Best Sprinkler Heads for Watering Small and Large Lawns
For a healthy lawn, you need to water and mow it. However, you need to ensure you don't waste water when doing so. Therefore, you should go for the best sprinkler heads for your plants to ensure the proper water amount and absorption. Besides, a study shows that most homeowners reduce the water bill significantly when they utilize their sprinkler system.
Watering the lawn is easier, especially when you replace your handheld sprayer with two or more sprinkler heads that do the watering for you. Some sprinkler head models even work with controllers for an automatic irrigation system. Additionally, most basic sprinkler head models only need to be connected to a garden hose and have the water turned on, making it easy to water the lawn twice or thrice per week for 20-30 minutes at a time.
Choosing the best lawn sprinkler head will depend on various factors which you need to know before buying. Since you are here, check out our best sprinkler head models and the vital information you need to know before buying one. Keep reading!
What's On This Page?
- 1. Rain Bird Rotor Heads 5000 Series (4 Pack) Rotor Sprinkler Heads
- 2. Orbit 55662 Voyager II Professional Rotor Sprinkler Spray Head
- 3. Rain Bird Professional Pop-Up Sprinkler Head, (1804VAN)
- 4. Rain Bird 25PJDAC Brass Impact Sprinkler
- Why Do You Need the Best Sprinkler Heads?
- Factors to Consider When Buying the Best Lawn Sprinkler Heads
- Frequently Asked Questions on the Best Lawn Sprinkler Heads
1. Rain Bird Rotor Heads 5000 Series (4 Pack) Rotor Sprinkler Heads
- Exclusive triple blade wiper seal for leak resistant use
- Ideal for residential, light commercial, and commercial use
- Rotates from 40 to 360 degrees
- Heavy duty cover for extra durability
- Pressure activated, triple blade, and multi function wiper seal...
You can bet on the Rain Bird 4 Pack Rotor Heads 5000 Series Rotor Sprinkler Heads for the best sprinkler heads that offer consistency and quality in your watering routines. These sprinkler heads from the Rain Bird brand come with a patented triple-blade wiper seal, which offers great leak resistance and service for long. Additionally, they include a rotating 4-inch pop-up height.
The sprinkler heads feature adjustable spray nozzles, allowing settings between 40-360 degrees. If you're looking for a lawn sprinkler head for watering your flowerbeds and lawn with efficient flow control rates that don't cause run-off or pooling and less soil erosion for your yard, this is the best option. Additionally, the sprinkler heads come with a thick, durable casing leakproof and sealed against debris to protect the drive motor.
This sprinkler head model doesn't make any clicking sound. Instead, it operates with a near-silent that won't disturb your morning hours or drive your neighbors crazy. Moreover, this model is excellent for commercial and residential landscaping projects, offering anti-clog heads with a pressure-supported pop-up.
2. Orbit 55662 Voyager II Professional Rotor Sprinkler Spray Head
- Longest spray distance: sprays adjust from a 25- to 52-foot...
- Compatible design: perfect replacement for old, failing, or...
- Area coverage: Ideal for medium to large lawns. 3/4" FPT INLET...
- Bonus nozzles included: customize each sprinkler for equal yard...
- Adjustable coverage: comes with a key to easily adjust spray...
If you're looking for one of the best sprinkler heads for easy operations, we recommend you the Orbit 55662 Voyager II Professional Sprinkler Spray Head. This model comes with a professional yet user-friendly key. So all you need to do is spin the turret to the left until you feel it locks into position, then spin again to the right for starting or finishing the operation. Besides, it is compatible with almost any irrigation system that fails or is old, plus it works for gear-driven rotary sprinklers for big brands.
Furthermore, this unit will work well if you have a small or large lawn and cover the entire field. It provides an easy pattern set up ranging from 40-360 degrees and a simple distance adjustment. For example, if you plan to spray a part of your lawn or want full 360-degree watering, you can adjust the spray head up to 52 ft. from 25 meters. Then, using a flat blade screwdriver, you can rotate it either counterclockwise or clockwise to reduce the angle.
