Sometimes, staying indoors can be dissatisfying, and spending some time outside can be therapeutic and refreshing. Nothing can be more satisfying than time with loved ones outdoors. Whether it's a simple conversation, enjoying a meal, or taking a swim, or just being outdoors.
One of the things that can force you back inside is the weather. Sunburns or rain don't contribute to a relaxing experience. So, the best way to ensure your time outside continues without interruption is with quality outdoor umbrellas.
With hundreds of umbrellas on the market, it can be hard to choose the best.
As such, we've made a detailed review of the best patio umbrellas you can buy.
1. Abba Patio 9Ft Outdoor Patio Umbrella with Push Button Tilt
- Screw-In Pole Design: The 1.5 inch diameter heavy duty Iron pole...
- Reinforced End Screw Design: This feature built on each rib helps...
- Durable Easy Clip System: Now closing and securing the market...
- Easy to use: The easy-to-use crank sytem makes it easy to raise...
- Weather and UV Protected: The 9 ft canopy is outdoor-rated 100%...
The Abba Patio 9ft Outdoor umbrella features a heavy-duty iron pole and steel ribs with a bronze finish powder coat. The coating ensures that you don't have to worry about the metals rusting after exposure to moisture. The pole's screw design is smooth and easy to rotate without applying much strength.
With the reinforced screw ends, the Abba 9ft Outdoor Patio provides a sturdy canopy that will efficiently protect you from rain. The vented canopy allows free airflow making it more stable and wind-resistant. Even if it falls over, the umbrella will not break off upon impact.
Lowering and raising the canopy is easy with the handy crank system. A push-button tilt feature allows you to slant the umbrella to any angle. As such, this 9-foot outdoor umbrella can provide you shade from a convenient position as you relax on your patio or get warm around a firepit.
The 100% polyester canopy can resist rainwater, UV rays from the sun, and color fading, making it a perfect choice for your shading needs.
2. Sunnyglade 9' Patio Umbrella Outdoor Table Umbrella with 8 Sturdy Ribs
- Made of 100% polyester that can be waterproof, long lasting, easy...
- Powder Coated Aluminum Pole(40mm Diameter aluminum pole) and 8...
- 9 feet diameter- Wide enough to your 42" to 54" round, square or...
- Easy crank open function with push button tilt, keeping cool and...
- This Patio Umbrella include Push Button Tilt/Crank. Note:The base...
If you are looking for an umbrella that is perfect for a bright sunny day, the Sunnyglade 9' Umbrella is the ideal choice. The 9-foot diameter of this umbrella can accommodate several people simultaneously. So you and your family can enjoy a sun-free experience while chilling under this market umbrella. The width is suitable for shading a 48 inch round, square or rectangular table.
As the day goes, the sun's position keeps changing, which usually necessitates adjusting your seat placements. However, the Sunnyglade 9' Patio Umbrella allows you to adjust it to block sunshine at any angle using a crank lift and tilt mechanism. So, you can conveniently incline the umbrella to any position and continue enjoying the shade.
While most umbrellas protect you from the sun, they end up cooking you under a build-up of heat. With the Sunnyglade 9' Patio Umbrella, this won't be an issue. The wind vent in this market umbrella serves two functions; allowing airflow and disseminating the heat.
3. Eliteshade Sunbrella 9Ft Market Umbrella Patio Outdoor Table Umbrella
- 100% Non-fading Acrylic Performance Fabric: 100% solution-dyed...
- Sun Protection: High-quality 260 GSM impermeable fabric shows...
- Full Aluminum Umbrella Frame: EliteShade patio umbrella is 20%...
- Crank Open System: EliteShade patio umbrella is easy to open and...
- The patio umbrella base is not included. Search B07VXLFGGW,...
The high-quality Sunbrella fabric can withstand mildew, oil, and water. While typical market umbrellas display a fade of color in a month, the Eliteshade Sunbrella is fadeproof for up to 5 years. Sunbrella fabric is a great option when looking to protect your skin from sun-induced damage.
No one wants an umbrella that keeps falling over even with a slight breeze. The 9-foot Patio umbrella features an aluminum pole with six ribs, which provides stable support. The rust-free powder coating on this metal frame prevents any rust from forming as the umbrella protects you from the elements.
