People are always on the look for the best way to enhance the safety and security of their property at night to prevent thieves from stealing. Outdoor lights are a great option, although leaving them on for the whole night can be a bit costly.
This is the reason why motion sensor lights are essential. A motion sensor light is an outdoor security light that only turns on when they detect the movement of either a person or an animal.
Which sensor is best for motion detection?
Installing outdoor security lights with motion sensors will help scare a thief away before they even get in your house. Furthermore, they will help illuminate your outdoor space when you're out at night to prevent injuries.
With the significant number of benefits these outdoor motion sensor motion lights have, you will definitely want to try them out. If you're in search of motion-sensing lights for outdoor illumination, you might feel overwhelmed with the massive number of options.
To help you make the right decision on which one to buy, we have a list of the five best outdoor motion sensor lights and things to consider before purchasing an outdoor sensor light.
5 Best Outdoor Motion Sensor Lights
1. Aootek 182 Led Solar Outdoor Motion Sensor Lights - Best Overall
- 1.Three Optional Modes 1.security mode(Motion sensor turns the...
- 2.Sensitive PIR Motion Inductor: With upgraded Motion Sensor...
- 3.Ultra Bright Lights: High-efficient LED lights with wide-angle...
- 4.High Efficient Solar Panel Our solar Panel is more energy...
- 5.Waterproof IP65 and Heatproof Great outdoor security night...
If you're having concerns about the safety of your home or yard, then you should consider getting this LED security light to enhance your home security. The AOOTEK motion detector light is the best motion sensor security light that features three optional modes: security mode, permanent on all night, and smart brightness control mode.
This outdoor lighting also comes with an upgraded motion sensor detector and a more incredible PIR sensor, which easily detects motion up to 26 feet. It uses a 2200 mAh rechargeable battery which offers excellent usage and efficiency.
The solar lights use high-quality LED lights and a wide-angle for illumination. The energy efficiency of this light fixture is unmatched and comes with a PET lamination that makes it durable and long-lasting. It is also waterproof and heatproof, so you don't have to worry about climate changes.
2. Beams MB392, Weatherproof Wireless Battery Power - Best Battery Powered
- Ultra bright LED's with minimum power consumption, 400 lumens....
- Motion sensor turns LED spotlight on and off automatically,...
- Perfect outdoor Lighting in any climate. This dual LED spotlight...
- Simple wireless installation in minutes, no need to hire an...
- Each LED light provides 400 square feet of coverage, battery...
Mr. Beams wireless spotlight boasts decent illumination abilities and great features that make it one of the best outdoor motion sensor lights in the market today. The lights are battery-powered, and each of them generates about 400 lumens of light intensity.
They automatically turn on and off and gives a bright light when they detect movement. They are available in brown and white color options. Each light has a compact sizing that helps illuminate up to 400 square feet of coverage.
Installation is straightforward as they are wireless, and there is no need to hire an electrician. Made with weather-resistant and durable materials that can withstand any climate change.
Since these Mr. Beams lights need batteries and they are not included in the package, you might need to purchase batteries. If you need to adjust the light path, the bottom of the lights can be swiveled for adjustments.
3. BAXIA TECHNOLOGY BX-SL-101 Solar Outdoor - Best Solar Powered
- [PIR Motion Lights and No Dim Mode]- Designed with No dim mode to...
- [28 LED Ultra-Bright Solar Powered Lights]-There are 28 powerful...
- [High Efficiency and Eco-Friendly]- By exposure to sunlight for...
- [Waterproof IP65 and Durable]- The solar outdoor lights is water...
Baxia’s Technology outdoor light is a perfect light for paths because they come in a pack of four. You can set them high up on the wall to allow you to light a path at regular intervals for full light coverage.
For the reason that they are solar-powered, they may need around 8 hours of exposure to sunlight in the day for the solar panel to work as a motion detector at night. These lights use Integrated Passive Infrared (PIR) sensor spots heat sources like a warm body to detect movement so they won't be triggered by falling leaves.
There are 28 powerful LEDs with a motion angle of 120 degrees to ensure excellent illumination and motion detection. It has a durable construction with a lampshade covering the LEDs to ensure it stays effective for longer.
No fussy wiring is required making it easy to install the security lighting. These lights are also water-resistant and can weatherproof such that they can withstand any climate changes.
4. LEPOWER 35W LED Motion Sensor Light Outdoor - Best Electric Powered
- Comfortable executive chair upholstered in black polyurethane...
- Padded seat, back and armrests for all day comfort and support;...
- Pneumatic Seat Height adjustment and tilt lock; 360 degree...
- BIFMA Certified; Supports up to 275 pounds
- Chair Dimensions: 29.1 x 26.2 x 41.7-45.5 inches (LxWxH);...
