The Winter season is very cold, making it impossible to dive into your pool for a swim. During this season, all you can do for your pool is protect it from the weather and other external factors such as leaves, twigs, debris, and more. The best winter pool cover protects your pool from any contamination.
There are several reasons you will want to cover your pool during the colder seasons;
- Prevent contamination
- Prevent accidental drowning
- Save money you would have otherwise used for physical and chemical maintenance
A good cover maintains your in-ground pool or above-ground pool in pristine condition for the warmer seasons, preventing algae growth and maintaining a healthy water pH. When you are ready to purchase one for your pool, you can pick any of these 5 winter covers.
1. Blue Wave Bronze Above Ground Heavy-Duty Pool Winter Cover
This Blue Wave winter pool cover is made with a coated rugged Polyethylene scrim that lets it withstand harsh winters. This material is durable and prevents algae growth with its black underside. It comes with heat-sealed seams that maintain a crystal clear swimming pool.
This particular cover is for an 18-feet swimming pool. It measures 22 feet to give you above ground overlap. The Blue Wave covers are available in different sizes and shapes and come with an 8-year warranty.
The cover is easy to install; it comes with a heavy-duty, vinyl-coated cable plus a tightener. The cover is anchored 30-inches apart by rip-proof metal grommets. The cable securely wraps around your above-ground swimming pool to protects it from all external elements, including accidents.
It is ideal for round pools and available at an affordable price.
2. Robelle Winter Round Above-Ground Pool Cover
- Winter pool cover to be used with traditional above ground...
- Solid material will not let water pass through
- Pool Size: 24 Foot Round - Cover Size: 28 Feet (includes overlap...
- Heavy-duty 8 x 8 scrim
- Heavy-duty polyethylene weighs 2.36 oz./yd2
The Robelle Winter pool covers are available in different sizes and colors to serve all pool owners. This model is ideal for round, above-ground swimming pools.
The super cover is made with a strong Polyethylene material with two protective sides. The upper side is treated to withstand harsh environmental features like UV rays and strong winds, while the black bottom side will effectively prevent algae growth.
All the winter pool covers from Robelle allow a 4-foot overlap. Each comes with an all-weather cable and winch for easy installation. The cover has grommets installed every 4 feet on the cover, so it is relatively easy and straightforward to install.
The cover comes with a 10-year warranty from the manufacturer.
3. Pool Mate Heavy-Duty Winter In-ground Pool Covers
- Winter pool cover to be used with in-ground swimming pools -...
- Pool Size: 12 x 24 Foot Rectangle - Cover Size: 17 x 29 Feet...
- Heavy-duty polyethylene material - All seams are heat sealed for...
- Cover should be able to float loosely on the water, consider...
If you have an inground pool, you need the highest-quality pool cover to protect it through winter. This Pool Mate cover is made with a heavy-duty Polyethylene material and has its seams heat-treated to maintain a clean pool.
The durable cover does not let water or other contaminants into your pool water. The cover also comes with two sides; the top is coated to keep external elements away, while the bottom side prevents algae growth.
The winter cover allows a 5-foot overlap, so you can easily install and cover the whole pool perimeter. The cover also has loops for water tubes that you can buy separately. It is available in different sizes and comes with a 10-year warranty.
4. INTEX Round Metal Frame Winter Pool Cover
- Easy-to-use, durable small round pool cover. Dimensions- 15 feet...
- Drain holes at the center of the cover to prevent water...
- Please tighten the cover so that it feels snug and secure around...
The winter weather does not need to worry you when you want to maintain your above-ground swimming pool. This Intex cover allows you to cover-fit your pool with the help of a user-friendly rope.
The cover is ideal for keeping winter elements at bay for a 15 -feet by 10-inches swimming pool. It comes with a small mesh opening at the center, which prevents the accumulation of water that would cause the cover to sag.
When installing this swimming pool cover, it is best to tighten it around the metal frame to stay put during the winter months. It is very affordable, and you can even use it on an inflatable swimming pool if you can find a way to tighten the rope.
5. WaterWarden Inground Pool Safety Cover
- Solid brass anchors recess flush into the pool deck and don't...
- All hardware, including solid brass anchors, hooks, springs with...
- Safety cover system installs on your pool and removes in minutes...
- Generous 2' overlap ensures complete coverage; pool size 16' x...
- Break-strength of over 4,000 lbs.
If you worry about your in-ground pool during a cold winter, this safety cover from WaterWarden is ideal for keeping your pool clean with a balanced water pH.
The mesh safety cover features a 2-ply strap webbing that gives it better strength against strong winter winds. It is double-strapped and triple stitched to make it more durable; it can withstand winter snow weights of up to 4000lbs.
