The Best Lawn Mower Blade Sharpener in 2021
To achieve a perfect lawn, you need a well-maintained lawn mower and sharp blades. The best lawn mower blade sharpener restores the dull blade edge to its original razor sharp blade and scratches free design.
Blunt blades do not slice grass well, rather they tear it and therefore causing damage. Investing in a good quality blade sharpener for your mower blades is necessary, cheap and a time saver as you do not have to send your blades elsewhere to get sharpened.
Below is a list we have compiled to help you choose the best lawn mower sharpener, a buying guide, and their advantages and disadvantages and they can all be found on amazon com.
The best lawn mower blade sharpener for a lawn mowing business
- Sharpen every knife you own like a pro quickly, easily and with...
- Easily Replaceable Abrasive Grit Belts. Comes with premium...
- Precision sharpening guides provide fast, easy, repeatable and...
- Can also be used to sharpen a wide range of bladed shop tools and...
- 1-year warranty – warranty only valid for North American 110v...
Work Sharp Knife and Tool sharpener is an electric lawn mower blade sharpener that is among the most affordable in the market and the best lawn mower blade sharpener in the market today. It gives you the choice to sharpen every knife quickly and more so mower blades easily like a pro.
It works like a belt sander and to use you just need to run the sanding belt over the belt. It can be used for both lawn mower blade sharpening and knives by both professionals and beginners.
This tool has an easy operation process and packs easy to replace three high-quality abrasive grit belts that cannot destroy or burn your steel blade. The belts also make the sharpener very versatile and improve flexibility. This mower blade sharpener comes with 6000 fine, p220 medium, and p80 coarse belts and therefore can achieve different tasks easily.
The granular belt is mostly used for repairing damaged blades, the medium belt is ideal for sharpening a general knife, and the slender belt for quick blade touch-ups, honing serration, and sharpening in general. It also has a diamond and can even sharpen ceramic belts.
Another great feature about this blade sharpener is its precision sharpening guides as it can sharpen your kitchen knives to a 40-degree angle while sharpening your farm mulching blades to a 50-degree angle.
These interchangeable angle guides adjust to different cutting angles. It will sharpen the blades precisely which makes your lawn tools provide you with fast and consistent results over time.
This Work Sharp knife tool sharpener can be used to sharpen several lawn and garden tools like garden pruners, shears, shovels, and scarpers. You can use the bench grinder on any power outlet that provides a 12V. It also comes with a one-year warranty to make sure you extend the life of your cutting tools.
Other great lawn mower blades sharpeners
- ✅VERSATILE – The most versatile sharpener in the market to...
- ✅SUPERIOR SHARPENING PERFORMANCE – As blades vary from...
- ✅DURABLE – All sharpening abrasive materials pass 10,000...
- ✅SAFE & COMFORTABLE USE – Oversized handle allows for use...
- ✅3 YEARS Warranty and Superior After-Sale Service: Sharpal...
Sharpal 103N is a multipurpose sharpener that can be used for a variety of purposes and with quite a few sharpening tools. It is the most versatile sharpener in the market for single bevel blades, wide bevel blades, and other tool edges. It features a tungsten carbide lawn mower blade sharpener that is suitable for any sharpening the edges, even the dull double-beveled tools.
This lawnmower blade sharpener provides superior performance to other sharpeners because of the different sharpening parts. It also includes three preset optimal sharpening angles with one a ceramic one and the other a tungsten carbide bar. The carbide in tungsten to ensure the strength can be used to sharpen pruners and shears. It also boasts of an inbuilt lanyard hole, the massive handle is for an easy grip and the little weight making it user-friendly.
The tool edges it can sharpen include mower blades, knives, axes, hedge shears, scissors, machete, pruners, and any garden tools. It consists of diamond cut blades and therefore making the sharpening process have higher efficiency and be very easy to operate.
Sharpal 103N can be operated with gloves due to the large handling space it comes with and has a durable plastic body. It features an oversized safety guard to ensure any user gets the best out of this sharpener and at the safe time being safe. It can be used with different people like kitchen enthusiasts, garden and workshop enthusiasts, outdoor and sports enthusiasts. Notably, this model has been tested on a high-quality premium abrasive material 10000 times without any breaking.
- Push blade lawn mower sharpening kit to maintain the cutting...
- Save time and effort when using your manual reel lawn mower by...