The Orbit 55662 Voyager II Professional Sprinkler Spray Head comes with an enclosed body design to block dirt from entering the system. It also comes with leak-resistant seals and a filter screen for dirty water for eco-friendly watering. Moreover, you have a variety of nozzles to choose from, plus it features a pre-installed three-gallon-a-minute nozzle which you can switch out when needed.
3. Rain Bird Professional Pop-Up Sprinkler Head, (1804VAN)
- #1 commercial-grade irrigation spray head brand in the world
- 4" pop-up height with easily adjustable 0° to 360° pattern...
- Adjustable spray distance from 8' to 15'
- Heavy-duty stainless steel spring assures flush retraction every...
- Patented pressure-activated co-molded wiper seal prevents...
If you're looking for one of the best sprinkler heads that pop up and then retract back into the ground, count on the Rain Bird Professional Pop-Up Sprinkler Head (1804VAN). You can adjust this sprinkler head to a 0-degree spray rotation up to 360 degrees, meaning that it can be stationary without movement or go in a full circle. This feature allows you to water any part of your lawn, even when it is oddly shaped. Moreover, you can change the gap from the spray to 15 ft from 8 ft down.
The Rain Bird 1804VAN Pop-Up Sprinkler comes in 4-inch height. It comes with a stainless steel spring, heavy-duty material, and won't break and ensures flush restoration. Furthermore, the Rain Bird patented its pressure-activated co-molded wiper seals, which prevent leakage and wastage of water. Plus, it lasts a long time.
Lastly, the sprinkler head comes with a tapered pop-up neck, so you don't have to worry about debris or dirt getting into it and clogging it, meaning that every time you use it, you will have the spray pattern you have selected. Moreover, if you're looking for a standard pop-up spray sprinkler, RainBird has you covered with this efficient, fully adjustable model.
4. Rain Bird 25PJDAC Brass Impact Sprinkler
- The #1 best-selling brass impact sprinkler
- Traditional favorite with classic impact sound
- Brass, bronze, and stainless steel construction lasts longer than...
- Easy to install and adjust; full (360°) or part circle (20° to...
- Adjustable deflector flap adjusts spray distance from 20' to 41'...
If you're looking for one of the best sprinkler heads that are durable, we recommend the 25PJDAC Brass Impact Sprinkler Head from Rain Bird Brand. This sprinkler head is made of copper, brass, and stainless steel, making it more long-lasting. When it comes to installation, you will find that it's very easy to install. Adjustments are also easy and quick, plus you can select between a 360-degree coverage or a 20-340 degree part circle.
The 25PJDAC Brass Impact Sprinkler Head comes with a straight-through water flow design perfect for performance in dirty water. Also, it won't get clogged or rust if you get the water from irrigation canals, ponds, or anywhere with high mineral content. Furthermore, it is equipped with a diffuser screw that is handy in splitting up the water into tiny droplets, making watering increasingly even, plus it decreases up to 25% of the radius.
Lastly, the 25PJDAC Brass Impact Sprinkler Head's spray arm is designed to spray more water on your lawn and avoid splashing houses and walkways. It comes with an adjustable deflector flap that adjusts spray distance from 20 inches to a 41-inch radius.
Why Do You Need the Best Sprinkler Heads?
1. Saves time & money
The sprinkler head is an efficient means to water your lawn. By choosing the right lawn sprinkler heads, you can automatically or manually set the timer to water your yard. The use of lawn sprinkler heads also saves money on replacing hoses since exposed hoses get sun kinks and damages, which shorten their life and usually need constant replacement.
2. Attend to your lawn while away
A sprinkler system is easy to install and works on a hands-off approach, meaning you don't have to do all the hard work of watering your lawn. You can install the watering schedule when you've to leave your home for some days.
3. Efficient water use
Sprinkler systems offer you more flow control over your water usage. Besides, most sprinklers feature different smart water-saving functionalities. So, depending on your lawn shape and size, you can choose a model that best fits your needs.
