Did you know that the USDA estimates that food waste is the largest category of waste dumped in landfills across America? And this food waste begins in the home, and as we pile it in the trash cans, it ends up in the municipal's landfill. As the authorities seek to reduce food wastage across the country, you can also do more to mitigate the damage food waste causes to the environment. For instance, you can use the best countertop compost bin for composting most fresh food scraps in your kitchen.
Kitchen countertop composters have many benefits; the most important could be reducing methane gas emissions when food waste accumulates in landfills. Composting your food scraps can also make the best organic fertilizer for indoor plants and gardens.
Are you looking for a bin to compost your food scraps but unsure where to start? We want to help you by sharing five of the best countertop compost bins we found in the market. But first, here is how a countertop compost bin works.
How Does a Countertop Compost Bin Work?
Image source: bobvilla.com
With the many negative effects of climate change being felt everywhere, it has become imperative for all of us to improve our efforts in caring for our planet. For example, when food scraps accumulate at a landfill with other waste materials, they emit methane gas that, according to the United Nations Environment Programme, pollutes the ozone layer, and its exposure leads to about a million premature deaths annually.
If you have been throwing your food scraps in the bin for municipal collection, you now have a good reason to stop the trend by using a countertop compost bin. This bin is also called a kitchen compost bin and is designed to compost your food scraps to create material that you can later use for good, especially in a garden, as an organic fertilizer.
Image source: RedFactor
Kitchen compost bins provide a balanced environment for decomposing food scraps into compost in a few weeks or months. You use one on any kitchen countertop surface, preferably near where you prepare food for your family. Some materials you can throw into the bin include egg shells, fruit peels, coffee grounds, plant trimmings, tea leaves, vegetable and fruit pulps, and more fresh food scraps.
The compost bins come with filters and well-designed seals for odor control, but you definitely need to keep track of how long you've kept waste in there, so the filters do not get overwhelmed. Generally, the bin will decompose food waste in a month or less, depending on the amount of food waste you store. But of course, the more you add to the bin, the faster the decomposing will happen.
Do these kitchen compost bins feel like a good addition to your kitchen? Here are our best picks you can buy today.
1. Best Overall: OXO Good Grips Easy-Clean Compost Bin
- Unique design keeps bags tucked inside for a neat look
- 1. 75-Gallon/6. 62-Liter capacity perfect for busy kitchens
- Smooth interior makes Bin easy to clean
- Odor-containing and pest-reducing since oxygen can flow through...
- Stay-open lid makes it easy to toss scraps in while you’re...
When looking for a countertop composter, we needed options that are easy to use, smell-proof, clean, and look good on a kitchen counter. This Oxo kitchen compost bin met all our needs. It is a 1.75-gallon compost bin in a cylindrical design which guarantees it does not eat up so much counter space.
If you are a neatnik like us, you need an option that cleans easily, and this composter does just that. I found the smooth interior walls easy to clean, and I could even place them in the dishwasher when I didn't want to get my hands dirty.
Image source: OXO
The compost bin is easy to open with one hand and seals tightly to keep the compost smell locked in. If you have a lot of food scraps to throw in, the bin's lid stays open, making operation easy. We chose the charcoal color for our compost bin, but it is also available in different color options you can choose from.
2. Best Stainless Steel Compost Bin: EPICA Kitchen Compost Bin
- AS FEATURED IN BON APPETIT AND FORBES | THE PERFECTLY SIZED...
- SIMPLE CLEANING PROCESS: The stylish stainless steel bin is...
- CONTROL ODORS NATURALLY: The airtight lid and replaceable...
- DURABLE STAINLESS STEEL CONSTRUCTION TO LAST A LIFETIME: Molded...
- COMES WITH REPLACEABLE CHARCOAL FILTER: The specially designed...
We loved this stainless steel compost bin because, compared to many options in the market, it is one of the most durable. In addition, we loved its space-saving cylindrical design that is compact enough for most kitchen counters.
