Power outages are not in your control. They may occur due to technical faults, bad weather conditions, and other such issues. In such a scenario, your best option is to count on a generator that allows you to continue to do your day-to-day tasks without any trouble.
While there are hundreds of companies out there offering power generators, not all of them may be suitable for you as some generators can be very noisy.
To save you from the noisy trouble, we bring you the best quiet generators. In this article, you will find some of the best silent generators on the market that operate under 65 dB and produce little to no noise.
There are many factors that decide the amount of noise a generator will produce. When you understand all the mechanics involved in the running of a generator, you’ll be able to pick the best option for you.
Here’s what you should look into:
Sound In Decibels: Different generators have different decibel ratings. The rule of thumb is simple: higher the decibel rating, noisier would be the generator.
- 50 - 70 decibels: While some companies promise silent generators, you will find it difficult to come across a reliable generator that produces no sound.
Some generators are enclosed in a case and come with additional equipment to suppress the noise but they’re usually not very reliable.
You can instead go for a generator that produces about 50 dBA of sound. This equals to the sound of a running AC or refrigerator.
A generator with 60 decibels of sound will create a noise similar to that of two people talking at a distance of about 20 feet.
70 decibels sound is almost the same as a vacuum cleaner making a humming noise.
- 80 - 100 Decibels: Generators with a sound rating between 80 to 100 decibels are not considered silent.
80 decibels equal to a noisy street.
90 decibels equal to a rotary mower
100 decibels equal to heavy traffic.
Even if it doesn’t sound much on paper, it can be very irritating if you have to constantly bear such noise level. Such generators are noisy but can be used as outdoor units since the noise is not audible at a distance of about twenty feet.
- 110 - 140 Decibels: Yes, some generators produce this much noise:
110: Equals to the sound of a running chainsaw
120: Equals to the sound of a rocking concert
130: Equals to the sound of an operational jet Plane
140: Can lead to pain.
Hence, it is best to pick a generator that produces sound in the range of 50-70 dBa. We have made sure to only include options that fall in this category so you will have no trouble in finding a generator that suits your needs.
Why Should I Find The Best Quiet Generator
This is why it is important to choose the best quiet generator. We have done all the homework for you. Let’s have a look at some of the best quiet generators out there.
Best Quiet Generators: Comparison Table
Portable Generator (Light Duty)
10 hours on 25% load
8 hours at 25% load
10+ hours on 25% load
52 dB - 60 dB
18 hours on 25% load and 6 hours at rated load.
Best Quiet Generator Reviews
1. Yamaha EF2000iSv2 Gas Powered Portable Inverter
- 1600 watt rated AC output, 2000 watt maximum AC output, 13.3/16.7...
- Super-quiet muffler with USFS-approved spark arrestor - 51.5 dBA...
- Smart Throttle varies engine speed based on load - improves fuel...
- Inverter system with Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) control
- CARB Compliant
The EF2000iSv2 is a smart generator that is quiet and capable of adjusting the engine speed as per the load. It’s suitable for indoors and outdoors and can be a perfect choice for RVs as well.
- OHV Engine
- Smart throttle
- CARB compliant.
- Inverter system with PWM control.
- Twin Tech option lets you double the power.
- Molded in a noise absorbing material.
Yamaha EF2000iSv2 comes enclosed in a noise-absorbing body that reduces the noise. In fact, the unit comes with the company's most advanced muffler and spark arrestor. It also has vibration isolation feet made of rubber to reduce sound.
If you keep it in a garage or a basement, chances are that you might not even realize that it’s running.
It produces a sound of 51 dBa at 25% load and 61 dBa when the load reaches 100%. You will face no disturbance even if it runs at full capacity.
The generator offers a running power of 1600W (2000W peak power). If that’s not enough, you can use the Twin Tech feature and connect it to a similar model and increase the watts. This will let you power up heavier appliances without experiencing any fluctuations.
The unit comprises of a large 1.1 gallon fuel tank that will run the generator for up to 10.5 hours ( 25% loud). The generator is also quite effective and can be a lifesaver thanks to the auto-adjusting engine speed feature. It uses a dual coil alternator stator to reduce fuel consumption making the generator more affordable to own.
It has one DC outlet and two 120V AC outlets. You also get an 8A 12V outlet to charge batteries.
This smart generator also offers overload protection to protect the internal parts of the circuit. It will shut off automatically to avoid sustaining damage in case it gets overloaded. This way you do not only protect the generator but your other appliances as well.
Storing and carrying the unit is a breeze thanks to its lightweight and compact size. You can even travel with it!
All in all, Yamaha EF2000iSv2, 1600 Running Watts/2000 Starting Watts, Gas Powered Portable Inverter is ideal for powering small to medium appliances. Thanks to its compact size, it can be carried and stored with great ease.