The LEPOWER LED motion sensor security light comes in 3 security light heads and a motion sensor head to adjust to a different angle as per your requirements. It has a power rating of 35-watts.
It features a motion-activated sensor that gives you a 180 degrees angle and 72 feet away in the depth of sensing and detecting range. They boast a 1,600 lumens luminosity and a 5,500K of excellent brightness that can go as high as 6,600K.
As one of the best motion sensor lights, this light gives you up to about 50,000 hours of service, which is about six years of service. It features durable construction and high-quality LED light from Samsung Company.
When not in use, the dimming modes will help dim the motion sensor light. These outdoor security lights are made of high-quality waterproof material, and the internal parts are made from high-grade aluminum, so you're assured of the durability of this motion sensor lighting.
The light fixture comes with a 20 feet long cable to ensure a good distancing from the power source to the outdoor light. The best part is they have a 60 days money-back guarantee and also a 1-year warranty.
5. URPOWER Solar Lights Outdoor Security Flood Lights - Budget Option
- UNIQUE DESIGN: We designed the internal circuit diagram of the...
- SUPER BRIGHT&LONG WORKING TIME: Compared with other common 4 or...
- WEATHER RESISTANCE: IP64 waterproof and heatproof, solar powered...
- AUTOMATED SWITCH: Turn on at night when motion sensor detected ,...
- Energy Saving: The solar panel absorbs sunlight during the day to...
The URPOWER motion-sensor lights is a solar-powered floodlight used for safety purposes. It is not only an affordable motion-activated outdoor light but also environmentally friendly. It comes in a pack of four floodlights that allows you to improve the safety of your home.
The installation of these LED lights is quite simple and can be done in minutes without the need for an electrician. It requires a direct sunlight charge of about four to six hours for effective performance from dusk to dawn.
Once charged, their internal batteries act as a power source to illuminate the yard for about 30 seconds after it detects motion within a distance of ten feet away. The angle range of this outdoor light is 120°.
6. Amico 3-Head LED Security Lights with Motion Sensor
- Excellent Brightness & Energy Saving: LED units output 40W, 4000...
- Quick and Simple Installation: The installation is very easy,...
- Bring Safety to Your Home: Our LED Security lights can turn on...
- IP65 Waterproof: The durable and weatherproof design ensures...
- 3 Mode Control: "Motion Detection" detects track ambient motion...
The Amico package comes with 40W, 4000 lumens, and 5000K brightness LED energy-saving lights that are ideal for your outdoor areas at night. This best motion sensor light kit saves your electricity bills since you get to choose how long the lights remain on; you can even choose to leave them on all night.
The lights are easy to install even for beginners, while the bulbs and motion sensor are protected from elements to prolong durability with a weatherproof design. Depending on which detection settings you choose, the sensor can detect motion as far away as 75 feet, making these your ideal outdoor lights for security and your safety.
7. HMCITY Solar Motion Sensor Lighting
- 1.Enhanced PIR Motion Inductor：Hmcity Solar Lights Outdoor...
- 2.High Efficient Solar Panel:Adopted monocrystalline silicon...
- 3.Wider lighting Angle & Larger Coverage: Equipped with 120 led...
- 4.Durable IP65 Waterproof – The hmcity light is made of the...
- 5.Quality Guaranteed: 12 Month Warranty for the solar sensor...
There's nothing better than solar outdoor lighting, especially when reducing your energy bill. These HMCITY lights are bright enough security lights. They offer three modes; security lights that automatically turn on when they detect motion, all-night light, and smart brightness controls that dim the bulbs without any motion detection.
The outdoor lights also have a very durable build starting with the ABS body that keeps elements out and withstands high temperatures. The adopted monocrystalline silicon solar cells also improve efficiency by converting electricity better than most solar outdoor lighting.
The lights also cover a wide area of up to 30m2, while the 120 LEDs provide the best brightness. The package is easy to install and comes with a 1-year warranty while the lights also meet all industry standards.
8. Lakumu Motion Sensor Outdoor Wall Lanterns
- ????【Super Smart Motion Sensor & Dusk to Dawn Sensor】: our...
- ????【Unique Manual Override Mode】: If you wanna these outdoor...
- ????【Anti-Rust Metal Frame& Thick Seeded Glass】: the outdoor...
- ????【Easy to Install & America Universal E26 Socket】: our...
- ????【Unique Appearance Ideal for Wide Applications】: These...
Have you been looking for the best motion sensor light kit that is also classy? You can get these Lakimu motion sensor outdoor lights that not only match your design expectations but also come with two lighting modes to choose from.
The lights stay on all night but have two options; you can set them to dim without any motion detection, or you can choose to keep them bright all night. The two-pack looks elegant, and even better, durability is guaranteed. The bulbs are enclosed in an anti-rust metal frame with seeded glass panels to keep elements out.
