Wrapping square or rectangle-shaped gifts is pretty straightforward; however, wrapping oddly-shaped items can be frustrating. Of course, you can easily place the oddly-shaped item in a box, wrap it, or put it in a custom gift bag. This guide will help us understand how to wrap odd-shaped gifts if you don't have a bag or box to wrap your gifts in.
Why Is Wrapping Gifts Important?
Image Source: giftideaspace.com
Picking the perfect gift for your friends and family is only half the battle; you will need to wrap the gift to transform ordinary gifts into something more presentable. First off, wrapping a gift will positively impact the giver. In most cases, it will show that you put thought into the person you are gifting.
Wrapping gifts also helps the gift look like a real gift. Using colorful gift boxes, bags, ribbons, bows, or wrapping papers will enhance the gift aspect. Again, wrapping gifts will create a surprise effect for the receiver. This will bring anticipation, curiosity, and limitless happiness or excitement to the person you are gifting.
Now that you understand why wrapping gifts is important, let's look at how to wrap odd-shaped gifts.
How To Wrap Odd-Shaped Gifts
Image Source: thespruce.com
As we mentioned above, wrapping oddly shaped gifts can be frustrating. The good news is whether you are wrapping diamond shape gifts, spheres, tennis racquets, guitars, or other gifts, there is a solution. If you are looking to wrap oddly shaped gifts, we have provided four different home DIY methods you could easily do in the comfort of your home.
Method 1: Make a Custom Gift Bag
Image Source: wikihow.com
Making a custom gift bag is one of the most effective and probably the most common methods of wrapping an odd-shaped gift. You could use this method to wrap toys, books, or other gifts. This method has two different ways: you could use a box or make them using wrapping paper.
A) Making A Gift Bag Using A Box For Size
Image Source: Huaprint.com
- The first step is to get a box that is about the shape and size of the custom gift basket you want to make. The good thing is that almost any box will work, so you don't need to stress about it.
- You will then lay the box on enough wrapping paper that you will be using to make the bag. Next, you will need to decide which side will be at the top and be left open.
- You could trim it down with decorative scissors for the top side, or you can fold the edges down for around an inch or two to make a finished border.
- You will then wrap the box with the gift wrapping paper as though you are wrapping a gift. However, you will leave the top open. You could use glue or long-edge tape to hold the edges securely.
- Then you will slide the box out of the wrapping paper. Then you could add more tape at the bottom of the bag, but now from the inside. This will make the pack more secure, especially if it is meant for heavier gifts.
- Then you will need to fold the bag flat to make fold lines.
- Final touches now: you must add the oddly shaped gift to the bag you made, fold it over, and tape it. Then, you could add a bow or a ribbon to finish it. Another part would be to leave the top open and stuff it with tissue paper.
B) Making A Gift Bag Using Just Paper And Glue Or Tape
Image Source: thekrazycouponlady.net
The other method of making the bag is by just using paper and tape or glue without the box. Generally, it is pretty similar to the above method of using a box, except that you will be estimating the size for this one.
- First, you will lay out enough paper to make a bag that will be large enough for your oddly shaped gifts. It would be best if you picked heavy wrapping paper for these bags.
- Then you will estimate the sizes of the areas where you will be making the fold. The bigger, the better.
- To create the bottom part of the bag, fold the lower half up to the middle part of the paper. Again, you could text before gluing to ensure the gift fits into the bag.
- You will then fold the top edge down to about an inch or two to make a finished border, or you could use decorative scissors.
- To finish it up, you could leave the top open after placing the gift inside the box and filling it with tissue paper. The other option would be to fold the top like an envelope and add a gift tag or a big bow.
Method 2: Make a Gift Package
Image Source: thesprucecrafts.com
This is one of the best DIY projects for wrapping oddly shaped gifts or gifts that are not perfectly square. You will need the following to wrap gifts using this method: paper, a hole punch, tape or glue, twine or ribbon, and scissors.
- You will need to cut wrapping paper that is large enough to cover your odd-shaped gift. For example, it would help if you made the wrapping paper about 3 inches bigger than the gift.
- Then you will need to wrap the wrapping paper around your presents.
- Then glue or tape the edges together to make a tube-like opening on both ends.
- You will then flatten the ends of the tube-like openings and cover the edge to over one inch. Then repeat the same on the other edge to cover the gift fully.
- Then you will use the hole punch to punch holes in the folded portion. Finally, you will thread the twine or ribbon through the holes. Then tie it to your desired design.
If you want to wrap oddly shaped gifts that are too complicated, you could use tissue paper, bubble wrap, or a piece of fabric instead of wrapping paper.
Method 3: Using Crepe Paper Streamers
Image Source: makeandtakes.com
If you have odd-shaped gifts that you need to wrap up, you could use a roll of streamers. The amazing bit is that you can pick whatever color you like, and they are readily available in party supply stores or the gift wrap section of most stores. This method works best for gifts with hard surfaces. You will choose the color of the crepe paper based on the event.
To wrap the gift, you will need to hold the steamer against the gift and wrap it several times. You could use tape to provide extra security at the end of the gift.