- Do-it-yourself sharpening kit that you can use in the comfort of...
- Compound sharpening kit that contains grinding compound,...
- Designed for use with Great States, American Lawn Mower,...
This is a great manual push blade sharpener that you can use to improve and maintain the sharpness of any cutting tool. It is more of a Do It Yourself (DIY) kind of lawn mower blade sharpener that you can use to sharpen your lawn mower blade easily and can use it from the comfort of your home without any external help. It comes with an application brush, a grinding compound, a back lapping crank, and a detailed user guide. All this equipment it features is enough to quickly sharpen your mower blades to achieve the best condition.
American Lawn Mower Company SK-1 products reduce your mowing time relatively and as a result, you do not get that tired and have time to do other things. It is durably constructed and lasts for a long time and offers a competitive price tag giving you value for your money. To use it, remove one wheel and pull off the gear. Then slide the pawl out laying them on a flat surface the way they came out and repeat the steps for the other side. These steps make the reel turn in reverse when pushing which is what it needs to do when the compound is on to sharpen it.
It is made in the USA and designed specifically to be used with American Lawn Mower, Great States, and Scott's Reel Mowers.
- Quickly sharpens dull lawnmower blade with just a few easy pulls
- Durable head for easier sharpening
- Oversized handle allows for use with gloves
- Large safety guard; Cleaning brush, with wire bristles, stores in...
- Replaceable carbide blade; Abrasive: Premium Carbides; Grit:...
Smith 50603 is a hand-held lawnmower blade sharpener tool that provides you with good service and leaves your mower in great condition. It does not include a motor and even though it is a manual sharper, your lawnmower blades can be easily sharpened.
It uses a preset carbide blade material to put a smooth sharpness on your blade in a short duration. The ergonomic design features a large size handle, a durable plastic head that is grip-friendly making it easy for you when you are working.
The large handle can be worn with gloves because of its size. The plastic head also has a finger guard that offers safe and secure sharpening when you use the sharpener preventing any risk of injuries whether for lawn mowing.
Another great feature of Smith s 50603 blade sharpener is that it comes with a wire-bristled cleaning brush that is placed conveniently on the sharpener's handle for proper cleaning.
Besides, the color is attractive to the eye and it does not easily attract dust when sharpening your blade. To use it, pull the sharpening blade through the opening and the carbide blade material will return the sharpness and therefore sharpening your lawnmower blades.
Smith 50603 mower blade sharpener is the best lawn mower blade to gift any father figure in your life and it is very easy to assemble. It is ideal for users who prefer precision over speed.
How to use a lawn mower blade sharpener
1. Remove your lawnmower blade by detaching the wire from the spark plug for your power drill and for cordless lawn mower, disconnect the battery. By doing this, you avoid the possibility of the engine accidentally starting while you are sharpening the lawn mower blade.
You should also drain the tank to prevent any spillage from happening when you remove the mower blade. Tie to the back or use tape to avoid it falling back into connection with the plug.
2. Tip the lawn mower on its side keeping the carburetor and air filter side up as this prevents any oil or gas from soaking into the air filter. When you keep the sides up, you will avoid getting a cloud of smoke caused by the leaking oil the next time you are using it.
3. Mark your mower blade before you remove it for you to know which side was up when reinstalling it. You must return the blade in the same way it was before
4. Remove the mower blade by wedging a short 2by4 in between the blade and the mowing deck and this is to keep the blade from turning. After removing the blade, loosen the nut or bolt with a wrench and socket.
After you remove the blade, clean the underside of the deck removing any stuck leaves, or mud. Clean the blade on both sides by spraying a penetrating oil then polishing it with a bristle brush.
5. Clamp the lawn mower blade in a vise at an angle with one of its cutting edges facing up
6. To start with put some safety glasses and then chuck the sharpening stone into the power drill. Squeeze the trigger to be able to run the power drill and ensure that the guide's flat surface is against the rear of the blade and the dull edge is facing the beveled side of the stone.
The plastic guide part is responsible for guiding you and keeping your cutting tool on track. Start at the end of the blade heading to the innermost part of the blade. Use the stone on the cutting edge back and forth applying moderate pressure.
After a few strokes, stop to check how sharp the blade has become and if the blade still has nicks, repeat the strokes. When the sharpness is to your satisfaction, remove the blade and sharpen the opposite edge.