These lights are also easy to install as they are pre-assembled. However, if you find trouble installing them, you can also read an included manual to guide you. They can sense motion from 40-feet away at a 220-degree angle to illuminate your driveway or courtyard perfectly.
What are the Advantages of the Best Motion Sensor Light?
Having the best outdoor motion sensor lights guarantees an added level of security on your compound. The most obvious choice for many property owners is to install a PoE security camera, but a motion sensor light system is equally advantageous. It is excellent to discourage intruders and ideal when you want to navigate your outdoors easily at night. Here are some advantages you will enjoy by installing a motion sensor light.
- They improve security. If you don't have the budget for a PoE security camera, you can improve your compound's security with a motion sensor light system. Additionally, you can also use it even when there is a surveillance system to help with identification in case of an intruder.
- They are easy to use. The best feature about these lights is how they sense motion to light up. As such, motion sensor lights are ideal when you have young children, older people, or people living with disabilities. The lighting system makes it easy for them to navigate outdoors at night.
- They are energy-saving. Another great feature of most outdoor sensor lights is that they don't stay bright throughout unless you manually set them. Without any motion sensed, the lights automatically dim or shut off, which then conserves power.
- The lights are affordable. You can add motion sensor lights to illuminate the most challenging spaces on your compound, and luckily, they are pretty affordable. Most lights come in budget packs of two to six, so with a single purchase, you can install them in various places around your home.
How to Install Your Outdoor Motion Sensor Light
You need automatic night lighting for your compound. A motion sensing outdoor security flood light can prevent burglary, accidents, and in some cases, will even keep wild animals away.
But, once you buy the outdoor motion sensor lights, the following critical steps are placement and installation. Lucky for you, we will provide a detailed guide on installing them by yourself. But, if you do not have the electrical know-how, the best thing would be to get a professional to do the work.
Here are the tools needed for the job:
- A 4-in-1 screwdriver
- A wire cutter or stripper
- A voltage tester
Before we delve into the installation guide, here are a few things to consider as caution before getting to work.
- Place your ladder further from charged lines when working. This way, your body can not touch the lines which would otherwise cause electrocution
- Wear the right gear for electrical work, such as boots with a rubber sole to also prevent electrocution
- If you have aluminum wiring, it is best to get a professional who will know better how to handle the installation. Aluminum wiring requires careful handling and often needs a certified pro to work with it. Not sure if you have aluminum wiring? the cables would be dull gray instead of orange in copper wiring
- Read the installation guide your outdoor motion sensor light came with. Even if you have installed these motion sensor lights before, the process is sometimes different across different brands
With the tools in hand, and after understanding the precautions, follow these steps for a successful installation.
Step 1. Decide on placement
Picking up the right spot for your lights is a vital step. Whichever outdoor motion sensor light design you get, you will need to install it at least 10ft above the ground. In addition, you need to position the lights to detect motion perfectly. For example, you can position the lights to cover busy spots such as the driveways, entry walks, and the back of your house when you want improved visibility.
On the other hand, you can position the outdoor motion sensor lights to illuminate all approaches to your house from the gate. Once you know where to install your lights, you can start the installation process as follows.
Step 2. Shut off electricity from the mains
When working with electricity, you can only guarantee your safety if you have it off. But, in case you are only replacing the LED or incandescent light bulbs coming with the outdoor motion sensor light system, you may not need to shut the power off from the main panel.
Turn off the power at the main panel. It is also ideal to test the wires to ensure the power is off.
- Using the voltage tester, rub one lead against the ground wire. Then rub the other lead against the hot wire( black wire) and the neutral (white) wire.
- If the tester shows a light, you will know the power is still on. In that case, understand the correct circuit to shut off on the main panel.
Step 3. Wire the outdoor lights
You will need to wire the lights the correct way for this third step. As such, read and understand the manufacturer's manual on your package.
- Follow the instruction manual on the correct way to wire the lights.
- When done, install the rubber gasket and run the wires through.
- Then, reconnect the wiring, including the neutral, hot, and ground wires to their connectors.
Step 4. Mount the light fixtures
With the wiring done, you now need to mount the light fixtures into place.
- Connect and screw the light fixtures. Ensure the rubber gasket you run the wires through in step three offers complete sealing between the edges.
- If you doubt the sealing, you can apply a silicone caulk for better results.
Step 5. Aim the motion sensor
If by now you have the ideal field of view you want to be covered, you can go ahead and add the light bulbs. Then, aim them in the direction you want to be illuminated every time.
Note, if you feel that the field of view is too broad, leading to unwanted nuisance trips such as activation by wind and leaves, you can always aim the motion sensor lower. Another pro tip here is positioning the light bulbs furthest from the motion sensors.
