If you are tired of working with cords, it is time you cut the cord with your new circular saw. The best cordless circular saw is ideal for flexibility in busy job sites where you don't want to be dragging a power cord with you.
Over the years, cordless circular saws have evolved to be as good as their corded counterparts. You find very little difference between the two types of circular saws when it comes to cutting wood other than you will enjoy little constraints with a cordless model.
This article will share the top best cordless circular saws you can buy now for easier woodworking. Read on to find out the features that set them apart from other models, and also come of the features you should always look for before buying any cordless circular saw.
1. Makita XSR01Z 18V X2 Brushless Cordless Circular Saw
- Powered by two LXT batteries; X2 LXT technology delivers more...
- Makita built electronically controlled BL Motor delivers 5,100...
- The BL Brushless Motor eliminates carbon brushes, enabling the BL...
- Automatic Speed Change technology adjusts cutting speed and...
- X2 LXT technology delivers up to 558 cross-cuts per charge in 2x4...
It is cordless, powerful, and comes with long battery life. This Makita cordless circular saw is powered by two 18V batteries and features an electric brake to stop the 7-1/4-inch blade when you are done cutting.
It is your best buy if you are a professional contractor looking to get more value from a circular saw. This saw is powered by batteries that can be charged using a 36V charger or an 18v charger.
This rear handle saw comes with overload protection, over-charge protection, and over-heat protection. It weighs 8 pounds, which is a little heavy compared to most cordless circular saws. However, the weight helps this particular model helps with balance and control, especially when cutting thick materials.
This Makita comes with a powerful brushless motor that offers 5100 rpm( rotations per minute) for maximum performance while also preserving over 50% battery power. This Makita cordless saw is equipped with automatic speed change technology that lets you control the speed and torque you need for different surfaces.
This cordless tool also allows a 2 9/16-inch 90° cutting angle and a large bevel range options. It also comes with a magnesium base as well as a magnesium blade guard. When not in use, you can secure the tool using the extra-wide hook at the top. Alternatively, you can hang it safely using the rafter hook.
It comes with a rear-mounted handle and motor to make it a worm drive saw. It is a professional-level tool that is also priced a bit higher, and that comes with a three-year warranty.
2. SKIL 20V 6-1/2 Inch Cordless Circular Saw
- CUT THROUGH WOOD WITH EASE - This cordless circular saw is the...
- LONG RUNNING TIME & BATTERY LIFE - The PWR core 20 Lithium...
- FAST AND CLEAN CUTS - Make your cuts fast and accurate with the...
- MORE CONFIDENT CUTS - The saw line visor helps keep the cut...
- QUICK BEVEL ADJUSTMENT - A bevel cutting capacity from 0-50...
If you are looking for the best cordless circular saw for precise wood cutting, this model from Skil is your best buy. Not only does it come with excellent reviews from satisfied pros, but it is also packed with the latest advancements to make your work easy.
It is a cordless model with a 20V 2.0Ah lithium battery. It also comes with a 20V charger. The powerful battery uses the patented PWCore technology to preserve battery life. The battery is also easy to charge and comes with a USB port for fast charging.
The circular saw also comes with a powerful motor that delivers 4500 rotations per minute(rpm). While this is not the highest speed you can find, it is sufficient to help you cut through your most professional wood designs.
The Skil circular saw also comes with a 6.5-inch, ultra-thin carbide-tipped blade with 24 teeth for the best and fast cutting experience. Additionally, it has a bevel capacity of up to 50° so that you won't compromise on angled designs.
When cutting your wood, you will also appreciate this unit's saw line guide, the bright LED light so you can cut it in low-lit areas, and the ergonomic rear handle that also comes with a lock-off lever for safety. The unit is very affordable and comes with a 5-year warranty from Skil.
3. DEWALT Circular Saw, 6-1/2-Inch 20V Max
- 5150 RPM motor of DEWALT circular saw delivers power and speed to...
- High strength and lightweight magnesium shoe of the corded...
- Optimized rubber overmolded comfort grip of the compact circular...
- 0-50 degree bevel capacity allows for aggressive bevel cuts for a...
- 6-1/2-inch carbide-tipped blade for cutting 2 times material at...
Are you looking for power and speed? If so, this Dewalt DCS391B cordless circular saw is your best buy. It comes with one of the most powerful motors delivering 5150 rpm, so you can easily cut through your woodwork.
As a serious carpenter, you rely on the best tools for accuracy, safety, and durability. This Dewalt circular saw comes with a 6.5-inch carbide-tipped framing blade that also works with a 0 to 50° bevel capacity. It also comes with a magnesium shoe to keep it sturdy as you slice through 2 1/8 inch wood.
It is a battery-powered circular saw that uses a 20V lithium-ion battery. The saw also features a rubber over-molded ergonomic grip that fits comfortably in your hand, so you suffer no friction. It is an affordable unit that also comes with a 3-year warranty from Dewalt.
However, it weighs seven pounds, which is a bit heavy and does not come with a battery and charger. It also comes in a plastic housing which is not very sturdy while working.
4. BLACK+DECKER 20V MAX Cordless Circular Saw
- Tool-free circular saw blade change
- Cordless circular saw with pivoting shoe for increased control
- Part of BLACK+DECKER 20V MAX* System metal cutting circular saw
This model is your best cordless circular saw if you'd prefer a small unit. It comes with a 5.5-inch circular blade and weighs 7.5 pounds. While the size is small, the saw itself is more powerful, packed with excellent torque to slice through thick wood with ease.