And with the crank lift system, you can open and close the Patio umbrella easily. You won't have to move the entire umbrella around to shield yourself from sunshine. Instead, you can tilt the umbrella from various angles with the push of a button. The strap allows you to close the umbrella when you don't need it open.
4. Blissum 9' Outdoor Aluminium Patio Umbrella with Push Button Tilt and Crank
- 100% POLYESTER FABRIC -- Blissun patio umbrella is made of 100%...
- STURDY ALUMINUM POLE -- Aluminum poles and 8 aluminum ribs for...
- CRANK MECHANISM -- This market umbrella is designed with crank...
- SUN PROTECTION -- This outdoor umbrella with 9 ft. diameter shade...
- MODERN & WIDELY APPLICABLE -- Blissun 9 feet patio umbrella with...
The excellent quality and elegant design of the Blissum Patio Umbrella makes it one of the best patio umbrellas on the market. It comprises a 100% polyester fabric, making it a waterproof, UV resistant, and long-lasting outdoor patio umbrella. This means that you can use it in all types of weather for a refreshing outside experience in the company of your loved ones.
The sturdy aluminum pole with eight ribs provides a light and stable framework for the 9ft umbrella, which can easily shade two pool lounge chairs or a 54" table. So, if you want to enjoy the company of five other individuals under this umbrella, it won't be a problem. This patio umbrella will definitely be a good addition to the backyard landscape in your outdoor space. You can check out the best landscaping ideas for your backyard here.
Additionally, you won't have trouble setting up this umbrella, thanks to its crank lift system. The crank mechanism allows you to pitch up this umbrella fairly quickly. You can also explore multiple inclination angles with the push-button tilt feature to avoid having sunlight on your face.
5. ABCCANOPY 9Ft Patio Umbrella Outdoor Solar Umbrella
- ★ Use day or night,with solar powered lights, no electricity or...
- ★ Convenient crank opens/closes system and handy push button...
- ★ Made with high-quality water- and fade- resistant fabric to...
- ★ Anti rust powder coated Aluminum frame with 8 Aluminum ribs...
- ★ Hassle-free setup and storage with a detachable pole and...
The ABCCANOPY 9Ft Patio Umbrella Outdoor Solar Umbrella features 32 solar-powered LED lights that don't require a power cord or electricity to function. You can use this patio umbrella any time of the day or night, which is very convenient.
The solar panel on top of this umbrella uses rechargeable batteries, and you can turn the solar lights on and off using an ON and OFF switch. You can check the solar panel's plug connection by unscrewing it to ensure it's in good shape before using it.
It's no surprise the ABCCANOPY 9Ft Patio Umbrella is among the best patio umbrellas for your outdoor space. You can use it in various ways on your backyard patio, pool area, garden, deck, or on the beach.
This quality umbrella uses durable fabric that is water, UV, and fade-resistant. So, buying this umbrella is a long time investment since you won't have to replace it for years. It features a detachable pole, which makes it easy to store this patio umbrella.
Factors To Consider When Choosing the Best Patio Umbrella
1. Types of Patio Umbrellas
There are two main types; market and offset umbrellas.
- Market Patio Umbrellas
The most common type is the market patio umbrella. It's the one you usually see at outdoor markets and cafes. It features a straight pole that is centrally placed and is set in a base on the ground. The poles of many market patio umbrellas can fit in the center of the patio table.
- Cantilever Umbrella/ Offset Umbrellas
When you want an umbrella that is not centrally placed, then cantilever umbrellas are the option for you. Their poles are positioned on one side of the umbrella rather than the middle.
As such, most of these umbrellas can provide a pivoting shade that moves side to side or even rotate 360 degrees. This gives a cantilever umbrella the unique advantage over market umbrellas by shading an area without the obstruction of a center pole. That is why cantilever umbrellas are suitable for large outdoor spaces like an outdoor bar.
2. Shape of the Umbrella
The shape of your umbrella rests on factors such as the space you want to shade, the size of furniture you want to shade, and the overall appearance. You want to choose the umbrella shape that will best satisfy your needs.
