After a long day at work, a good bath is one thing to help you relax, soothe your muscles, and help get a good night's sleep before you do it all over again the following day. Unfortunately, if you live in a noisy area, it may tempt you to take a quick shower rather than soak in the tub longer as you wash away the dirt and stress. But, what if you could mask the eternal noise for better privacy? Here is why you need the best white noise machine for bathroom privacy.
What Is A White Noise Machine?
Image source: Wikipedia.org
Before defining a white noise machine, it is better to understand the term white noise. It refers to the audible noise produced by combining all the frequencies of sound at once, and sounds like static. The frequencies are projected at an equal amount, making white noise the most balanced sound. When you listen to white noise, you cannot fully hear other independent frequencies which make up unwanted noise or annoying sounds, which helps you relax and unwind, especially in the bathroom.
Thus, a white noise machine is a gadget that plays all sound frequencies equally at once to mask out external noises for better relaxation and privacy. By playing all audible sounds across the spectrum at the same frequency and consistency, the machine draws your ears to its sound.
Image source: afresherhome.com
You can use this gadget when you want to soak in the tub longer for meditation and muscle relief or outside the bathroom when you want to mask bathroom sounds. The latter is a good idea for smaller houses or offices with bathrooms near the main spaces.
Before buying white noise machines for bathroom privacy, you will choose between two types of machines; one that plays digitally saved sound patterns or one that produces white noise through airflow. The latter comes with a motor that drives a fan inside the machine, producing white noise when the air hits the fan blades. In addition to the design, you can consider sound quality, size, power source, and more features. Ready to buy one?
Here is our list of the best white noise machines for your bathroom privacy.
1. LectroFan High Fidelity White Noise Machine
- BUY WITH CONFIDENCE: Lectrofan is designed in the USA and backed...
- BEST FAN SOUND AND WHITE NOISE: GENERATOR: Provides ten fan...
- SLEEP BETTER: Helps block disruptive environmental noises so you...
- SAFE: Solid-state design is powered by AC or USB and dynamically...
- PERFECT VOLUME CONTROL: Precise volume control allows you to set...
We chose this as the best white noise machine for bathroom use and privacy for several reasons. Firstly, it is one of the best electromechanical or solid-state design white noise machines; these use a real inbuilt fan to produce consistent fan sounds. Their alternatives are electric machines with pre-recorded looping sounds that do not sound as natural as you'd like.
With the electromechanical design, this LectroFan white noise machine produces 10 fan sounds at different volumes of your choosing. In addition, we loved that you can choose between different color sounds with 10 variations of white, pink, and brown noise.
Image source: Adaptive Sound Technologies
While suggesting a white noise machine for your bathroom privacy, we paid close attention to ease of use and were satisfied by the straightforward buttons on the side you can use to power on, set time, and choose fan and ambient sounds. We also loved the size of this machine; it is big enough to drown out external noises in a big bathroom and also quite portable if you want to use it in your office or hotel bathroom.
The machine comes with a high-quality speaker that distributes the white noise to a larger area, thus making your bathroom time more comfortable. But, unfortunately, you can only use it if you have a power outlet in the bathroom to connect it to.
2. Marpac Dohm Classic White Noise Machine
- THE ORIGINAL SOUND MACHINE: Beloved by millions since 1962, the...
- CUSTOMIZED SOUND EXPERIENCE: With two speed options for...
- UNBEATABLE QUALITY & GUARANTEE: For over 50 years, Yogasleep has...
- SIMPLE TO USE: Powered by an 7-foot 120V AC cord, simply plug in,...
- CLASSIC DESIGN: Featuring a simple design that blends...
We could not make a good list without including the legendary Marpac Dohm classic white noise machine from YogaSleep. This machine has been changing lives since 1962 and only keeps improving. It is another electromechanical sound machine that utilizes an inbuilt fan to make natural non-looping sounds.
We found this machine quite easy to use, a feature you want to consider for your bathroom experience. It is an AC-powered machine, so you need an outlet in or close to your bathroom to power it on. Luckily, it has a 7-foot power cord, so you can bring it closer to you or the door to mask annoying sounds.