2. WEN 56200i Super Quiet 2000-Watt Portable Inverter Generator
- Dimensions: 18" x 11" x 18" | Weight: 48 lbs
- Noise Level: 53 dB operation
- EPA III and CARB Compliant 79.7 cc 4-stroke OHV engine produces...
- Great for campgrounds, construction sites, tailgates and power...
- Produces clean power to safely operate and prevent damage to...
WEN 56200i offers 2000 surge watts and 1600 rated watts. It’s ideal for powering multiple appliances including LCDs, washing machines. In fact, you can even use it to power sensitive appliances like laptops.
WEN 56200i produces only 51 decibels of noise at 25% load and 55 dBa when the load reaches 75%. Experts say it equals to the noise produced by two humans conversing at a distance of 23 feet. There aren’t many generators that can suppress a lot of noise at higher loads but this one does it like a pro.
Thanks to the pure sine wave replication technology, it can keep the harmonic distortion to 0.3%. Hence, expect clean electricity from this unit. You can charge your mobile phones and laptops without any worries. In fact, it has a USB port where you can directly connect your appliances. It’s neatly placed and quite durable as well.
The eco mode feature in this generator keeps fuel consumption as low as possible. The unit can measure power requirements and adjust fuel consumption accordingly. This way, fuel wastage is kept to a minimum.
The one-gallon fuel tank allows you to operate this generator for 4 hours at full load and 6 hours at half load.
It supports the parallel connection as well. You can connect a second unit using a cable and double the wattage power to deal with heavier loads.
WEN 56200i Super Quiet 2000-Watt Portable Inverter Generator, CARB Compliant is among the best portable silent generators but may not be suitable to run big appliances.
3. Briggs & Stratton 30651 P2200 PowerSmart Series Portable Generator
- Run time: Up to 10 at 1/4 Load
- Running Amps 21.7A
- Alternator: Permanent magnet
- Clean and instant power to keep appliances and other important...
- Quieter than a traditional camping generator with enough power to...
Briggs & Stratton P2200 has the right mix of features that will allow you to breathe a sigh of relief during power outages. It is a small unit but it is capable of running even some big appliances like refrigerators and ovens.
Apart from looking aesthetically pleasing, it is also easy to use. The simple recoil system starts the generator and its 3 LED lights tell you about the current status of the generator.
The first one shows the current status, 2nd light shows overload, and the third tells you if oil is low. This feature makes it easy to use and maintain the unit.
The engineers have given thorough thought to make it secure. It has multiple reset buttons for more safety.
It contains two 120v electric outlets for home appliances and one 12v DC plug for device charging (mobile, tablets etc). If that’s not enough outlets then consider making a parallel connection. You can connect two generators together and raise its power from 2200 watts to 4400 watts.
A one gallon fuel tank is enough to make it run for 8 hours at 25% load. The icing on the cake is its noise output. This portable generator produces only 59 dBa of sound at a distance of 23 feet (on ¼ load). It will not disturb you while you’re at work or asleep.
This portable generator is marked safe for laptops and sensitive electronics because it produces less than 3% harmonic distortion. Therefore, you won’t have to worry about any fluctuations or anomalies.
Briggs & Stratton 30651 P2200 PowerSmart Series Portable 2200-Watt may not be the most powerful generator out there but it’s definitely one of the easiest to handle due to its small size and reliable output. Consider it if you want a generator that creates little to no sound.
4. Westinghouse iGen1200 Super Quiet Portable Inverter Generator
- 1000 Rated Watts and 1200 Peak Watts at Less Than 3% THD –...
- Great Choice for Home Use as an Emergency Backup in a Power...
- Extremely Quiet, Extremely Fuel Efficient: As Low as 52 dBA Noise...
- Parallel Capable - Combine Your iGen1200 with the Westinghouse...
- All Westinghouse Portable Generators are Functionally Tested in...
If you’re in search of a quiet and light generator then iGen1200 can be a good choice. This 1000 watt rated and 1200 watt peak generator might not provide you with a lot of power but can be a good choice when you want to run small appliances or carry a unit outdoors.
It has a 0.8 gallon fuel tank offering 9 hours of run-time at 50% loud and about 12 hours of runtime at 25% loud. If it is not enough, you can join two models to get more run-time and power.
Its double insulated acoustic enclosure makes it operate silently. Plus, it also has cooling fans and mufflers to suppress noise. Thanks to these components, the generator produces only 52 decibels of sound at 25% load.
This fuel-efficient model uses 50% less fuel than most similar options out there. Its efficiency mode adjusts power usage as per requirements. Its 4-stroke 54cc stroke engine is durable and causes no fluctuations. Plus, features like sine wave technology make it safe to run sensitive appliances as well.