For instance, if you have a rectangular table and chairs, you want a rectangular umbrella. On another note, in a lounge chair pair set up by the pool, a round pool umbrella could be the best option. Taking a compatible shape will ensure you remain under the shade, even from different angles.
3. Umbrella Size
Patio umbrellas come in different sizes to suit various space needs. While the 9-foot patio umbrella is the most ideal for a six-person patio set, the 10 foot and 11-foot wide patio umbrellas can accommodate up to 8 people on a large dining table.
So, you can choose whichever size is large enough to accommodate your shading requirements. Normally, you want an umbrella that is larger than your sitting area. This will give a wider shield of protection for you and your loved ones as you enjoy your time at the patio table or lounges.
The height of your umbrella also matters. The standard length of a market patio umbrella is 6=8 feet. However, some umbrellas have poles that reach higher lengths. If you live in a windy area, shorter umbrellas could provide more stability.
4. Umbrella Material
Among outdoor-rated textiles, fabrics differ in quality, durability, and price. These factors are vital when searching for the best umbrella for your patio. How your umbrella holds up when subjected to the elements depends on the material used.
You want a thick enough material to block out the sun's UV rays and resist water. There are several fabrics used in patio umbrellas; Sunbrella, polyester, olefin, and acrylic fabrics.
Sunbrella Fabric offers;
- high-quality outdoor fabric
- Fade-resistant and long-lasting color
- variety of solid colors and stripes
Polyester Fabric offers:
- high performance
- mildew, fade, and rot-resistance
- different colors and patterns
Olefin Fabric offers;
- Budget-friendly price
Acrylic Fabric is
- suitable for standard outdoor use
5. Umbrella Pole Material
You could opt for an umbrella with aluminum, steel, or wooden pole. The material you choose informs the strength, weather-resistance, and look of your outdoor umbrella.
- Aluminum Poles - These poles are the best, offering durability and versatility in patio umbrellas. Aluminum is solid and is rust-resistant, making it suitable for outdoor use.
- Steel Poles - Steel is also solid while still being less expensive than aluminum. However, steel is susceptible to rusting after exposure to moisture. Steel poles without an alloy covering will not look new and clean for long. Additionally, steel is heavier than aluminum.
- Wood - Wood umbrellas have the appeal of a classic market umbrella. These umbrellas pair well with wooden patio tables. Tilting wood umbrellas are rare.
6. Type of Lift
Patio umbrellas feature different lift mechanisms for raising and lowering the umbrella. Let's look at them below.
- Push-Up Mechanism - In this type, you grab the collar and push it up and lock it in place with a pin. The collar is the place the canopy ribs come together around the pole.
- Crank Lift - This mechanism is usually at the center of the pole. It works by lifting the umbrella as you turn the crank until the shade is completely open.
- Pully Mechanism - It uses an integrated cord that you pull to open the canopy. This mechanism uses a pin to hold the open umbrella in place.
7. Type of Tilt
Tilt is an essential feature in patio umbrellas because it allows you to angle the shade according to the sun's position. The tilt system in patio umbrellas varies as follows.
- Push-Button Tilt - A button on the upper part of the pole allows you to tilt the shade in two different directions when you push it.
- Crank tilt - This uses the same crank lift used to open the canopy. By turning it further, you can pivot the shade at any angle.
- Collar - this mechanism uses a ring or collar above the crank mechanism, which you twist clockwise to tilt the shade.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the most durable Patio Umbrella?
Eliteshade Sunbrella is quite durable because the Sunbrella fabric has weather, stain, and fade-resistant properties that make it ideal for the outdoors.
2. What is the difference between a market umbrella and a patio umbrella?
Since umbrella designs are standard, there is no difference between a market umbrella and a patio umbrella. Both terms mean the same thing.
3. Is steel or aluminum better for a patio umbrella?
Both steel and aluminum are strong, but aluminum is resistant to rust while steel is not. That makes aluminum poles more suitable than those of steel. Plus, steel is heavier than aluminum.
Finding the best patio umbrella doesn't have to take an eternity. With this guide, you can select the most suitable umbrella for your backyard quickly.
So, keep the considerations in this post in mind and choose a long-lasting and effective patio umbrella.