Best Home Safe with Premium Features to Protect Valuables
There were an estimated 7,196,045 property crime offenses in the state, according to the Federal Bureau of Investigation statistics, just in 2018. Out of those, an estimated $16.4 billion in property was lost. Security systems and video cameras will come in handy in helping keep the burglars away; however, they aren’t always foolproof, which is why you'll need the best home safe to help keep your valuables safe.
Home invasions and burglary cases are on the rise, and you should always take extra precautions to be always prepared since safes protect valuable items. Better safe than sorry, right? So in the eventuality that someone manages to get inside your house, there should be additional measures with the use of the best home safes to help protect your valuables as well as those important documents.
Are Home Safes Really Worth It?
Other than burglaries, you'd want to keep anything valuable at home safe from any other form of theft, fire, and water, or any other unexpected events. Home safes are a great way to keep items such as that irreplaceable family heirloom or top-secret or important documents safe yet accessible whenever you need them.
Home safes come in different variables, which you'll have to consider before purchasing your security home safe. These include size, lock system, and how portable they are.
Here's a comprehensive list of the best home safes on the market currently. Keenly consider your specific needs to find what's best for you.
1. The MSAFE PSB 220 Home Safe -Best for Apartments
- Modern design equipped with a flush ring pull handle and an...
- Manufactured to S2 burglary resistance rating in accordance with...
- Double-wall Flame and heat resistant construction with three-way...
- Anchor holes in bottom and back safe
- Neutral light cream color
This home safe comes in a compact size that's durable, heavy-duty, and with a premium construction that's most ideal for apartment dwellers. The MSAFE PSB lineup is primarily built to offer burglary protection, but it also comes with a 20-minute fireproof resistance rating. However, if security from fire is a large concern, the PFB line might be an ideal choice.
The PSB 220 safe is small in size; however, it still manages to offer plenty of space for your jewelry, cash, passports, small personal items, etc. Its compact size gets the job done unless, of course, if you're planning to store large-sized documents.
One of the more impressive features of this particular safe is the pre-drilled holes that are at the bottom and the back of the safe. As a result, this wall safe gives apartment renters a great advantage since they most likely can't drill into the floor but can drill into the wall-stud, just like you would if you were hanging a portrait frame. In addition, this great portable safe gives the renter an ideal way to anchor it in place without breaking the rental lease.
- Lock system- 3-way locking bolts and an ECBS Class A lock with an electronic keypad
- Exterior dimensions (HxWxD)- 8-5/8"x 13-3/4"x 11-3/4"
- Dimensions inside (HxWxD)- 5-1/2" x 10-5/8" x 7-1/2"
- Portability: Weighs only 31 pounds, making it quite portable
2. SentrySafe Fireproof Home Safe-Best Portability
- Fireproof box is UL Classified to endure 1/2 hour at 1550°F to...
- Fire safe box is ETL Verified to protect CDs, DVDs, and USBs from...
- Fireproof lock box features a flat key lock to prevent the lid...
- Document safe accommodates letter-size hanging files for easy...
- Exterior: 15.3 inch W x 12.1 inch D x 13.6 inch H; Interior: 12...
While traveling, you might sometimes need to bring valuables with you for transactions or in case of a natural disaster or some other type of emergency. This security safe ranks high in portability and gives you the convenience of handles for easier transport.
Additionally, another great feature that makes this one of the best home safes you can get is that it can withstand fires up to 1550 degrees Fahrenheit for up to 30 minutes. In addition, it comes with a privacy key lock that's designed to keep this home safe closed in case of a fire, and on top of that, it's also incredibly affordable.
- Lock system - Key lock
- External protection - Fireproof to 1550°F for at least half an hour
- Weight - 11 lb. and portable
- External dimensions (WxDxH)- 12.2"x 10.3" x 6.1"
- Internal dimensions (WxDxH) - 9.7" x 7.3" x 3.8 "
- Storage capacity of 0.15 cubic feet
3. Barska Mini Biometric Home Safe-Best Compact Option
- 【High-Quality Secure Safe】BARSKA DOJ Approved Biometric Safe...
- 【Solid Steel Construction】Solidly built with 100% steel...
- 【Advanced Biometric Scanner】Our top-quality biometric scanner...
- 【Ultra-Compact Storage】With 0.28 ft³, the Biometric Safe has...
- 【Optional Silent Mode】Safe features a silent mode that...
This solid steel home safe is small in size; however, it does come with some powerful features. The Barska mini is a popular choice for gun owners and can easily fit two handguns, depending on their sizes. Additionally, thanks to a biometric fingerprint sensor this safe, uses your finger to open in just 2.5 seconds.
Additionally, you can also program multiple trusted users. You can safely mount some places that are high to keep it away from small children.
- Lock system- Biometric scanning with a backup key
- Weight 12 lb. and portable
- External dimensions (WxDxH)- 12" x 7-¾" x 8"
- Internal dimensions (WxDxH)- 11 ½ " x 5 ¾" x 7 ½"
4. Viking Large Biometric Safe - Best Larger Safe Option
- HIGHTLY SECURE 20” x 14” x 12” BIOMETRIC FINGERPRINT SAFE -...
