Owning a swimming pool comes with a big responsibility of ensuring the safety of those who use it. One of the most vital things you can do is ensure the pool water temperature is healthy, neither too warm nor too cold. For this, you need to invest in the best pool thermometer.
Pool thermometers help you keep your water in the recommended temperature ranges of 83° and 88°F. Anything hotter or colder than this can expose you or those using the pool to undesirable health implications such as dehydration or hypothermia.
You can choose different pool thermometers; you can get digital, analog, floating, handheld, or hanging thermometers. Here are the 5 best swimming pool thermometers you can buy today.
1. Ambient Weather WS-14 Wireless 8-Channel Floating Pool and Spa Thermometer
- LCD display
- Eight channel selectable switch
- Thermometer update rate: 60 seconds
- Min/Max Memory for indoor/outdoor temperature
- Monitors temperature in up to 8 remote locations
This Ambient Weather model is your best pool thermometer that comes with an easy-to-read LCD screen. It allows a wireless transmission to its console at least 100 feet away so you can leave your pool heating as you run other house errands.
This thermometer allows you to switch to eight sensors to measure different temperatures, including your indoor temperature. All you need to do is carry the digital console with you, and it will display the different readings.
When you buy this thermometer, you can rest easy knowing it is waterproof, so you can easily float it in the pool without stress. However, you need to take care so it does not get fully submerged in the water, this would lead to premature gasket failure, and the sensor would stop working.
It works with a 433 MHz frequency rate and updates temperatures every 60 seconds. It also requires 4 x AAA Lithium or Alkaline batteries or a backup solar battery. It is easy to use and an affordable pool thermometer.
2. Inkbird IBS-P01R Wireless Pool Thermometer
- 🛀Wireless Pool Thermometer: The maximum connection distance is...
- 🛀Accurate Reading: Support both Fahrenheit and Celsius...
- 🛀Premium quality: The thermometer has adopted high quality...
- 🛀IPX7 Waterproof: The thermometer is ideal for swimming pools,...
- 🛀NOTE: to prevent water ingress, please tighten the cover when...
This Inkbird model is a wireless thermometer designed to float on the pool water and provide accurate readings. It comes with a digital receiver that can provide readings as far as 300 feet on a clear line of sight.
It works in both Fahrenheit and Celcius temperature readings and is waterproof. It sports an IPX7 body making it ideal for an indoor pool and spa use. You can also use it to check temperatures for baby bath water, fish ponds, and aquariums at home.
The digital monitor also supports up to three channels between temperature and humidity. It comes with easy-to-use batteries and an LCD that is easy to read. The unit requires AAA batteries, works with a 433MHz frequency range, and requires 10 seconds to update readings.
3. Pentair Tube Thermometer
- Tube thermometer
- High-quality pool and spa thermometers help deliver accurate...
- Pool thermometers also provide crucial information about the...
- Comes with ABS case and 3-feet cord
- Measures 8-1/4-inch length by 9-3/4-inch height by 8-1/4-inch...
If you are looking for an easy-to-use thermometer, this model from Pentair is your best buy. It is made with a durable ABS plastic body and window glass.
You can fully submerge it in your pool water for the most accurate readings; it comes with a 3-feet cord for easy retrieval and sinking control.
It is an analog thermometer that uses alcohol to show readings. The only challenge with this Pentair thermometer is that you need very good eyesight to read your pool's temperature levels. However, it is an affordable thermometer that won't get damaged by water.
4. GAME Solar Digital Pool & Spa Thermometer Floating
- SOLAR POWERED: The GAME Solar Digital Pool and Spa Thermometer is...
- LARGE, EASY-TO-READ NUMBERS: This floating temperature gauge...
- TEMPERATURES IN FAHRENHEIT OR CELSIUS: Our pool and hot tub...
- TETHER INCLUDED: For easy installation and a secure fit, we’ve...
- PAIRS PERFECTLY WTH OTHER GAME PRODUCTS: Our wireless pool...
This is your best pool thermometer if recharging gadgets or replacing batteries is not your thing. It is powered by the sun, so it does not need batteries for you to use it. It is ideal for you if you are always using the pool, thus needing to measure the temperature more times than most pool owners.
This Game thermometer also comes with a double-sided LCD screen so you can read the temperatures from any angle. The screen also reads big numbers, which are ideal for people with compromised eyesight.
It comes with an easy-to-use blue button that allows you to change your temperature readings from Fahrenheit to Celsius. It is ideal for your home hot tub, swimming pool, spa, and more.
It is a floating thermometer that can sink up to 5-inches into your pool. This height is ideal for reading the accurate temperature of the water beneath the top surface. It also comes with a cord that allows easy retrieval once you are finished with it.
The only challenge with this thermometer is that the LCD screen is made of plastic, allowing it to fog after a short while. Also, the thermometer body is made with plastic which also makes it prone to water damage. However, it is a straightforward thermometer at an affordable price and no hassle when charging; all you need is the sun.