4. Safe to use
You can use some of these spray heads underground, making it safer to use than a standard hose. Garden hoses above the ground raise the risk of tripping pets and children. Also, some sprinklers pop out when in use and then retract under the ground when it is done. Still, you're better off for above-ground sprinklers as you don't have to deal with hose kinks.
Factors to Consider When Buying the Best Lawn Sprinkler Heads
1. The type of sprinkler head
Sprinkler heads come in five common categories:
- Oscillating - have either one or two rows of holes that disperse water in a single direction. The head lies on a base and usually oscillates slowly from one side to another, making a spray pattern of water that saturates the yard.
- Fixed spray or stationary- Comes with a central body and a circular nozzle that disperse water in all directions. The heads don't require to move to operate, although they are not suitable for large yards.
- Impact or impulse - Offers the longest water distribution range; therefore, they are suitable for large lawns.
- Pop-up or in-ground- Offers a customizable area of the range, and you can connect them to sprinkler controllers for automated use. The heads pop up and water the lawn before going back into the ground, where they are out of the way of foot traffic.
- Rotating- Rotate 360 degrees and have two or three rotating arms. Spray water through the rotating arms to saturate the lawn. Besides, some models come with adjustable arms to change the angle of the spray.
2. Ease of installation
When shopping for the sprinkler head models, check whether it is easy to install. For some models like oscillating, stationary, impact, and rotating, you don't need to use much effort since they lie directly on the yard, and you only connect them to a hose. For pop-up spray head models, you require installation; however, once the lines are run, and the head is secure, with ongoing maintenance such as replacing broken heads, this type of sprinkler system lasts the longest.
3. Lawn size
When looking for a sprinkler spray head, consider the lawn size. If you have a small lawn, consider the stationary or pop-up sprinkler head models. If you have a medium lawn, look for oscillating sprinkler, rotating, and pop-up sprinkler head models. Additionally, if you have a large lawn, pop-up and impact sprinkler head models are suitable due to their high water pressure output.
Sprinkler heads are usually made from either plastic, metal, or a combination of both. For metal materials, the unit is highly durable and unlikely to break or crack. However, they are less flexible and more prone to leaking at moving joints. Conversely, plastic materials are usually lightweight and water-resistant and allow rotating sprinklers to rotating freely.
Furthermore, hybrid sprinkler heads combine the durability of metal (for stable spray nozzle and other parts) with the flexibility of plastic for moving parts to facilitate the water flow.
5. Additional features
When looking for a sprinkler head, consider whether it comes with additional features such as adjustable spray nozzles, tripods, timers, lawn spikes, and integrated flow control.
- Adjustable spray nozzles- Usually allow the angle and direction of the water flow to be altered to customize the spray patterns to suit the lawn.
- Tripods and lawn spikes-Usually support the spray heads. Tripods stand between 2 ft and 4 ft apart to raise the range of the sprinkler head. Whereas you drive the lawn spike into the ground, ensuring the sprinkler blow away or won't tip over water pressure.
- Timers-Usually allows the system to run automatically by controlling when the water is turned on and off.
- Integrated flow control-Usually shows the sprinkler frame or a valve on the body that you can use to increase or decrease water flow.
Frequently Asked Questions on the Best Lawn Sprinkler Heads
1. Does the package include screws for adjusting the spray distance?
Some models don't require any adjustment tool. However, other options come with some help to deal with the spray distance or spray pattern.
2. What type of sprinkler covers the most area?
Impact or pulsating models are the most efficient when watering large areas. They are also a great choice for non-square yards.
3. Can I mount sprinkler systems myself?
Luckily, all of our recommendations don't require any complex installation; therefore, you can do it yourself. So when you buy one, go ahead and connect it to your current irrigation hose.
4. Why do I need Sprinkler Systems on my lawn?
A sprinkler system usually greens up your lawn even when you are not around. It also offers you a great lawn care solution without any attention.