It is easy to transport and use for extended periods and comes with a tool-free depth adjuster and bevel adjustment with detents at 45° and 90° for angled cuts. It is powered by a 20V 1.5 Ah battery that is included in the package. Also included are the charger and tool, and the whole unit is covered by a 2-year warranty period.
The saw is easy to use, even for beginners. It comes with an easy-grip handle and is compatible with a shoe to make precise bevel cuts. It is reasonably priced with the option to purchase it with a 4.0 Ah battery.
5. MILWAUKEE M18 2630-20 18V Cordless Circular Saw with Magnesium Blade Guard
- ELECTRONIC BRAKES will stop your blade quickly when you’re...
- SOFT GRIP HANDLE provides maximum comfort so you can work with...
- BEVEL AND DEPTH ADJUSTMENT: You can adjust the depth up to 1 1/2"...
- MAGNESIUM GUARDS on the top and bottom of the blade well keep the...
- M18 COMPATIBLE: This cordless circular saw is compatible with...
You will love this saw if you are a professional contractor dealing with applications like plumbing, carpentry, framing, and even finishing. The unit is one of the best lightweight cordless circular saws that offer high torque performance at 35oo rpm.
It comes with a 6.5-inch carbide-tipped 24-tooth blade that uses an electric brake to stop the circulation after you are done cutting. This feature lets you save time, especially when on a clock, as you do not need to worry about any accidents.
It allows different bevel adjustments up to 45°for versatile cuts. Additionally, you can also adjust the maximum cutting depth up to 1.5 inches. The powerful sidewinder circular saw comes with the motor contained in a solid, durable structure and also features a magnesium blade guard to protect the blade.
The cordless unit needs 18V M18 lithium-ion batteries for power. It also features an onboard fuel gauge that displays the remaining battery power, so you know when to charge. The saw comes with a comfortable and ergonomic soft-grip, and it also comes with an Aircraft aluminum shoe to aid accuracy.
While it does not come with the required batteries, this circular saw does come with a 5-year warranty from the manufacturer. The unit also comes with a user manual and is reasonably priced.
How To Buy the Best Cordless Circular Saw
When buying your best circular saw, you need to consider blade size, power output, and more features that we discuss below.
a) Type of motor
You can choose from two types of cordless saw motors for your best cordless circular saw;
- Sidewinder circular saws
- Worm drive circular saws
To differentiate between these two types, you only need to look at the design of the saw. A sidewinder cordless circular saw has its motor on the side. They are usually compact and best for beginners as they are also easier to use.
Additionally, these cordless tools also offer the highest rotation speeds, up to 6000rpm. As such, the saws are better suited for heavy-duty tasks.
A worm drive circular saw, on the other hand, attaches the motor at the back so it can engage the blade through two gears. This design means less energy gets to the blades, often resulting in lower speeds.
b) Power Output
A few years back, we saw corded circular saws as more powerful compared to cordless saws. However, we have welcomed new advancements in the cordless market to ensure cordless models are now just as powerful as corded saws.
Thus, when buying your new cordless circular saw, carefully study the power ratings that are measured in rpm or rotations/revolutions per minute. Most circular saws can offer at least 4000 rpm. As a rule of thumb, a higher rpm shows better cutting power.
However, concerning the type of motor your saw comes with, a higher rpm does not mean a higher torque. All the saws with their motor attached at the back will have a lower rpm, but they will also come with higher torque.
c) Battery and battery life
You will want a strong battery for any cordless saw you buy. It is a power tool that you need running for as long as possible.
You can choose any with a rechargeable battery from 18V and higher. Some models need more power, like the Makita from this list which uses two 18V batteries, thus 36 volts of power. As you will find from most manufacturers, you can use the saw batteries to power other tools like leaf blowers, hedge trimmers, and more.
To preserve battery life, you can look for models with brushless motors which produce less friction. You can understand how best your best cordless circular motor will perform by looking at the efficiency rating that will be between 85 to 90 percent.
A brushed motor will produce more friction, thus gaining a lower efficiency rating and not promoting enough power-saving abilities. Additionally, they will produce more heat because of the friction, which could eventually lead to overheating.
One major shortcoming of choosing a cordless saw over a corded circular saw is the batteries can not provide as much power as electricity does. Thus, these circular saws will come with smaller blades.
When buying the power tools, you need to consider how strong the batteries are so you can pick the proper blade size. Most cordless circular saws come with 6.5-inch blades, while others go lower to 5.5 inches. A few pro tools will feature a 7 1/4 blade diameter.
Safety When Using the Best Cordless Circular Saws
- Before cutting with the cordless saw, the first thing to do is to observe your safety. Make sure to wear your proper safety gear like gloves and safety glasses to prevent dust from flying into your eyes.
- When using your best cordless saws, ensure to install the blade properly. As important, ensure you have the proper blade for the kind of cutting you want to perform.
- Once your correct blade is properly installed, calibrate the cutting depth and the bevel angle for the shapes and materials you want to cut. Also, ensure your retractable blade guards are in place before cutting.
- Observe the model features to operate the tool safely. These include which hand to use; each tool is either blade left or blade right, the location of the trigger, and more. You can also attach an external dust blower for some models to prevent dust from covering your cut line. Once you know what to do, you can safely cut your materials into desired designs.