Method 4: Try Other Creative Ways To Wrap The Gift
A) Use A Blanket Or Tablecloth Over The Gift
Image Source: freepik.com
If you have very big gifts or gifts with some other odd shapes that you don't have enough time to wrap, this is a perfect option. You will only need to cover the gift with a fancy blanket or tablecloth.
B) Put A Big Bow Or A Ribbon On The Gift
Image Source: candigifts.co.uk
The other way is not to wrap oddly shaped gifts but to add a bow or ribbon to them. The option is to make a super big bow and place it on the gift. This will work for super-big presents, like cars or refrigerators.
Tips To Make Gift Wrapping Easy
Image Source: firstforwomen.com
1. Set up a gift-wrapping station.
It's crucial to set aside and prepare an area for wrapping, whether it be a desk that has been cleared of clutter, the dining room table, or a spot on the floor so that everything is ready and waiting in one location.
2. Use sharp scissors.
If you've ever tried to cut a piece of present wrap with a pair of dull scissors, you know how difficult it is to work with the frayed edge that results. Your gift-wrapping process will go much more smoothly if you have a good set of scissors. Sharpening dull scissors blades is another great option.
3. Stick to a color scheme.
When selecting your gift wrap, take into account adopting a unified color scheme. If your present wrapping, ribbons, and other decorations are coordinated, you can swiftly grab each component, knowing it matches. Additionally, everything will appear stunning.
4. Don’t compromise on the tape.
The appropriate tape is one of the most crucial components of gift wrapping. You'll go more slowly if you use cheap tape that is challenging to remove from the dispenser and doesn't adhere well.
Conclusion on How to Wrap Odd-Shaped Gifts
When you are gifting someone, keep in mind that wrapping is necessary. We hope this article was helpful if you have been struggling to wrap oddly shaped gifts. Regardless of your chosen method, you don't need to stress too much about getting a perfect look. It's more likely the receiver will appreciate the gift than the wrapping.
Frequently Asked Questions on How to Wrap Odd-Shaped Gifts
Image Source: eatwell101.com
i. How do you wrap an unevenly shaped gift?
Wrapping odd-shaped gifts does not always need to be frustrating since there are some simple methods you can use, as we have seen above. One of the most effective methods is to wrap oddly shaped gifts using customized gift bags. Ideally, you can make the gift bag using wrapping paper or just regular paper in the shape of your gift. When done, you can place the gift inside.
The second method will be to make a gift package. Just like we have previously mentioned, you will need to wrap oddly shaped gifts with wrapping paper directly without having to create a bag. Another method would be to use crepe paper streamers. With this method, you will only need to wrap the steamer around your gift several times and then secure it with tape. Lastly, you could decorate your gift in creative ways, such as by adding a bow or covering it with an attractive blanket.
ii. How do you wrap an odd-shaped gift without tape?
Image Source: trendhunterstatic.com
Using tape to wrap gifts makes the work much easier, but there are other ways you could still use tape to wrap a gift. Here are some of the ways that you could use them:
a) Using a ribbon, twine, or string
Wrap a ribbon around the gift to keep the wrapping paper in place. Place a length of ribbon on a flat surface. Wrap the gift as usual, but make the folds on the edges crisp so that the paper stays in place while you work.
Place the box in the center of the ribbon, with the top facing down. Fold the ribbon pieces over the box on either side, wrapping them up around each other in the center. Then, wrap the ribbon over the remaining sides. Flip the box over and bring the ribbons together in the center, then tie a bow around them.
b) Use stickers.
Apply stickers along the edges to hold the wrapping in place. Choose at least three holiday or theme-related stickers. Wrap the gift normally, using the stickers to secure the paper in a place where you would use tape. To make the present more attractive and enjoyable, add some more stickers to the top.
c) Use nail polish
To keep the paper in place, apply nail polish to the paper's edges. Use wrapping paper to wrap the item as usual. After that, as you fold up each flap, apply nail polish to the paper's top edge. Hold it in place so the polish can dry for about 2 minutes. Ensure that you use transparent nail polish or polish in the same shade as the wrapping paper if you want it to be invisible.
iii. How do you wrap different-sized gifts together?
To wrap different-sized and shaped gifts together, you will first need to wrap them individually using attractive wrapping paper. After that, you will sort them by size. Then take two ribbons that match and look good together. Form the ribbons into a cross, with all the sides being equal.
Image Source: smockpaper.com
Then place your wrapped gifts at the crossroads of your ribbon, or rather, in the center. Then grab the first ribbon, hold the two ends together, and tie. Ensure that the tie is tight and both sides of the ribbon are showing dots.
After that, you will take the second pair of pieces of ribbon and tie them across like you have done with the first pair. If you wish, you could add a gift tag to make it even more attractive.
iv. How do you disguise a gift as something else?
There are several ways you can disguise a gift as other items. To do this, you can put the gift in a different orientation, or you could play with the size of the gift, i.e., make a big gift appear small or vice versa. Also, you could add other objects with sound inside the actual gift.
A great example of how to do this would be to place books or clothes inside big cereal boxes and wrap them up. Also, you could disguise small items such as money, gift cards, or jewelry inside a tissue box and wrap them up.