Its dimensions of 18.5 x 11.2 x 15.8 inches make it very portable as well. In fact, this is one of its biggest strengths.
If you need a small generator to carry on the go then pick this option. Westinghouse iGen1200 Super Quiet Portable Inverter Generator is silent and among the easiest to carry.
5. Honda 7000W Super Quiet Light Weight Inverter 120/240v Fuel Efficient Generator with iMonitor LCD
- Perfect for home back up power, RVs, outdoor events, and more
- Super quiet & fuel efficient
- Electric start
- Honda My Generator app + Bluetooth capability
- CO-MINDER: advanced carbon monoxide detection system
Let’s talk about some powerful units. This beauty from Honda can run everything from ACs to dryers to refrigerators. Its fuel-efficient generator and requires very little maintenance.
Despite offering higher watts of power (7000W), it produces a sound of only 52 decibels at 25% load and 60 decibels at full load.
The Honda EU7000IS generator can operate for 18 hours at 25% loud. This falls down to 6 hours at rated load. This powerful generator is quite easy to use and manage. It features the electric button start mechanism. Just a single push is enough to get it started.
There’s also an i-Monitor LCD that shows fuel usage, oil left, overload status, engine speed, and hours of operation. This LCD keeps you updated about your generator’s performance and helps in keeping it well maintained.
It comes with additional features to suppress the noise. These include a USDA-qualified spark arrestor/muffler. You can use the generator without worries as it is quite safe to run. It features an electronic circuit breaker that stops the flow of current if the engine malfunctions or gets overloaded.
Other than this, it can handle small appliances without any trouble as it produces clean electricity and incorporates less than 2.5% THD.
Honda 7000W Super Quiet Light Weight Inverter 120/240v Fuel Efficient Generator with iMonitor LCD can be an excellent pick for users looking for a quiet generator that can handle heavy loads. It uses small fuel injection technology and has Honda’s reliable GX390 engine for support.
6. Briggs & Stratton 30675 Q6500 Inverter Generator
- QuietPower Series Inverter Technology - Inverter technology...
- 306cc Integrated Engine/Alternator - A highly-efficient...
- Protective, Noise-Reducing Shell - With an all-steel frame...
- Compact, Lightweight Design - With a design that’s 45% more...
- CO Guard carbon monoxide shutdown technology - Shuts down the...
This generator is a blend of power and silent operation. With 6500 watts of starting power, it will run your home appliances like a pro.
The integrated 306cc Briggs & Stratton engine in this unit is capable of delivering top notch and consistent power to run heavier appliances such as dryers, irons, LCDs, computers, and washing machines. In fact, it can run multiple big appliances at once.
You won’t experience failed starts as it offers 6500 watts of starting power. In addition to that, thanks to the consistent running watts of 5500w, there won’t be any fluctuations or voltage drops while the generator is operational.
Considering the higher number of watts it offers, the sound produced by this unit is fairly less compared to heavier generators. It produces only 66 decibels at 25% load.
The sound does increase with the load increment but thanks to the noise suppressing shell that encloses the generator, the noise is minimized and the internal parts are also kept well protected.
The unit weighs only 138 pounds and has a telescopic handle to move it easily. Moreover, its 8” wheels attached make it easier to move the generator from place to place.
It contains four 20V-20A GFCI-protected outlets, two USB outlets and one 120V-240V-30A locking outlet. The huge number of outlets makes it suitable for homes and RVs as well.
You get to run this generator for 14 straight hours on a full tank. You can work or sleep peacefully without having to worry about refills. It also has a fuel gauge so you know when it’s time to add fuel. Plus, you can even keep an eye on the output thanks to the power meter.
Briggs & Stratton 30675 Q6500 Inverter Generator is for people who want a powerful but quiet generator.
Factors To Consider When Choosing A Quiet Generator
- Inverter Technology: Generators that work on inverter technology tend to create less noise. These generators usually come in a body casing that fully encloses the generator and restricts the noise from getting out. Hence, most of the noise is suppressed within the body frame.
- Low Tone Mufflers: Low tone mufflers play an important role in reducing noise. However, not all generators may have this feature.
- The Wheels: It is normal for some engines to vibrate while operational. This vibration can make a screeching sound if the wheels are not made of rubber. So pay special attention to this feature.
- Safety Features: This has nothing to do with noise but for your safety. Choose a generator that is safe to run all kinds of appliances and can produce enough power. Generators that offer pure sine wave technology are safe to operate sensitive appliances like laptops and mobile phones.Other than this, look for auto shut off feature and low oil alerts as well.
These were some of quietest generators that you can consider. In the end, pick one that fulfills your requirements and delivers the power that you require. Also, remember that generators may begin to get noisy with time. Make sure to keep them well maintained so that they continue to run for a long time without showing problems.