Image source: YogaSleep
This bathroom white noise machine has only one button that you use to switch it on or adjust the volume. But then, we loved the rotatable cap and collar that allows you to twist and pick your best white noise and tone. The classic design, including the body materials, is all perfectly compatible with your bathroom setting and even operation with wet hands.
This machine also comes in a compact design, so you can pack it for travel. You can also choose it in your favorite colors: white, grey, black, pink, tan, and camo.
3. SNOOZ White Noise Sound Machine
- Peaceful, non-looping white noise from a real fan (without the...
- Travel friendly, portable design
- Fully adjustable tone & volume (10 settings) for babies, kids,...
- Applications include loud neighbors, city street noise, office...
- Optional SNOOZ companion app includes remote control,...
The Snooz white noise machine is another excellent gadget we found compatible with a bathroom setting. Like the top two machines on our list, the Snooz also uses a real fan inside to generate white noise, luckily without the cold of a bathroom fan. We especially loved that it has a compatible mobile app, the Snooz Companion App, that lets you control the machine remotely.
So, unlike the other two white noise machines above, you only need to find the best placement in your bathroom, turn it on, and control the other settings as you complete your bathroom business. This remote control feature made more sense to us, considering the machine is not battery-powered, so you could place it further from you where you can find a power outlet, then blast the volume settings from your smartphone app.
image source: SNOOZ
Besides mobile app compatibility, this machine will play organic white noise sounds through a powerful speaker surrounding the body. In terms of tones, you can choose up to 10 fan settings through the phone or by manually twisting the cap. It is a compact and portable machine you can bring on your travels or to the office bathroom for better privacy.
4. Big Red Rooster 6 Sound White Noise Machine
- 6 SOOTHING SLEEP SOUNDS – The six white noise machine sounds...
- MASK BACKGROUND NOISES - The white noise sound machine masks...
- OPTIONAL AUTO-OFF TIMER - Leave this soothing noise maker on all...
- PLUG IN OR BATTERY OPERATED - Powered by an AC adapter (included)...
- PORTABLE & COMPACT - The portable, compact design makes this...
Here is one of the biggest reasons we love this white sound machine; you can use it with batteries. So, unlike with other sound machines on our list, you don't have to look for a nearby power source to plug the machine in. And, considering most bathrooms do not have a power source near the tub when you are bathing, this might be the best thing you buy for your self-care routine.
Image source: Big Red Rooster
Additionally, the machine has 6 white noise sounds to choose from, and you can set the timer anywhere between 30-120 minutes and enjoy a tranquil bathroom experience. It also has a memory function, so it will always remember the last settings you played. As such, you can designate it for the bathroom, and all you'll ever need is to power it on, and it plays your best relaxing sounds.
We also love the compact and portable design of this machine. It makes it your best bathroom gadget at home, at a friend's house, or a busy city hotel. You can also carry the machine to the office to mask unwanted bathroom sounds so all your colleagues have comfortable bathroom breaks.
5. Sound+Sleep High Fidelity Machine by Adaptive Sound Technologies
- BUY WITH CONFIDENCE: Designed in the USA and backed by great...
- GUARANTEED NON-LOOPING NATURE SOUNDS: 30 Rich and Immersive Sound...
- ADAPTIVE SOUND TECHNOLOGY: listens to your environment and...
- SLEEP TIMER: Play All Night, or turn on the sleep timer to gently...
- SOPHISTICATED LIGHTING: Front panel lighting automatically turns...
This is another sound machine we love for its different nature sounds, settings, and headphones compatibility. It has some of the most diverse sounds that mask external noises, including white noise, ocean waves, meadow, fireplace, rain, waterfall, brook, and ambient noise. Even better, you can connect your headphones to listen directly, thus blocking out all unwanted noises as you soak in the tub.
Image source: Adaptive Sound Technologies
When not using headphones, this machine also listens to your surrounding environment and adjusts its sound profiles and volumes to mask the noise. As such, you can set it up near the bathroom to mask embarrassing bathroom noises so your guests can have a more comfortable experience.
The Sound+Sleep sound machine also comes with a dimmable night light so it won't distract your relaxing environment and allows you to set timers of up to 120 minutes. But, unfortunately, it comes at quite a high price and is a bit bulky for carrying along on your travels.
6. HoMedics White Noise Sound Machine
- 6 Soothing Sounds: Choose from 6 digitally recorded sounds: White...
