Best Lawn Sprinkler Systems for Evenly WATERING LAWNS
A healthy, lush, and green lawn is a result of regular mowing and watering, at the very least. If you are tired of using a handheld hose nozzle to water your lawn, then it is time to invest in the best lawn sprinkler system to do the job for you. Lawn sprinklers are usually much more convenient than manually spraying, and unlike underground sprinklers that require digging and professional installation, they will connect straight to your garden hose. However, some models require little effort apart from attaching the sprinkler to a garden hose.
Some models require you to move the lawn sprinkler across the garden to boost coverage, while other models can be programmed to move around the garden on their own while watering the lawn. Conversely, if you prefer a stationary model, you can opt for an in-ground sprinkler system, which you can set on a timer. This sprinkler model comes with a sprinkler pump to ensure even watering without the need to pull the garden hose around.
It can be overwhelming to choose the best lawn sprinklers since there are many options on the market. However, since you are here, lets us guide you on the best option to buy regarding your needs, the size of the lawn, and other factors. Keep reading!
1. Melnor Turbo Oscillating Sprinkler, 65074-AMZ XT
- 20 Precision nozzles provide maximum coverage of large lawns or...
- Twin touch controls adjust the width and range of the watering...
- Zoom control adjusts the overall watering area. Zoom in for a...
- Quickly connect and disconnect the sprinkler with an included...
- Backed by the Melnor Limited Lifetime . We stand behind our...
If you are looking for the best oscillating lawn sprinkler, count on the Melnor Turbo Oscillating Sprinkler, 65074-AMZ. This lawn sprinkler comes with a control dial that offers greater adjustability giving the water changes more precision. Moreover, this sprinkler will help you water large sections of up to 4,500 sq. ft of lawn in a rectangular pattern, plus it allows you to adjust both the length and the width of the spray pattern.
Melnor Oscillating Sprinkler features a turbo which you can program to regulate water flow and increase or decrease the size of the coverage area. Also, the turbo comes with a metal filter washer in its hose fixture for trapping debris. Additionally, the sprinkler's rectangular oscillating head comes with 20 precision nozzles for even water distribution, plus the sprinkler features a nozzle-cleaning tool that easily removes blockages when it occurs.
Lastly, the Melnor Oscillating Lawn Sprinkler is made from heavy-duty plastic and has a lightweight of 1.5 pounds. When connecting, just set it for how long you want the lawn watered, and the unit will automatically shut off when it is done.
2. Orbit Impact Sprinkler on Tripod, 56667N
- LARGE-AREA COVERAGE: Sprays up to 85 feet in diameter, covering...
- DURABLE CONSTRUCTION: Quality zinc materials ensure it will last...
- ADJUSTABLE COVERAGE: Easily adjust spray coverage from a partial...
- CUSTOMIZABLE SETTINGS: Use the deflector shield and diffuser...
- ANTI-BACKSPLASH ARM: Improves the sprinklers ability to spray...
If you are looking for the best lawn sprinkler system that comes with a tripod base, we recommend the Orbit Impact Sprinkler (56667N) on Tripod Base. This lawn sprinkler sprays up to 85 ft in diameter, covering a large area of 5,670 sq. feet when set to a full circle. You can adjust the spray to cover a full 360 degrees or even a smaller arc if needed. Furthermore, the sprinkler elevates, which helps with coverage.
The lawn sprinkler comes with customizable settings; use the diffuser screw and deflector shield to change the stream and alter the spray distance radius from 20 feet to 42 feet. It also comes with an anti-backsplash arm which enhances the unit's ability to spray water in the desired direction and a consistent pattern. Furthermore, it is constructed from quality zinc materials, ensuring it lasts season after season, plus it is a strong unit.
The main drawback with this lawn sprinkler is that the adjustment clip is fragile, and the pulsating feature doesn't work sometimes. Also, the garden hose connection can be an issue, as it could leak. Additionally, the one-year warranty is not quite long enough to cover. However, you can purchase a new sprinkler head.
3. Nelson 13,500 Sq. Ft. Traveling Sprinkler RainTrain
- Cast-iron body with chip resistant, powder-coat paint
- Coverage up to 13,500 square feet
- Travels up to 200 feet
- Adjustable aluminum spray arms provide coverage range from 15...
- Automatic shut-off
You bet on the Nelson 13,500 Sq. Ft. Travelling sprinkler for the best lawn sprinkler system that is capable of watering a large area in a short time. As the name implies, this traveling sprinkler is designed to water your garden or lawn similarly to the rain. The sprinkler is made of sturdy iron that is powder-coated with chip-resistant paint, helping it increase its durability while also making it pleasingly appealing.
The Nelson Traveling Sprinkler features a three-speed setting that helps control the distance of spraying and water amount. The arms are also adjustable to your desired angle and curve, subject to the design you want them to spray water. These arms adjustments allow it to throw water up to 55 feet in diameter, plus the sprinkler travels up to 200 ft.
This watering system ensures a precise irrigation pattern. Also, it comes with an automatic shut-off feature, which will help save water and prevent overwatering the lawn. However, it is not recommended for a newly seeded lawn.
4. Dramm Duty Metal Base 9-Pattern Turret Sprinkler
- This turret sprinkler has 9 water patterns, perfect for lawn and...
- Accent your lawn with superior design and function with this...
- Comes with a lifetime guarantee for consumers and is available in...
- Nine water patterns supply a variety of functions
- Heavy-duty metal base
If you are looking for the best lawn sprinkler system that will last you long, we recommend the Dramm Duty Turret Sprinkler with Metal Base and 9-Pattern. This lawn sprinkler comes with nine water patterns making it ideal for garden and lawn care and great for kids. It also comes with a heavy-duty metal base enhancing its durability and weighs 14.4 pounds to help keep it stabilized to remain intact when watering.