5. Milliard Floating Pool Thermometer
- Thermometer is 7” tall and reads in both F° and C°.
- Includes rope tether to keep the thermometer from floating away.
- Turtle-shaped top adds fun and décor to your pool.
- Made from durable ABS plastic to last from season to season.
- No more guesswork with accurate temperature readings.
This Milliard floating model is ideal for reading your pool water's temperature in a stylish way. It features a beautiful turtle to make this important task more fun; this feature is a great distraction when your little one can't wait to get into the water.
It is made with durable ABS plastic for the body, which keeps water away. Also, the thermometer window is made with glass to prevent it from fogging after using for a while. It measures 7 inches, meaning it can sink a bit further into the swimming pool water for more accurate readings.
The thermometer is ideal for reading temperatures on your swimming pool, hot tub, spa, and even fish ponds and aquariums. It comes with a durable rope tether so you can control how deep underwater or far from you it goes.
Compared to many thermometers, this Milliard model does not contain mercury, and it comes at a very affordable price.
Factors to Consider As You Buy Your Best Pool Thermometers
These are some essential features you should look for in your best pool thermometer.
a) Type of swimming pool thermometer
When buying your best thermometer, you can choose from any of these three types;
- Digital thermometers. They are wireless pool thermometers with two units; one that you float on water and a separate display unit you can use from a distance.
- Analog thermometers. They feature a mercury or alcohol line in a marked tube where you get your instant reading. They can be floating thermometers, while some are good for sinking beneath the water level.
- Handheld thermometers. They use infrared technology to offer a more accurate reading of your water temperature. To use, you simply hold the gadget in your hand and point it near the water to read the temperature range.
b) Battery or power source
The power source is one feature that will guide you to your best type of thermometer. You can find three main types;
- Battery-powered pool thermometers. They use AA or AAA batteries to display temperature readings. In most cases, a battery-powered thermometer is digital and comes with a digital receiver you can use a few feet from the pool. If you decide to buy a pool thermometer that uses batteries, it is best to always have a backup pair in the house and use it carefully to preserve battery life. The batteries are easily replaceable, and you can buy them at your local store.
- Solar-powered pool thermometers. They don't use any batteries. Instead, they come with an in-built solar panel, so you can easily recharge them when you leave them under direct sunlight. These thermometers save you time and money and do not require any battery backup. However, they can be inconveniencing when you forget to charge them or in colder seasons where solar power is not as reliable.
- Analog pool thermometers. These thermometers do not need a power source to read temperatures. Instead, they come with a thermometer that uses alcohol or spirit, just like traditional medical thermometers. In application, the alcohol level either falls or rises to display accurate readings.
When buying your best pool thermometer, it will be ideal to consider the display size and design. It is the most important future of any thermometer as it is the only way you can read temperature readings.
There are two types of displays you can expect from your thermometer;
- LCD screen display. Common in most digital thermometers, it is a small screen that displays big numbers. The screen either reads temperatures in Fahrenheit or Celsius. When buying, you can look at the size of the numbers, opt for bigger if you have troublesome eyesight. Also, opt for a backlit screen so you can read the screen at any time.
- Analog display. Any analog pool thermometer comes with the traditional thermometer display that includes degree readings on a glass or plastic tube. This display requires very strong vision as well as steady hands for you to get accurate temperature readings.
Another feature you need to consider is the construction of the pool thermometer. When buying, look at what materials the thermometer body is made of. Most pool thermometers have a plastic body, so they can easily float or sink.
If made of plastic, ensure it is durable plastic such as ABS plastic. Also, ensure the display is made of glass to prevent it from fogging after several months of use. Additionally, ensure your thermometer comes with a durable tether rope to keep it close while measuring temperature and retrieve it easily from the water.
e) Accurate results
Before you buy the best pool thermometer, understand exactly how it works so you can get the most accurate readings.
If it is a digital thermometer with a digital receiver, ensure you stay within the recommended line of sight for it to read accurately. Also, understand the thermometer's reading frequency and the supported channels, e.g., humidity, air temperature, and water temperature.
If it is an analog thermometer, ensure you can sink it deeper in the water to display the accurate water temperature.
Additionally, you can also read online reviews to see what other users have to say about its accuracy.
Benefits of Using The Best Pool Thermometer
If you want to enjoy a good swim, the best way to do that is by setting the right temperature inside the pool. Water temperature keeps your body in good health while also preventing harmful bacteria from gathering.
The following are the top reasons you need to own the best thermometer for an ideal pool temperature.
- Prevent dehydration in case of hot swimming pool water.
- Prevent your body from cold shock or hypothermia in case of cold swimming pool water.
- Maintain good swimming pool water quality. The chlorine in your swimming pool water kills off harmful bacteria and algae. When the water is too hot, the chlorine molecules are depleted faster, thus promoting a better environment for bacterial conta