- Compact & Portable for Travel: The HoMedics Sleep Sound Machine...
- Helps Your Baby Sleep: Add rhythmic nature noises to your...
- Auto-Off Timer: Play sounds continuously or choose from 3...
- What’s in the Box: (1) HoMedics SoundSpa Portable Compact...
This HoMedics white noise machine is ideal for any bathroom; it drowns out external noise and masks annoying bathroom noise, so you and your guests don't have to feel embarrassed when nature calls.
We love that this machine comes with five more soothing sounds besides white noise; all you need to do is press a button to pick one. The nature sounds include thunderstorms, rain, brook, and ocean sounds. When buying a sound machine for the bathroom, we understand how paramount ease of use is.
Image source: HoMedics
Unlike a bathroom fan, you can easily adjust the volume and set a timer to make your self-care experience more enjoyable. However, we did not particularly like the undimmable green light as it could be distracting in meditative baths.
The sound machine is quite portable, so you can bring it to the office or hotel where bathroom periods are not particularly private. However, one main deal breaker is that this machine has to be connected to a power source, so you may want another alternative if you do not have a power outlet in your bathroom.
7. Housbay White Noise Machine
- 【MORE SOUNDS CHOICE THAN OTHERS】 - Features total 31 soothing...
- 【SUPERIOR SOUND QUALITY】- Delivers high-fidelity,...
- 【OPTIONAL AUTO OFF TIMER & ADJUSTABLE VOLUME】- It is easy to...
- 【COMPACT SIZE-TRAVEL FRIENDLY】- Your worries about not...
- 【AESTHETICALLY PLEASING DESIGN】- The wood grain finish looks...
We found this option almost better than most white noise machines on our list in terms of appearance and durability. Right out of the box, you will love the wood grain finish that will truly compliment any bathroom style. In addition, the build makes it durable, especially when used for a long time in a humid bathroom.
Besides aesthetics, we also found it to have better sound quality than other machines. And according to the manufacturer, it leverages a 5W stereo speaker that delivers high-fidelity sounds across your bathroom to mask noise from outside.
Image source: Housbay
As one of the best sound machines money can buy, it has 31 natural sounds, including 7 white noise and 7 fan sounds. It even has the best fetal tones and lullabies, so you can use it when bathing your little one. We also found this machine very easy to use, with 9 buttons for switching on, changing sounds, and adjusting volumes. In addition, you can adjust your timers to up to 120 minutes for distraction-free tub time.
The machine is also portable, thus your best companion in a noisy hotel or office. You just have to ensure you have a power outlet in or near the bathroom since it does not take batteries.
8. AVANTEK White Noise Machine
- 20 SOOTHING SOUNDS: Non-looping sound recordings of high quality;...
- EXCELLENT SOUND QUALITY: The speaker in this machine is...
- PERFECT FOR BABY SLEEPING: This white noise machine with a wide...
- TIMER & MEMORY FUNCTIONS: Supports continuous play and auto-off...
- COMPACT & PORTABLE: Small and lightweight; easily fits into your...
Are you looking for a machine that plays the best white background noises? We found this model from Avantek ideal for a bathroom for two main reasons; it plays a collection of 6 white noises and 6 fan sounds and comes with a powerful upward-facing speaker. It is a good machine to mask unwanted sounds to and fro your bathroom.
Image source: Avantek
The machine is very easy to use, with 6 buttons for power, volume control, and sound section. In addition, we found it easy to set a timer for up to seven hours, making this machine superb for when you need to soak in the tub for many minutes. Finally, the non-looping machine also has a memory feature that restores your previous sounds and volumes, so you can always leave it in the bathroom, sure to continue the sounds from where you left off.
9. Serene Evolution 36 Sound Portable White Noise Machine
- USB RECHARGEABLE - Powered by rechargeable batteries (included)...
- PORTABLE & COMPACT - The portable, compact design makes this...
- OPTIONAL TIMER - Leave this soothing noise maker on all night or...
- FALL ASLEEP FASTER - This miracle noise cancelling sound machine...
- 36 RELAXING SOUNDS - 6 fan sounds, 2 brown noise, 2 pink noise, 2...