The kitchen compost bin has a 1.3-gallon capacity to hold a large compost pile. We found it easy to use with an easy-to-open lid. The cover also features ventilation holes that supply enough oxygen to decompose your food waste.
Moreover, the lid seals the waste tightly so no unwanted odors can seep through. In addition, the bin uses a replaceable charcoal filter that traps smells that would otherwise escape through the ventilation holes.
Image source: EPICA
The countertop compost bin is rust-resistant and made with the highest quality stainless steel that will not add toxins to your compost. Unfortunately, we did not fancy the cleaning process that had to be done by hand, not to mention the food fibers that stuck to the walls of the bin.
3. Best Odor-Free Bin: Joseph Joseph Intelligent Waste Compost Bin
- Ventilated design reduces moisture and odors
- Replaceable odor filter in lid
- Easy-access flip-top lid
- Liner-retaining hole inside keeps liner tidy
- Stainless-steel handle with 1 gallon capacity
One of the biggest challenges when composting food waste in the kitchen is keeping odor away. If your compost smells, your kitchen will be unwelcoming and unsanitary. But, if you get this Joseph Joseph compost bin, none of these problems will bother you.
This bin looks small but can carry a week's worth of food waste. But, what we loved the most when testing was its intelligent design that traps unwanted odors. In addition, the bin comes in a well-ventilated design that allows ample air movement, thus keeping moisture low to prevent odors.
Image source: Joseph Joseph
In addition to the ventilation, this countertop compost bin incorporates replaceable filters in the flip-up lid to trap any odors.
I also found that I use this kitchen compost bin with or without a liner. If you choose a liner, we recommend getting compostable bags that you can easily dispose of when your compost is ready. The bin comes with a stainless steel handle, is easy to clean, and is available in three colors.
4. Best Ceramic: Norpro Ceramic Floral Compost Keeper
- Measures: 10" x 7" x 7" / 25.5cm x 18cm x 18cm Capacity: 3QT /...
- Attractive, strong and durable, ceramic compost keeper that will...
- Store peelings, egg shells, coffee grounds, table scraps,...
- Has a sturdy stainless steel handle for easy transport.
- Includes odor preventing filter in lid, which can last up to 6...
We love a compost bin that looks attractive, and this recommendation from Norpro is one you do not want to miss. It is a 1-gallon ceramic countertop compost bin that comes in a cylindrical shape to take the least counter space.
When looking for the best countertop compost bins, we paid attention to how well they prevent compost odors from filling your kitchen. Luckily, this beautiful compost keeper did not disappoint us.
Firstly, it has a rubber seal on the rim that creates a super tight plug when you put the lid on. Still, the compost bin comes in a well-ventilated design with holes on the lid that allow air circulation to prevent moisture.
Image source: Norpro
To prevent odor from escaping through these holes, you will need to use replaceable carbon filters, and we loved that the bin comes with a filter that can last up to six months.
We recommend this kitchen compost bin if you need an effective option that improves your kitchen decor. It has a retro look complete with a sturdy handle and is available in a white and blue floral print.
5. Best Eco-Friendly: Bamboozle Food Compost Bin
- Made of biodegradable, dishwasher safe, and durable bamboo fiber
- Dimensions: 8” x 6.25” x 9”
- Individually packaged in beautiful craft paper boxes
- The replacement carbon filters for the composter can be purchased...
- Lets send less to the landfill - Convert your own organic waste...
Composting your food waste is beneficial to your garden and the environment, and using an eco-friendly food waste caddy such as this one from Bamboozle is even better. The Bamboozle bin is made with biodegradable bamboo fiber, so it is safe to use and won't add toxins to your compost.
Image source: Bamboozle
Measuring 8" x 6.25" x 9", this bin will store a lot of kitchen scraps without emitting any orders, thanks to its charcoal filters. Besides the composting features, we loved this compost bin for its appearance, which complements any kitchen theme. In addition, all parts, including the carbon filters, are dishwasher-safe.
Unfortunately, it is a small countertop compost bin at a relatively high price for its size. We also found it quite delicate, so you want to handle it carefully to prevent the handles or body from breaking.