- FAST ACCESS PERSONAL SAFE FOR HOME & OFFICE DEFENCE AND...
- EASY TO SET UP & SIMPLE TO USE - Scan & Save up to 32...
- PRY-RESISTANT by DESIGN, TIGHTLY SEALED SOLID STEEL BODY GUN SAFE...
- External Dimensions: H 19.69” (508 mm) x W 13.78”(305 mm) x D...
Unlike others n the list, the Viking security home safe is most ideal for its larger size. At just less than 50 pounds, it is not as massive that you wouldn't know where to put it, but still large enough to secures more items than the average safe.
It can store 32 different fingerprints and added safety features that help ensure that you don't accidentally leave it open. But, unfortunately, it's not safe from fire and water damage.
- Lock system - Biometric scanning with a backup key
- Weight- 48 lb. and not so portable
- Exterior dimensions (WxH)- 16.69” x 13.78”
- Interior dimensions (WxDxH) - 19.29” x 12.5” x 9.25”
- Extra safety features - that you can't accidentally leave open for more than one minute
- Pry-resistant steel features
- A time out period if someone uses their fingerprint ten times unsuccessfully
5. Stalwart Digital Home Safety Box - Best Value
- PORTABLE SAFE – The digital small safe box can conveniently be...
- MULTI-PURPOSE – Securely store your cash, jewelry, documents,...
- LED KEYPAD – The safe is protected with an LED keypad that can...
- AUTOMATIC LOCK – After 3 incorrect entries, the alarm will...
- PRODUCT DETAILS – Material: Steel. Dimensions:...
This digital safe comes as one of the best home safe options for budget shoppers at its price point and value. In addition, it comes with extra safety features such as an automatic lock that automatically locks after 3 incorrect entries on its LED keypad to give you peace of mind.
Additionally, you can create customizable codes for your guests who might want to keep their cash, jewelry, or other valuables safe during their stay. This safe also comes with override keys if you forget the code or if the battery suddenly runs out. Unfortunately, it's not safe from fire or water damage.
- Lock system - Electronic keypad and key backup
- Weight-12 lb. and portable
- Exterior dimensions (WxDxH): 7.9”x 12.2”x 7.9”
- Intenal dimensions (WxDxH)- 5.5”x 12.08”x 7.75”
- Extra safety features such as the lockout period after 3 incorrect entries
Factors to Consider for the Best Home Safe
A) Safe Size (Interior/Exterior)
Always consider what type of valuables you are planning to keep in your safe since this will determine what size of security safe you'll purchase. For example, a compact home security safe should work if you only plan to store important documents, jewelry, cash, or other smaller items.
However, if you plan to keep more sizeable valuables safe, make sure that you know the inside dimensions of the safe before buying it. Many heavy-duty safes will have a much smaller interior storage space compartment to shield items from external elements.
B) Lock Type
There are plenty of ways to lock and unlock a home safe, and which one you'll get largely depends on your personal preferences and how quickly you might need to access the items. Here are the different locks to consider:
i) Traditional lock system
This home-safe locking system uses a traditional key.
ii) Digital lock system
- Biometric lock system -This type of home safe has a biometric fingerprint sensor that will unlock using your fingerprint
- Combination locking system - A combination lock type of home safe opens like a locker with a combination of numbers. The combination lock may alternatively come with a digital keypad to enter the numbers
- The dual lock system-This type of home safe uses two unlocking methods. For instance, you could use a combination and a traditional key to open
Frequently Asked Questions on the Best Home Safe
1. What's the best place to put my home safe?
It's always best to keep your home safe well hidden. The best home safes can be mounted in a closet, wall, or floor under your bed to protect your valuables.
Ultimately, wherever you decide to place it, always consider how accessible it is and how quickly you can get to it during an emergency. Most importantly, hide it from plain sight, where the children or guests won’t easily access it.
2. What’s the highest fire-resistance rating for a fireproof safe?
It’s recommended that you always purchase a fire-resistant safe that has at least one hour of safety in the event of a fire. If the fire-resistant safe has been tested by the Underwriters Laboratories and meets the safety requirements, the safety features will include, ‘UL 2-hour fire safe.’ In addition, always double-check the temperature rating that the fire-resistant home safe can withstand.
3. Can someone steal a home safe?
Yes, even home safes can be stolen. So as you're considering what home safe to buy, always check its bolts and pry-resistant locking features and consider bolting your home security safe to the ground or in the wall to prevent theft.
4. Should I bolt down my home security safe?
To keep your valuables safe, it's highly recommended that your security safe is bolted down regardless of its size or weight. Particularly, heavy-duty home safes are great; they are heavy, solid, and intimidating in comparison to the smaller safes; however, if it's not bolted down, burglars and thieves will readily move any safe they come across.