The 4 Best Mini Fridge Reviews – For Your Snacks & Beverages
A mini-fridge is not just useful as a complement in the house but also works well in a garage or office. Furthermore, it is ideal for college students or teens' dorm rooms. Think about having the best mini-fridge in your space where you can stash your beverages, a few hold-you-over snacks and mealtime goodies. Is that not refreshing?
You should know that mini-fridges are not as energy efficient as standard-sized refrigerators, and some don’t sustain a consistent enough temperature for an extended period of food storage. Therefore use them for keeping beverages and fast-consumed items cold.
When choosing the best mini-fridge for your home, dorm, or office, the key is finding the right size, capacity, and features that fit your needs while also staying within budget. There are other considerations that we will look into later on. This article will guide you in purchasing a suitable mini-fridge for your space. Keep reading!
What's On This Page?
- Best Mini Fridge
- Features to Consider When Buying the Best Mini Fridge
- Frequently Asked Questions About Mini Fridges
Best Mini Fridge
1. RCA RFR320 3.2 Cu Ft Compact Mini Fridge
- Your purchase includes One RCA RFR320 Single Door Mini Fridge...
- Fridge dimensions: 17-1/2” W x 18.5/8” D x 31.5/8” H | 84 L...
- Reversible Door makes it easy to fit this in any spot of your...
- Compressor Cooling for ultimate performance even in hot weather
- Adjustable Thermostat and Adjustable lever Feet offers the...
If you are looking for an excellent dorm fridge, you will find everything you need in this RCA RFR320 refrigerator. This mini-fridge comes with a freezer section where you can store things like chocolates or creams and a reversible door that makes it easy to fit in any spot in the dorm rooms without a hassle. Moreover, it has an adjustable thermostat to set the perfect temperature to your desire and adjustable lever feet, which provides the ultimate versatility.
The colour of these models is something worth mentioning. The manufacturer offers eight different colours, which are very attractive to buyers. Nonetheless, the price varies depending on the colour you choose.
Lastly, RCA RFR320 compact mini fridge has a compressor cooling for ultimate performance even in hot weather. Hence you don’t have to worry about your soda; you can still enjoy the refreshing feeling even when it is scorching.
2. The hOmeLabs Beverage Refrigerator and Cooler
- MODERN ELECTRIC BEVERAGE COOLER - This 3.2 cubic feet, free...
- LARGE CAPACITY BEER & WINE CHILLER - Under counter beverage...
- ADVANCED TEMPERATURE CONTROLS - Single zone beverage mini...
- POWERFUL COOLING SYSTEM - Our 120V 240W heavy duty, vertical...
- AUTO DEFROSTING FUNCTION - Beverage cooler is also designed with...
This beverage refrigerator is one of the ideal options when setting up a home bar. It features three moveable and adjustable shelves that can hold up to 120 standard-sized beers or soda cans. It also comes with an elegant and contemporary see-through design and robust stainless steel construction.
This beverage fridge has an easy-touch temperature control that cools down to 34°F, as well as a large digital display for temperature setting and quick monitoring. Moreover, it has a white LED interior that lights for a quick night-time drink selection.
You don’t need to frequently defrost the refrigerator since it is already equipped with an automatic to defrost. It has a quiet compressor that works with a small convection fan to maintain air circulation for a constant temperature supply inside.
Although the cooler is a great additional feature, this beverage fridge manufacturer warns the user against storing fresh foods such as vegetables, fruits, and meats.
3. Midea WHS-65LSS1 Compact Refrigerator
- Mechanical Temperature Adjustment Ranges From -2' to 2' Celsius...
- Large storage areas excellent at chilling beverages and healthy...
- Features adjustable legs and a reversible door that can open from...
- Full 1-year warranty
- External product dimensions: 17,7 x 18,6 x 19,4" note: the...
If you are looking for an affordable mini fridge to keep under your office desk, then look no further than the Midea WHS-65LSS1 compact refrigerator. This refrigerator model comes with a large storage area ideal for chilling beverages and healthy snacks. However, it doesn’t come with additional feature like vegetable crispers. Although it has a tiny freezer, you cannot make ice cubes or store frozen foods.
The Midea WHS-65LSS1 compact refrigerator features adjustable legs and a reversible door that open from left or right. It also features a single adjustable shelf; customers love its performance since it is quiet and quickly cools down anything you put inside.
The mechanical temperature adjustment of this refrigerator ranges from -2’ to 2’ Celsius. Moreover, the price of this mini refrigerator is affordable. At this price, you are sure to afford this fridge and have it in your home, office, dorm or your favourite area in no time. Lastly, you can enjoy a full 1-year warranty from the manufacturer.
4. Danby Designer (DCR044A2BDD) Compact Refrigerator
- 4.4 cu. ft. (126 L) capacity compact fridge
- Energy Star compliant. Environmentally friendly R600a...
- Semi-automatic defrost. Full-width freezer section.
- 2 full width and 1 - 1/2 width adjustable glass shelves....
- Mechanical thermostat.
The Danby Designer compact refrigerator has a 4.4 cubic feet capacity. It is a bit large for small spaces, but it still fits well. This refrigerator model features superior adjustable shelving, tall bottle storage, can holders, ice tray and a freezer. The freezer section runs the entire width of the fridge. Moreover, the door has an egg tray and a slide-out tray under the freezer area.
The Danby Designer DCR044A2BDD also features adjustable glass shelves and a reversible door hinge. Furthermore, the mechanical thermostat control regulates the freezer, and therefore you can make ice cubes or store frozen foods.