Step 6. Set your desired controls
In this step, you can choose your desired settings to control how the best motion sensor lighting works.
You may set the motion detection range to suit your needs. It is best to choose a range that does not cause nuisance trips. If you have set the range to the smallest area possible but still feel the motion detection is off, you can use tape to cover a part of the lens to limit the view.
You can also set the time the light bulbs remain on after you have passed the area. In most motion sensor outdoor lights, the duration is often about a minute to preserve the power. However, you can choose anywhere between a few seconds to 20 minutes.
Features To Consider Before Buying An Outdoor Motion Sensor Light
a) Type of Light
Most of the outdoor motion sensor lights use LED lights, but a few use fluorescent, incandescent, or halogen bulbs. LED light bulbs are great because they produce brilliant, precise illumination that remains cool and uses less energy than other bulbs.
LED lights come with an incredible amount of luminosity, and this will give you an idea of how much surface the lights can cover. The brightness is vital since it helps you light up the area under coverage.
Electric LED lights have more than 1200 lumens of intensity and 5K brightness, while battery LED lights have up to 1000 lumens brightness. The brighter the light is, the wider area it covers.
b) Illumination Period
Different sensor lights have different illumination periods. The illumination period means how long the light will be on before it automatically goes off. Most of these lights come with a set period, for example, 30 seconds, while others can easily be adjusted depending on what you want.
c) Power Options
A motion sensor light can either be electric-powered, battery, or solar-powered. While the electric-powered lights tend to give the brightest light, especially where there is a continuous supply of electricity, the battery and solar-powered ones are easier to install.
d) Mounting And Design Types
While deciding on what motion sensor lights to buy, you should probably consider where you will install them. Different designs might mean different installations. Here are some of the mounting types that are there in the market today;
i. Battery-Powered Lights
These lights are best suited for places that lack electrical wiring. They have different decorative styles which can be mounted anywhere but should not be too high since you may need to reach them to change the batteries.
ii. Wall-Mounted Outdoor Lights
They are designed to function like standard porch lights such that when they are triggered, they will illuminate the same area as a standard porch light.
iii. Under-Eave Mounting
This involves hanging the security light under the roof's overhang. This helps provide a more attractive look that won't interfere with the rest of your home's decor items.
iv. Solar Lights
The best solar lights can be placed in different locations, but you should ensure they are placed where they receive direct sunlight throughout the day. This is because they have photocell charging panels that store energy to work all night long.
e) Motion Detection Range
The detection range varies from one motion sensor outdoor light to another, and you can find these details in the product description sections. It refers to the distance up to which a motion sensor can pick up movement.
Most motion detectors can sense movement from around 20 feet to 100 feet away. Furthermore, the detection angle also matters because it lets you know the range of the detection area.
f) Light Intensity
Lumens measures the intensity of light. Different bulbs tend to have different light intensities. For example, a 60-watt bulb will produce about 800 lumens, while a 100-watt bulb will produce up to 1600 lumens. Most motion sensors have listed the available amount of lumens in the product. So be sure to check that out.
g) Additional Features
You might find some motion sensor lights with additions, which are not a must but can be nice to have. These features include;
i. Adjustable Light Duration
With this feature, you can easily adjust the length of time that the light should be on. It is most common in battery and solar-powered security lights because when the power stays on for a more extended period, it might quickly drain the battery or solar cell.
ii. Adjustable Coverage
Some of these lights come in adjustable heads that allow you to adjust the light to a broad coverage or a narrow beam. In addition, you can easily adjust the multiple motion-sensing lights to cover more than one area.
Power surges can cause the wired motion sensor lights to misbehave, but with the auto-reset feature, the light will automatically reset itself after a power. For lights lacking this option, the alternative would be to power off for a few minutes and turn it back on to reset the lights.
iv. Adjustable Sensitivity
Some lights can be very sensitive and may turn on, for example, when the leaves are blowing. However, this shouldn't be the case, and this is why some motion sensor lights come with adjustable sensitivity. It helps you tweak the sensitivity of the light so that the sensors will detect only strong and stable motions.
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs) On Outdoor Motion Sensor Lights
a) What Are The Best Outdoor Motion Sensor Lights?
The best outdoor motion sensor lights are Aootek 182 Led Solar Outdoor Motion Sensor Lights. This is because this LED security light features three optional modes and comes with an upgraded motion sensor detector and a greater PIR sensor to detect motion easily.
b) How Do I Choose Outdoor Motion Sensor Lights?
You need to consider several factors when choosing an outdoor motion sensor light. They include light intensity, type of light, motion detector range, mounting types, illumination period, availability, prices, and power options.
c) Are Motion Sensor Lights Worth It?
Yes, these sensor lights are an effective way to improve your home security and safety without having to spend a lot of money on an extensive security system.