Furthermore, it features a molded hook for convenient display and easy storage. With the flexibility of producing a triangular spray or a narrow strip of water, among other patterns, this lawn sprinkler produces just the right amount of water at the turn of the control dial. Also, it features an adjustable dial head that you can rotate to choose between the nine different spray patterns. Therefore, you can water circular spots, long narrow areas, or almost any other spot in the garden or yard without unintentionally watering your neighbor's yard.
The Dramm Duty Turret Sprinkler comes in six cheerful colors. It allows accessing your grass lawn with superior design and function. Also, it features a lifetime guarantee.
Factors to Consider When Choosing the Best Lawn Sprinklers
1. The type of lawn sprinkler
When looking for the best sprinkler, you need to determine the type of lawn sprinkler since the watering needs of an established lawn or a vegetable garden differ from watering needs for a newly seeded lawn. They usually come in six categories, ranging from roaming to immobile. Check out the list of common types of lawn sprinklers:
- Oscillating sprinklers- These types of sprinklers come with a row of multiple sprinkler heads to distribute water in a semicircular spray. The sprinkler head then moves from side to side; therefore, your irrigation covers a larger area than most stationary models.
- Stationary sprinklers- These sprinkler models differ in design and reach; however, they connect to your garden hose and disperse water in the like manner over the same coverage area until moved. They can cover a radius of 5-15 ft at a time. Besides, they are the best garden sprinklers for small yards and compact gardens.
- Rotary or rotating sprinklers and impact sprinklers- These sprinklers rotate 360 degrees as they disperse water. Rotating sprinklers have two or more arms that rotate, while the impact sprinkler (known as a pulsating or impulse sprinkler) emits water from a single jet, clicking as it makes its full rotation. Conversely, these impact sprinklers usually boast the largest range of water distribution.
- In-ground sprinkler systems- These sprinklers usually take the guesswork out of watering the lawn by running on a set schedule. However, there is more effort to set up the system, make trenches for water lines, and link a new ground sprinkler system to the water source; you can program the tactically placed lawn sprinkler heads to emerge from the ground and water the grass lawn at preset times. Besides, the current in-ground sprinkler systems on the market are smart-home capable, allowing you to program the settings through a smart device.
- Sprinkler hoses- These sprinklers are rubber hoses with small holes lined along the top that produce a fine, controlled spray. The flexibility and length of these sprinkler models work fine for watering irregularly curved, narrow, and long lawns because they stretch out over your ground.
- Traveling sprinklers, also referred to as lawn tractors- These traveling sprinklers roll through the lawn yard in a programmed pattern. They usually move like a miniature lawnmower when watering the lawn. Suitable for large lawns
2. Coverage area
When shopping for the best lawn sprinklers, consider the area of coverage. Nowadays, the best sprinklers can adjust the distance and pattern of the water spray, buy adjusting a lever on the side or top of the sprinkler. It allows you to select different watering patterns, including triangular, rectangular, and fan-shaped patterns and small or large circles.
The amount of water pressure in the garden hose usually determines the maximum distance of the water pattern. For instance, a distance-type impact sprinkler or oscillating sprinklers may be advertised as shooting a stream of water up to 30 yards; however, if the water pressure in the hose is low, the coverage area will then be less.
Most residential water systems usually have a pressure between 30 and 60 PSI, and most sprinklers function best with a minimum of 30 PSI of water pressure. Nonetheless, a few require higher PSI to reach their coverage area as advertised.
It is important to consider the material when looking for the best sprinkler system to determine its durability. Metal and plastic are usually the most popular material types used in constructing lawn sprinklers; however, rubber and silicone can still be found in some models. In addition, the material quality usually varies, with some plastic types being durable and fade-resistant. At the same time, other less expensive models may be fade quickly and become brittle easily in a season or two.
Conversely, metal sprinklers are usually more durable than plastic though the quality still varies. Stainless steel and rustproof chrome are among the best metal materials for sprinklers.
4. Settings and features
Consider the settings and features when looking for the best sprinklers. Usually, most sprinklers contain settings such as rotating sprinkler heads and automatic timers that allow you to set time and adjust the sprinkler's water pressure, spray pattern, and coverage. If you are looking for the best oscillating lawn sprinkler, consider the Melnor Turbo Oscillating Sprinkler, 65074-AMZ. This lawn sprinkler comes with a control dial that offers greater adjustability giving the water changes more precision.
5. Water conservation
The best garden sprinkler should conserve water since watering the lawn might consume a good deal of water. Some lawn sprinklers come with features to help control water usage. For instance, on an in-ground sprinkler system, the use of automatic timers allows you to schedule exact watering plans in advance (when and how much water). Besides, for above-ground sprinklers, comparable features to check out include flow timers limiting and monitoring the amount of water used and auto-shutoffs.
Frequently Asked Questions on the Best Lawn Sprinkler System
1. Which lawn sprinkler type is best for a large healthy lawn?
Rotary sprinklers are usually the best sprinkler types for a large lawn since their equal distribution and ability to work efficiently.
2. How does a lawn sprinkler conserve water?
The best sprinklers on the market are usually calibrated and produced to boost the amount of water fed to every unit via the garden hose. Besides, automatic sprinkler systems are more efficient than above-ground sprinklers.
3. When should I start watering my lawn?
We suggest you water your lawn before 10 am. If you notice that your lawn is starting to look a little gray, it is time to turn on the irrigation system.
4. How long should I leave the sprinkler on my lawn?
We recommend you run the sprinkler and determine how long it takes to get a 1/2-inch of water in the can. Usually, it is about 30 minutes. Therefore leaving the sprinkler 20 minutes thrice a week will get an inch of water on your green grass, and 30 minutes thrice per week will get 1 ½" down.