6. Best Design: BelleMark Kitchen Compost Bin
- 🌱 No Pests or Odors - The Smell-Proof, Rust-Proof 1.6-gallon...
- 🌱 Discreet Attractive Design: Indoor kitchen compost container...
- 🌱 Premium Craftsmanship - Made with sustainable Acacia wood...
- 🌱 Easy to Clean - Because our compost pail is dishwasher safe,...
- 🌱 Satisfaction Assured - We want nothing less than total buyer...
If you want a smell-proof and durable kitchen compost bin, this option from Bellemark has all the features you need. While the composting bin is made of high-quality stainless steel, we absolutely love the exterior, that's made of beautiful acacia wood.
Image source: BelleMark
Its appearance aside, the 1.6-gallon bin has a secure lid that is easy to operate and keeps all smells inside. Additionally, all stainless steel parts are rust-proof and dishwasher-safe. So when cleaning, we only needed to slide the bin out of the wooden box and stuff the washable parts in the dishwasher.
This bin is available in two sizes, and we chose the larger option because it is ideal for any kitchen. You can get this option made with acacia wood or the other option made with bamboo.
Factors to Consider When Buying Your Best Countertop Compost Bin
Countertop compost bins come with different features, making choosing one a daunting task. While testing the best countertop compost bins, we paid attention to one factor we think is most important; keeping odors at bay. So, as you choose your bin, ensure it will contain the unwanted smell that will help you keep insects like fruit flies away. The best compost bins for odor control use carbon filters to combat the stench.
Here are other factors we recommend you consider for your best buy:
We recommend understanding the size of your ideal food waste caddy for three reasons. Firstly, size has to do with how much counter space you have. If you have a small kitchen, you will need a small countertop compost bin that takes the least space.
Secondly, the size also affects how much waste you can store in the bin. So, before you buy, understand how frequently you need to throw kitchen scraps. For example, if you cook for many people, you must look for a larger one as you produce more waste.
You also need to consider the size of your compost bin concerning how often you will be emptying the bin. For example, if you want to compost food waste for your garden, you require a bigger bin to complete the composting process. Alternatively, you can look for a smaller bin if you plan to be dropping off the waste at a community garden.
You must also choose from different materials when buying countertop compost bins. For example, you can opt for ceramic, stainless steel, bamboo, or plastic.
Stainless steel and ceramic countertop compost bins are the most durable. On the other hand, plastic bins are easy to clean, while those made from bamboo fibers are the most eco-friendly.
Since you will place your sturdy compost bin on your kitchen counter, we recommend looking for one whose appearance will mesh with your kitchen theme and decor.
d) Ease of cleaning
Food scraps are not the easiest materials to handle, much less when they start decomposing. So, we advise you to look for a countertop bin that is easy to clean, preferably in the dishwasher. But, if you do not find one that meets this requirement, you can also look for one that you can use with compostable bags.
These biodegradable bags keep most food fibers from sticking to the walls of your compost bucket and are accepted in most community gardens.
How to Use the Countertop Compost Bins
Image source: zerowastemomoirs.com
When you get your best countertop compost bins, it is also important to understand how best to use them to prevent unwanted outcomes like stinky smells of fruit flies and other bugs. Here are some tips on how to use a tabletop composter successfully.
- Keep moisture at a minimum. The biggest cause of food waste odors is moisture, which causes food to decompose prematurely. So, avoid throwing wet foods into your compost bins as it will be hard to contain the smell. In addition, layer your bin with papers or dry leaves when you add new waste to help absorb the moisture and provide carbon for decomposing.
- Keep turning the content to guarantee even decomposing. Since kitchen scraps start decomposing soon after you store them in the bin, turn the contents each time you add new scraps to increase microbial action. You can do so by shaking or rolling your bin, but be careful not to spill the waste. Alternatively, you can also use a small shovel to turn the compost.
- You can hasten the composting journey by chopping the waste and paper of dry leaves into small pieces.