7. After sharpening the blade on both sides, balance the blade. It allows you to confirm that both sides of your lawn mower blades are even in terms of the amount of metal that has been taken off.
When you need to sharpen a blade, you can remove more metal from the end than the other making the blade unbalanced, and therefore it is crucial to balance your blade. Using an unbalanced blade will cause excess wobbling and as a result, damage the motor.
If the two sides are balanced, the blade will level, and if not, one side will tilt to the other indicating one side is heavier. Sharpen the heavier side a little bit more to attain balance and once you achieve it, but the blade back on the lawn mower.
8. Once you have sharpened and balanced the blade, reinstall it back to the mower back to its original position and tighten up the nuts or bolts. Reattach the ignition wire or the battery for the cordless lawn mower, refill the gas and use your sharp mower.
Considerations for buying lawn mower blade sharpeners
The best speed of your blade grinder is determined by the edge you are sharpening and a good sharpener should sharpen the blades in the least possible time.
In other words, your speed should be specific to the tool you are sharpening. Excess speed is not the best according to which edge you are working on as it can cause overheating and result in damage to the blades and cause injuries. It is recommended that you use moderate speed.
2. Quality and design
Quality is a constant factor before purchasing any products and it is the same for lawn mower blade sharpeners. High-quality material of blade sharpeners is the best as a low-quality blade sharpener becomes unstable quickly.
However, it is important to note that the price of a sharpener does not mean it's the best quality. Ensure you check the quality of your sharpener to get the best value for your money.
The lawn mower sharpener should be durable enough and long-lasting because it plays the role of improving the blade's life.
Mostly durable sharpeners are made of carbide and you can check the sharpeners that offer a warranty as they last for a long time. A good sharpener should be able to last you for several years.
The model of lawn mower blade sharpener should be able to offer you safety from either friction or sparks to be able to avoid any injuries. A safety mistake can result in a lot of unnecessary costs and serious consequences.
5. Versatility and usability
The best blade sharpener should be easy to use and compatible with various lawn mower blades as this will give you value for money.
It is also important for you to choose a blade sharpener that has a secure attachment procedure but more importantly one that works for your situation.
Also, you should ensure that your sharpener is perfect for your dominant hand. Check whether it can be used by a right-handed user, left-handed or it can be used for any dominant hand.
If it perfect for one hand, choose the best sharpener that can work well with your left and right hands to ensure ease and safety. A good lawn mower blade sharpener should not use so much effort, time but at the same time giving you the best efficiency.
6. Power Type
There are both electric and manual blade sharpeners for your lawn mower in the market. Manual ones have a more affordable price than the electric ones but they require a lot of labor when it comes to sharpening the blades.
Alternatively, electric blade sharpeners easily and quickly sharpen the blades and with less hustle.
7. Guide Material
A guide controls the angle of sharpening and is designed to ensure you sharpen the blade at the correct angle without the angle shifting. Most guides in the market are made of plastic and plastic may break when it falls.
Make sure before you purchase you check if the plastic guide arm is durable and made of a good solid. Also, remember to confirm the model is not prone to melting and overheating as, during sharpening blades, the plastic may melt, heat up, or produce smoke.
You can minimize the possibility of melting by sharpening blades carefully and avoiding too much force when sharpening.
The warranty gives you peace of mind in case anything goes wrong sooner than you expect. Some mower blade edge sharpeners come with a warranty and others do not.
Also, a few brands have a return policy where you can return the product if you are not satisfied with it for a good reason. For most people since lawn mower blade sharpeners are not that expensive, a warranty is not a big consideration hence coming last on our list.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQS)
1. What is the best lawn mower blade sharpener?
From our list, the best lawn mower blade sharpener is the Work Sharp Knife sharpening tools. This is because it one of the fastest sharpeners in the market and the quality edge is smooth and holds for a long. Also, a bonus is that the belt sharpening comes in a pocket.
2. Is it worth sharpening lawn mower blades?
Yes, it is worth it. Dull blades usually rip the grass and leave torn tips on individual grass blade ends and as a result, they turn brown becoming more vulnerable to pests and diseases.
3. Will Home Depot sharpen the lawn mower blade?
No, Home Depot does not, rather it sells new for you to install for yourself easily.
4. Does Ace Hardware sharpen mower blades?
Yes, Ace Hardware's profile offers blade sharpening services at several of their locations. You should check with any of their stores whether there is a need to sharpen the blade before buying replacement blades.