You don’t need to frequently defrost the refrigerator since it is already equipped with a semi-automatic to defrost. With only about 32 inches high, you can fit this fridge under large tables if you want to keep it out of sight.
Features to Consider When Buying the Best Mini Fridge
1. Door bins storage
Most mini-fridges can fit a 2-litre bottle, and a few can even hold a 1-gallon jug. They have specialized door bins where drinks are put one on top of the other, horizontally. However, these are not great if you have varying types of drinks or cans of different sizes as they dispense one at a time.
Overall, both designs tend to hold the same amount of cans.
2. Reversible doors
This feature allows you to change the side that the door hinge is on. Always check it before buying the mini-fridge, though. If you have limited space, a reversible door can make a significant difference.
3. Iceboxes and freezer compartments
A standard freezer box and under-the-counter mini-fridges with two doors are the best options for frozen foods. Although they do well with frozen meals that we consume frequently, they are not recommended for long-term storage, which requires lower temperatures.
Single-door fridges can have a half-width or full-length icebox. The full-length iceboxes can store packs of frozen food for a limited period.
Cube fridges sometimes have half-width iceboxes. However, they are not powerful enough to make ice but can store things like chocolates or creams. Moreover, the refrigerator area under or near the icebox is regularly colder, but you can use it to keep cheese, milk, butter or drinks cool.
Mini fridges without iceboxes are the best choice if you already have a standard refrigerator. They usually have a more functional storage area with easier maintenance and lower energy costs. They are a good choice as a beverage cooler as well.
4. Adjustable legs
These adjustable legs allow you to raise or lower the fridge’s corners to balance it on uneven floors. It is a great feature, but you are not assured of finding this on most models on the market.
5. The shelving system of the best mini fridges
Almost all affordable fridges have wire shelves with a few stands to adjust the space for taller objects. Wire shelves are ideal for storing bottles horizontally. Although glass shelves cost more, they are easier to clean and stack items, but also, you have to be careful with them. If you wish for more storage space for cans besides what the door can provide, having two or more adjustable shelves is better.
6. The sizes of the best mini fridges
Consider the size of the fridge both inside and out. Ensure you measure your space carefully so that the refrigerator can fit well. Also, make sure to consider what you will be stored in it. Some mini-fridges have more spacious interiors that can accommodate more oversized items, while others are better suited for drinks and snacks only. Let us look at some of the mini-fridges types;
- Cube-shaped mini fridges: For mini-bars and small dormitories, you can buy a cube-shaped mini-fridge. This type of refrigerator is as tiny as a bedside table and can under your desk. It features 1-2 shelves and has a small storage space. A cube-shaped is multi-functional and works as both coolers and warmers.
- Mid-sized mini-fridges: They are 24-28 inches high and can fit well under an office desk or kitchen counter. The compact size of these refrigerators makes them perfect for storing beverages. They are cube-shaped appliances and not suitable for storing perishable items.
- Under-the-counter mini fridges: These refrigerators are highly space-savvy and can easily fit under the kitchen counter. They are33 inches high and are designed for tiny apartments.
7. Ice-cube tray
Almost all mini-refrigerators don’t come with a freezer. Nevertheless, some may have a freezer compartment that can store vegetables, fruits, drinks and an icebox.
A standard mini fridge usually is very energy-efficient. The Star-certified models use 100-200 watts only. Therefore, if you are willing to save on your electricity bills, ensure you pick a certified and energy-efficient model.
The mini fridge’s weight will matter if you want chilled beverages while travelling. Conversely, a mini-fridge that can hold 6-8 cans of drinks is lightweight, travel-friendly.
There are plenty of sizes and capacity levels of mini-fridges available on the market ranging from 1.6-4 cubic feet. Small cube refrigerators are perfect for storing a few cans, while others are ideal for storing various items like drinks, food, beauty care items and medication. Hence, consider the storage capacity based on the number and types of things you want to store.
Frequently Asked Questions About Mini Fridges
1. Is ventilation essential for a mini-fridge?
Yes, just like standard fridges, a mini-fridge needs proper ventilation. Avoid placing it in a regular cupboard or low-ventilated places because heat builds up around the unit, causing a failure or degraded unit performance.
2. Can you connect a mini fridge into a regular power outlet?
Yes. The mini fridges feature regular-sized electric cords, and you can connect to the regular power outlets.
3. Does food remain cold enough in a mini-fridge?
Yes. Just like standard fridges, mini-fridges are designed to keep foods and beverages cool. Nonetheless, the time that a fridge takes for cooling relies on its brand as well as size. Some fridges offer efficient cooling within 2 hours of powering up, while others may take up to 24 hours to reach their cooling capacity. If your mini fridge doesn’t cool up, ensure it is correctly plugged in, in the upright position, and get the required airflow.
4. Will a mini-fridge cause an increase in the electric bill?
No. operating a mini-fridge will cost you as low as $27. Even the mini-refrigerators with a capacity of 20.6 cubic feet cost not more than $47 annually. Hence, a mini-fridge doesn’t increase electricity bills but rather is energy-efficient.
5. Is it safe to place a mini-fridge on the carpet?
A carpet might lower the airflow of the condenser at the bottom of the fridge. Therefore, it is not recommended to put the mini-fridge on a rug.
RCA RFR320 compact is our best mini-fridge. It comes with a compact design, a freezer compartment, a reversible door that makes it easy to fit in any spot in your room. Moreover, it has an adjustable thermostat to set the perfect temperature to your desire, making it ideal not only for dorms but also for any space.