The mesh cover is improved with solid vinyl and is ideal for it only sieves contaminants such as leaves and debris from polluting the water but allows water to seep through to prevent sagging.
The cover comes with solid brass anchors, hooks, installation rods, and other installation tools ready. You only need to do is drill the brass anchors to install the cover. When spring comes, and you can finally resume your swimming season, you can even leave the anchors drilled on the pool deck and ready for the next winter.
This cover is available in different colors, shapes, and pool step configurations. It comes in a storage bag and also a 20-year warranty from the manufacturer.
Factors to Help You Choose the Best Winter Pool Cover
1. Pool size
You need to understand your pool size to get a pool cover that will keep debris, kids, adults, and all other elements away. The best winter pool cover needs to fit your pool properly.
When buying the best pool cover, measure your pool from edge to edge, i.e., L x W dimensions. When you have the correct pool dimensions, choose a winter cover that leaves enough room for the ideal overlay.
Most pool covers provide enough overlay, so it is best to research the exact measurements of the cover. For instance, if your backyard pool measures 16feet X 32 inches, you can pick a cover with a 4-inch overlay that would measure 20feet by 32 inches.
2. Pool shape
When buying your best pool cover, the shape of your pool plays a very significant role in keeping contaminants away. If you have a round pool, it would be best to get a round safety cover. Likewise, if you have a rectangular pool, you should buy a rectangular pool cover.
If your pool sports a freeform shape, the best winter pool cover will need to be rectangular to cover the longest length and the widest width.
3. Types of winter pool covers
There are several types of pool covers you can choose from.
a) Solid vinyl pool covers
When buying the best pool covers, solid woven types are the most standard covers you can find. They feature a tightly woven material that is also laminated to keep all external elements away. They are ideal for protecting your swimming pool from stains, sunlight, and water pH imbalance.
However, since this insulating cover is waterproof, it can collect water at the top that would require a swimming pool pump to remove after the winter months are over.
b) Mesh pool covers
A mesh winter cover is constructed the same way as a solid cover, the only difference being that the material used here is mesh. Even when tightly woven, mesh covers allow in water and only keep coarse debris out of your pool.
This type of winter pool cover is best for you when you want to keep the debris away. However, you will need to spend time vacuuming the pool before you can swim again.
c) Winter pool safety covers
When you anticipate the coldest winter, you need a safety cover to protect your pool and prevent accidents. A safety cover is ideal for inground pools and above-ground pools and requires professional installation around the pool deck.
It uses brass anchors after you drill holes around the pool perimeter to ensure the cover stays in place even when large heaps of snow sit on it. Ideally, a safety cover should carry weights of up to 4000 pounds. They protect your pool from all contaminants and you have less maintenance to do in spring.
Frequently Asked Questions About the Best Winter Pool Covers
a) Why do I need a pool cover during winter?
A winter pool cover protects your swimming pool from contaminants, accidental drownings and helps you save money on maintenance and swimming pool chemicals.
An uncovered pool can breed bacteria, algae, and even insects. A pool cover during cold months will also make your summer fun preparation easy.
b) Can I empty pool water instead of buying a pool cover?
No, this would damage the insides of your pool. Since a pool is finished off with plaster material, emptying the water would cause the plaster to peel and erode when it freezes.
c) How do I install the best winter pool cover?
You can install your pool cover in these simple steps.
- Prepare the pool. Clean all debris like leaves and twigs first. These can clog the skimmer if you leave them in the water for too long. Also, reduce the water to below the skimmer level, so it does not get clogged when the water freezes.
- Balance the chlorine levels. Add your pool chemicals to balance the chlorine and pH levels. Use your swimming pool chemical test kit to ensure the water is balanced; note you can only do this again during spring, so ensure the water won't damage the pool during winter.
- Remove all equipment like pumps, filters, and even the heating systems. Once you cover the pool, these tools will not be required, and you will also not open the pool until winter is over.
- Install the pool cover. If you do not need a professional to install, make sure you spread the overlap evenly on all sides. Then, secure the cover using your thread and grommets. Tighten enough so it can stay put for months.
- Place your wall bags along the pool perimeter to guarantee it stays in place through high-speed winter winds.
- Leave the covered pool until spring when you want to resume swimming.
d) How do I clean the pool cover?
Once the cover is installed, you can run routine maintenance to remove any excess water that gathers at the center. Use a pool pump to suck the water, so it does not get too heavy for the cover to sag and stop being effective. You can also blow leaves, twigs, and debris away so your cover can stand more use.
When spring comes and you want to resume swimming, you can clean your pool cover at home. Spray water with a hose to moisten it, then gently scrub with mild soap to remove all dirt. When done, rinse it with clean water and let it dry out in the sun.