guns. However, it has also made quite a name when it comes to high-quality generators.
In this WEN 56180 generator review, we’ll have a look at this beauty. It is a portable generator capable of delivering lots of power for many hours. This gas-powered generator has a larger fuel tank and a durable engine as well.
It offers 1800W of starting power and 1500W of running power which can help you start many appliances. It may not be the biggest or most powerful generator out there but it can be suitable for users looking for a small generator.
So, without much ado, let’s have a look at the features of WEN 56180 generator and decide if it is worth a buy:
WEN 56180 Generator Specifications
4 stroke OHV engine
Recoil Manual System
EPA III and CARB compliant approved
Metal, Steel open frame
7.5 hours on 50% load.
Two 120V 12.5 Amp AC portsOne 12V DC port.
19.9 X 15.9X 17.1 inches
2 years limited warranty
WEN 56180 Generator Features:
1. Solid Engine: WEN 56180 comes equipped with a powerful 98cc 4-stroke OHV engine. This top-notch engine can deliver continuous power without heating up thanks to the internal air cooling system installed.
The air cooling system keeps the internal components cool including the engine. Hence, there is no risk of the engine sustaining any damage even if the weather is hot.
2. Power: With this generator, you get clean and continuous 1800 watts of starting power and 1500 watts of running power.
This much power enough is enough to run appliances such as blenders, slow cookers, computers, television sets, and fans.
We suggest that you always look at the label on the appliance to make sure that the generator can support it. It’s not exactly made to run ACs or irons as they require a lot of power but it is enough to offer you a good night’s sleep during summer or allow you to work outside when it’s dark as it can support a bunch of fans and light bulbs.
3. Runtime And Gas Tank: WEN 56180 incorporates a 1.1-gallon fuel tank. It sounds a tad bit smaller but surprisingly, this tank can last up to 7.5 hours when the unit is operated on 50% load.
The longer runtime feature makes it trip and picnic ready as well. You can easily relax and count on the generator to keep you comfortable and your appliances running for a long time.
4. Outlets: There are the outlets on this generator:
Two AC 120V 12.5A three-prong wall outlets which are typical household 5-20R.
A cigarette-lighter-style 12V DC outlet on the unit.
You can utilize both the outlets together and run two appliances simultaneously. However, keep tabs on the overall power and make sure that it doesn’t exceed the generator’s limit.
5. Starting Mechanism: There’s no electric push-button start system on this compact generator. It might be a shortcoming but the pull start system on the unit is not too bad.
The cord is flexible and it doesn’t require a lot of power to pull. However, we do wish it had the electric system.
6. Portability: This generator is easy to store and carry around since it weighs only 50 pounds. Apart from being one of the lightest generators, it also has side handles for better grip. Do not worry about having to put a lot of strain on your hand thanks to these features.
7. Silent Operation: This unit has a decibel noise rating of just 65 dB when operated at 100% load. You can choose to keep the generator at a distance to make sure the noise does not bother you. If that doesn’t work, consider reducing the load as it may considerably reduce the noise as well.
This is possible thanks to the engine being secured on motor mounts which suppresses noises by reducing vibrations.
8. Spark Arrestor: Generators do come with certain risks. They may malfunction or cause the attached appliances to sustain damage if the load exceeds the generator’s capabilities. This, however, is not a concern with WEN 56180 as it has a spark arrestor installed.
The attestor limits power supply and ensures that your family and appliances remain safe.
9. Low Oil Shutdown: Running the generator at low oil is risky. It can cause damage to the engine and also affect connected appliances.
The solution to this problem is present in WEN 56180 in the form of low oil shutdown. This feature gauges the oil levels and notifies the user and shuts down the unit when it detects low oil.
This is important to ensure the unit continues to work well and for a long period of time. All you have to do is refill oil and you’ll be once again ready to use the generator.
WEN 56180 Generator FAQS
Q. Can I power up a heavier appliance with it?
Ans. This generator is meant to power small to medium appliances. We suggest you to never put more pressure than what it can handle (1500W).
However, some items may need more starting power and less continuous power, hence it may be able to handle some bigger appliances too due to it offering 1800 starting power.
Q. How to refill the oil and which oil to use?
Ans. It requires less than a quarter of oil. You can use synthetic oil. Follow the guide for instructions on how to refill oil.
Q. Is it difficult to move around since there are no wheels attached?
Ans. Not really, because the unit weighs only 50 pounds. You can easily carry it. This is also why it is suitable for outdoor uses.
If you are looking for a smaller portable generator that can power up small to medium appliances then WEN 56180 can be a good choice. It is durable, reliable, and with some kickass features.