Our next bathroom white noise machine is a battery-powered and portable option from Serene Evolution. The machine comes with a USB cord you can use to recharge it for your bathroom use. We especially love that it is designed for use in areas without a power source, and a bathroom is always a good candidate.
Image source: Serene Evolution
This machine is packed with 36 natural sounds to get you relaxed in the bathroom, whether you want to mediate or block noises to and fro. These include fan, white, brown, pink noise, and other nature sounds. In addition, it has a reliable timer so you can choose how long you stay in that serene and noise-free moment, with the highest setting being 120 minutes.
Finally, we love the compact design. It is a small gadget with an upward-facing speaker that you can slide into your daily use bag to use in any bathroom you step into.
10. Peaceful Bathroom Noise Machine
- Plays white noise to block bathroom sounds
- Motion-activated or turn on manually
- Loud, adjustable volume
- 2 minute timer
- Eco-friendly (no more running the sink!)
Tired of running the sink in a public or residential bathroom? This is a good bathroom noise machine to make your experience much better. It is designed to run for about two minutes so you can get the best privacy.
The one feature we really love about this small machine is its motion activation feature, thus making it ideal for a busy bathroom like in an office. While you can still turn it on manually, motion activation keeps it ready for every bathroom guest, where it will play the white noises automatically.
Image source: Peaceful
Though it is a small machine, it packs a powerful speaker that can mask unwanted noises like flushing toilets and more. It has a dial for volume level control, where you can choose between three low, medium, and high levels. Unlike other machines on our list, this one is not ideal for baths since its timer only runs for two minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions About the Best White Noise Machine for Bathroom Use
a) Does a white noise machine work in the bathroom?
A white noise machine works anywhere to mask most noises our ears can hear. So, the machine will work in your bathroom as long as you place it strategically for the goal you want to achieve. For example, you can use it to mask unwanted exterior noises so you can relax in your tub, or you can also use it to prevent your bathroom noises from distracting people in the same building.
b) What are the Benefits of using a white noise machine in the bathroom?
We have all been in many situations where privacy is not an alternative in a bathroom. And, considering how frequently we need to head in there, finding a gadget like a sound machine or a white noise machine is imperative. Here are the main benefits of using a white noise machine in a bathroom:
- It masks embarrassing bathroom noises when you're not alone.
- It masks unwanted noises when you want to unwind in the tub after a long day.
- It produces relaxing sounds, which is always good for your mental health.
c) How do I buy the best white noise machine for my bathroom?
White sound machines are used widely for different settings, but when buying for the bathroom, you need to consider these factors.
- Size. The size of the machine dictates how powerful and effective its speaker is. As such, the size helps you decide how many machines to get depending on the size of your bathroom. If you have a big bathroom, you might consider getting a bulkier sound machine that can mask noise from the hallway and a bathroom window.
- Sound type. When buying a machine for bathroom use, understand the best sounds to mask the level of noise that gets to and fro your bathroom. An effective machine produces high-quality white, brown, and pink noise, and you can also look for extra ambient sounds like ocean waves, fireplace, and rainfall sounds.
- Sound quality. As we explained above, a white noise machine comes in two designs that indicate the type of sound they produce. If you want a wide variety of white noises, you could look for an electric machine with pre-saved digital sound patterns, but these will not sound as natural as those from a fan-fitted machine that produces sound through airflow.
- Power source. Considering how your white noise machine is powered is vital as you buy. There are three types of power options; plug-in machines, rechargeable battery machines, and AA or AAA battery machines. We recommend getting battery-powered machines for your bathroom unless you have a safe power outlet for plugging your device.
- Settings. When buying your machine, look for one with easy-to-use buttons so you can adjust volume, sound, and timer settings. We recommend you also consider one that connects to your smartphone so you can adjust your settings remotely.
- Water-resistance. As a device you want to use in the bathroom, especially for bath times, we advise looking for a machine with some level of water resistance to guarantee durability. Most machines are made with ABS plastic which does not let water in. We also found upward-facing speaker designs better if you accidentally splash water over the machine.
- Portability. The final factor we found imperative to consider is portability. When buying, ask yourself where and when you'd like to use your machine. Remember, you can use most of these white noise machines in other settings, so we recommend using a portable option for versatility.
Featured image source: nytimes.com